• The KillerFrogs

FWST: ‘He just keeps getting better.’ TCU’s Max Duggan takes another step vs. Texas Tech.

4th. down

this, the straight speed was a known coming into the season, but the the elusive nature and instincts he has shown running the ball have been surprising and what has resulted in a number of big runs this year

I don't really know what to say about him except we have to keep him healthy and that's going to be difficult.

IMO, this sums him up at this point - the disallowed TD against Baylor where he broke 2 tackles on the way to the 9 yd. line whereas he encounters 3 Baylor DBs and blows them up and dives into the endzone. I mean really, Boykin's patented flip into the endzone was impressive but this was an all time highlight reel and a true freshman QB at that.

4th. down

Who is faster on a sprint run - Max or Boykin?

IMO Max, with great acceleration, but Boykin had more "juke" in him, but Max is shifty and it's coupled with strength as he struggles to break tackles. He's good a ducking his head in the pocket when they are on him and escaping. Dana H. knows how Boykin was in the run/get away from your ass scenario.

As 1999 alluded to - injury free, how is that going to be possible?

Ron Swanson

Curious what you thought was bad about Sonny’s okay calling yesterday???
I thought Sonny was fine yesterday, but if we are being honest with ourselves...

On the first touchdown drive, Max made two long runs (on a 3rd & 9 at the 50 and then on a 3rd & 6 when he scored the TD) to keep the drive alive on busted plays where there were defenders immediately in the backfield and Duggan evaded the sack. I would hardly say Sonny should get credit for those seven points. His plays absolutely didn’t work as drawn up, he was bailed out by Max making great heads-up runs when the pocket immediately collapsed on passing plays.

And then right after that, the defense forced a turnover and we got the ball in red raider territory and we were only able to get a field goal. So that is three points kind of gifted to the offense (to be fair, they had to get about 20 yards to get into FG range).

Outside of that, we only scored 23 points against a terrible defense.

I’m not saying Sonny sucks or he didn’t call a good game yesterday, but we were hardly lights out on offense either.

Moose Stuff

I thought Sonny was fine yesterday, but if we are being honest with ourselves...

On the first touchdown drive, Max made two long runs (on a 3rd & 9 at the 50 and then on a 3rd & 6 when he scored the TD) to keep the drive alive on busted plays where there were defenders immediately in the backfield and Duggan evaded the sack. I would hardly say Sonny should get credit for those seven points. His plays absolutely didn’t work as drawn up, he was bailed out by Max making great heads-up runs when the pocket immediately collapsed on passing plays.

And then right after that, the defense forced a turnover and we got the ball in red raider territory and we were only able to get a field goal. So that is three points kind of gifted to the offense (to be fair, they had to get about 20 yards to get into FG range).

I’m not saying Sonny sucks or he didn’t call a good game yesterday, but we were hardly lights out on offense either.

My sole contention was that Sonny wasn’t bad yesterday.

tcumaniac

Max is already becoming one of my favorite frogs of all time, and I expect him to easily be my favorite when all is said and done.

Hard not to love this kid. Not only is he extremely bright with elite level talent, he’s a damn warrior too. It’s impossible not to notice how much he cares and how badly he wants to win.

And let’s not forget Max has been playing with a severely jammed (possibly fractured) middle finger on his throwing hand the last two games. I didn’t hear it mentioned once on the broadcast yesterday, but there were multiple times you could see him shaking his hand in pain. Doesn’t slow down Mad Max.

Moose Stuff

Max is already becoming one of my favorite frogs of all time, and I expect him to easily be my favorite when all is said and done.

Hard not to love this kid. Not only is he extremely bright with elite level talent, he’s a damn warrior too. It’s impossible not to notice how much he cares and how badly he wants to win.

And let’s not forget Max has been playing with a severely jammed (possibly fractured) middle finger on his throwing hand the last two games. I didn’t hear it mentioned once on the broadcast yesterday, but there were multiple times you could see him shaking his hand in pain. Doesn’t slow down Mad Max.

I would say my two favorite players right now are both freshmen (Max/Washington) and both appear to have all the intangibles you would want in a kid you are building around.

There were times in the second half yesterday when we had 3 RS Frosh and 4 true frosh on defense at the same time FWIW.

Froggish

Curious what you thought was bad about Sonny’s okay calling yesterday???

