• The KillerFrogs

Medal of Honor

Moose Stuff

Today, the Congressional Medal of Honor, the nation's highest military honor, was awarded to

Master Sgt. Matthew Williams. Matthew is the husband of TCU alumnus Kate Gie. Well done, Matthew!

I had a Medal of Honor recipient on my flight to Tampa last week. Guess he was headed to some function honoring all of them. Only something like 70 of them alive today. Had no idea. Had a very cool reception waiting for him at the arrival gate. Anyway, congrats to Master Sgt Williams!

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Just some trivia about the elite club of the blue ribbon...

MoH recipients are entitled to several benefits, not the least of which, is the gratitude of every American.

MoH recipients are afforded special status when exchanging salutes. Though, not required it is encouraged while while salute initiator is in uniform and the MOH awardee is wearing the medal even if the awardee is in civies. Dubya always made it a point to snap one off first as CaC.

MoH awardees are entitled to a monthly stipend.

MoH awardees are entitled to free, priority space available travel travel. This lifelong Space-A benefit allows them to jump the line and bump the most senior fliers.

MoH recipient also get preferred access for dependents into the military academies.

MoH wearers are entitled to other on post amenities such special parking spaces, access for life to PX/commissary, pools, gyms, etc.

Recipients get full grave site honors with gold lettering on the headstone.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
Our own Horace Carswell, of Northside HS and TCU fame, was awarded a posthumous CMH. Of course, the NAS types are doing their best to remove his name from the base.

"Born in Fort Worth, Texas, to Horace Seaver Carswell, Sr. and Bertha (Rea) Carswell, Carswell attended North Side High School, where he played football, with his highlight being the winning touchdown he scored on Armistice Day in a game against Wichita Falls in 1933. After graduation from North Side, Horace attended college at Texas A&M University for a year as a member of the class of 1938, and then began attending Texas Christian University (since four of his uncles were Methodist preachers) where he graduated in August 1939 with a bachelor's degree in physical education. Among his teammates on the Horned Frog football team were quarterbacks Sammy Baugh and Davey O'Brien.

On a double date while still at TCU, Horace met a co-ed featured in one of the yearbook's beauty pages, by the name of Virginia Adaline Ede. Virginia was from a ranching family from the west Texas town of San Angelo. They were married in October 1941."

Frog DJ

According to Military.com:

Williams' Special Forces team and a force of Afghan commandos had air assaulted into the Shok Valley on a daring mission to kill or a capture a high-value target in an remote village about 10,000 feet up on the side of a mountain.

The mission force immediately came under accurate enemy fire, which killed an interpreter instantly. The Americans and Afghans soon found themselves defending a tiny piece of ground on a 100-foot cliff against unrelenting enemy fire from above.

At one point in the fight, an enemy sniper shot staff Sgt. John Walding in the right leg, severing it below the knee. Master Sgt. Scott Ford, the team sergeant, took a round in the chest armor plate. The armor stopped the round, but another found his left arm a few minutes later. It passed through Ford and deflected off of Shurer's helmet.

"Again and again, Matt exchanged fire with the enemy and rescued his fellow soldiers," Trump said. "He guided his injured team sergeant, Scott Ford, down the mountain to safety.

"When Matt noticed two combatants moving toward a group of badly wounded, he immediately engaged the enemy fighters and killed them both."

The Green Berets called in roughly 70 danger close-air support missions on the enemy that included Army AH-64 Apache gunships, Air Force F-15s, A-10s and even a strike from a B-1 bomber to keep from being overrun while moving the wounded to medevac helicopters.

"Matt's incredible heroism helped ensure that not a single American soldier died in the battle of Shok Valley," Trump said.

"His ground commander later wrote 'I have never seen a troop so poised, focused and capable during a fight,' and Matt is without question and without reservation one of the bravest soldiers and people I have ever met."

Trump recognized Williams' fellow team members along with two Afghan interpreters who participated in the battle.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm feeling a little inadequate...

Go Frogs!

YA

Our own Horace Carswell, of Northside HS and TCU fame, was awarded a posthumous CMH. Of course, the NAS types are doing their best to remove his name from the base.

"Born in Fort Worth, Texas, to Horace Seaver Carswell, Sr. and Bertha (Rea) Carswell, Carswell attended North Side High School, where he played football, with his highlight being the winning touchdown he scored on Armistice Day in a game against Wichita Falls in 1933. After graduation from North Side, Horace attended college at Texas A&M University for a year as a member of the class of 1938, and then began attending Texas Christian University (since four of his uncles were Methodist preachers) where he graduated in August 1939 with a bachelor's degree in physical education. Among his teammates on the Horned Frog football team were quarterbacks Sammy Baugh and Davey O'Brien.

On a double date while still at TCU, Horace met a co-ed featured in one of the yearbook's beauty pages, by the name of Virginia Adaline Ede. Virginia was from a ranching family from the west Texas town of San Angelo. They were married in October 1941."
Don’t tell Aggie as they claim him as their own. No mention of TCU. Just all Aggie

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
No I don’t. Let his alma mater honor him. I bet he would think it was weird too.

I bet he’d be honored. I know I’d be honored to have him come.

I’m not sure why you think someone being honored for putting his life on the line for all of us is weird. Our stadium is named after someone that didn’t go to TCU. There are buildings on campus named after people that didn’t go to TCU. I’m not sure what makes it weird.

The TCU Football Jerk

Sadly, far too many of the recipients, whose exploits earned this prestigious award, were KIA and were never

aware of the honor.

I knew a guy who received the MOH for his actions in Korea. I got to talking to him playing golf one time and finally got up the nerve to ask him about it. He said he didn't like that he received it. Said he was no different or any more special than any of the other guys he served with. He said he hated the way people treated him special and the recognition he received all the time. Said a big component of it was that he felt guilty that he made it back and a lot of his guys didn't. I remember being really floored by his response. I've since seen interviews with other recipients of the award say similar things. Pretty humble guys.