• The KillerFrogs

2019-20 bowl games thread

froglash88

Like the 2 levels of flagrant fouls in basketball, there should be 2 levels of targeting. Obvious intent = automatic ejection. Unfortunate, but dangerous should equate to 30 minutes off the clock and return to game or first half of next game.

Paint It Purple

Not so much running forward, but making a move on your own I believe. The steps he made were from defensive contact, rather than him initiating a move.
This is the NFL rule. Not sure if NCAA is same. It doesn't say anything about steps forward or how many steps. Just says an additional step. Does say a step is a move, as long as (a) & (b) are satisfied. My hypothetical to test this would be: Say the receiver ran backwards all the way to the end-zone with the ball secured in his hands as this receiver did. Then, the D-back strips the ball. Is that a fumble?

A player who makes a catch may advance the ball. A forward pass is complete (by the offense) or intercepted (by the defense) in the field of play, at the sideline, or in the end zone if a player, who is inbounds:

a. secures control of the ball in his hands or arms prior to the ball touching the ground; and

b. touches the ground inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands; and

c. after (a) and (b) have been fulfilled, performs any act common to the game (e.g., tuck the ball away, extend it forward, take an additional step, turn upfield, or avoid or ward off an opponent), or he maintains control of the ball long enough to do so.

PS: I hate Ohio State. So I laugh at their whining and crying.

froginmn

This is the NFL rule. Not sure if NCAA is same. It doesn't say anything about steps forward or how many steps. Just says an additional step. Does say a step is a move, as long as (a) & (b) are satisfied. My hypothetical to test this would be: Say the receiver ran backwards all the way to the end-zone with the ball secured in his hands as this receiver did. Then, the D-back strips the ball. Is that a fumble?

A player who makes a catch may advance the ball. A forward pass is complete (by the offense) or intercepted (by the defense) in the field of play, at the sideline, or in the end zone if a player, who is inbounds:

a. secures control of the ball in his hands or arms prior to the ball touching the ground; and

b. touches the ground inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands; and

c. after (a) and (b) have been fulfilled, performs any act common to the game (e.g., tuck the ball away, extend it forward, take an additional step, turn upfield, or avoid or ward off an opponent), or he maintains control of the ball long enough to do so.

PS: I hate Ohio State. So I laugh at their whining and crying.
Yeah it's act common to the game. I would imagine that they didn't feel he had the ball long enough to ward off the defender and/or take a step with his own momentum.