No coordinator is all good or all bad on every snap..Sonny has some good moments in Sats game. He’s had good moments in every game. Again nobody is all good/bad. It’s important to note that IMO at the end of a game the good almost never out weighs the bad with him. I’m sure I’ll be accused of being blind to it and I can live with that. I thought the redzone TD to TayeMike was a great call and he showed flashes of things of new things like the speed option. (Which proceeds to go back to multiple times and it got blown up). There was also abusive level bad in middle of the game that lasted for a long stretches where the Tech Def Coord was essentially blitzing on every play giving SC the middle finger. Max was taking shot after shot and turning crap into gold because SC wouldn’t call anything hot or make them pay for the blitz. I especially loved how he kept calling deep drop passes without a check down just to make it especially hard on Max.

I don’t think SC is a bad guy or without some creative ideas. I just see a guy who is consistently being out schemed week after week and struggles most after the game kicks off...

Just one guys opinion.

CountryFrog

A lot of truth in this. The only thing I'd say as a counter point is that Sonny is the one who got Max to come here and is the QB coach. Many of us have been critical of the QB recruiting and development since Boykin left, but I do think you have to give Sonny credit for getting this guy in here to make those plays you talked about. You can't be a great team without great players. We've been lacking a great QB for a while but we may have one now and Cumbie gets a whole lot of the credit for that.

So from that perspective, you kind of do give some credit to Cumbie when Max makes one of those great Max plays.

Moose Stuff

No coordinator is all good or all bad on every snap..Sonny has some good moments in Sats game. He’s had good moments in every game. Again nobody is all good/bad. It’s important to note that IMO at the end of a game the good almost never out weighs the bad with him. I’m sure I’ll be accused of being blind to it and I can live with that. I thought the redzone TD to TayeMike was a great call and he showed flashes of things of new things like the speed option. (Which proceeds to go back to multiple times and it got blown up). There was also abusive level bad in middle of the game that lasted for a long stretches where the Tech Def Coord was essentially blitzing on every play giving SC the middle finger. Max was taking shot after shot and turning crap into gold because SC wouldn’t call anything hot or make them pay for the blitz. I especially loved how he kept calling deep drop passes without a check down just to make it especially hard on Max.

I don’t think SC is a bad guy or without some creative ideas. I just see a guy who is consistently being out schemed week after week and struggles most after the game kicks off...

Just one guys opinion.

Just responding to your Sonny “did very little to help him” comment. We had 549 yards and 43:30 TOP. I’m not a Sonny defender and I’m not saying he was great but I’m not gonna go out of my way to find fault in yesterday’s performance.

flyfishingfrog

Unless Sonny’s game plan was telling Max our receivers won’t be open most plays and our oline can’t block long enough to keep a pocket on the others- so run for your life and hope you find daylight...

then I see little reason to give Sonny credit for much of anything - the offense opened up after Max forced his way for yards and made them back off on his own

maybe waking up enough to put in Andrew Coker and / or telling Max that #4 is your best option not #1 if he had anything to do with either of those changes

Ron Swanson

A lot of truth in this. The only thing I'd say as a counter point is that Sonny is the one who got Max to come here and is the QB coach. Many of us have been critical of the QB recruiting and development since Boykin left, but I do think you have to give Sonny credit for getting this guy in here to make those plays you talked about. You can't be a great team without great players. We've been lacking a great QB for a while but we may have one now and Cumbie gets a whole lot of the credit for that.

So from that perspective, you kind of do give some credit to Cumbie when Max makes one of those great Max plays.
Oh, 100% Sonny is a great recruiter. I really like the guy and want it to work for him here, but if we are speaking strictly to his OC abilities, at this point I’m highly skeptical of his ability to run an offense.

CountryFrog

Just responding to your Sonny “did very little to help him” comment. We had 549 yards and 43:30 TOP. I’m not a Sonny defender and I’m not saying he was great but I’m not gonna go out of my way to find fault in yesterday’s performance.
The other thing I'd put in the plus column for Sonny is that we're actually one of the better 3rd down offenses in the entire country and we were great there again yesterday. OC has to get a lot of the credit for that.

To take the next step as an offense, we need more big plays in the passing and running game so that we don't HAVE TO convert so many third downs to move the ball down the field. That of course is up to the OC to help figure that out.

CountryFrog

Oh, 100% Sonny is a great recruiter. I really like the guy and want it to work for him here, but if we are speaking strictly to his OC abilities, at this point I’m highly skeptical of his ability to run an offense.
Very true. It's just hard to parse Sonny out into three different people: the recruiter, the QB Coach, and the OC. I understand your point and its valid but I'm just looking at the whole package.