• The KillerFrogs

My Pandora’s Box

2017Frog

"Sure, we turned Trill into Hill, but he wasn’t ours to begin with. I can’t imagine a program having success without being able to develop a player that touches the ball every single offensive play."

Oklahoma comes to mind.

Yeah, they have had success on the market. You may be the only one who thinks the staff there hasn’t played a role in turning the acquisitions into the players that end up in NYC.

I understand. Maybe that’s the case, but just pointing out that it’s possible given the circumstances, we could lower prices at a reasonable rate and better our chances of filling the stadium. Comparing ticket prices to huge P5 public schools isn’t very reasonable imo.
For comparison, Iowa State’s lowest ticket price vs Kansas is $25. Ours is $50. I think most here would say they do a good job of filling their stadium. Reported attendance totals for ISU this season is 100%,100% and 93%. Reported attendance totals for TCU this season is 90% and 92%. ISU has played two instate opponents and reported full capacity for both. We played a metroplex team and arguably didn’t sell 90% of our tickets (attendance always inflated). For those that argue we sell but don’t get people in the door, the numbers suggest we aren’t even selling 90% of tickets.
Sorry I brought up an old issue, but it’s clear we have some people that think doing things how everyone else does them is good enough. I’m not one of them.

And ISU has 35,000 students to our 10K. Plus, they played Iowa, which is another huge school that brings tons of fans, as well as Northern Iowa, which is as large as TCU. We've played Arkansas Pine Bluff (FCS school with ~2500 students) and SMU, who never brings anybody to their games. So getting 90% and 92% capacity is pretty damn good for us.

Oh, and our lowest priced ticket for KU is $45, $25 for group rate. So you didn't even get that basic fact straight.

TCUWIN

Long time reader here, feel it’s time for my first post. I have 3 areas of concern I’d like to address, maybe they’ve been talked about ad nauseam and if so just kick me off.

1- Allen, Matthews, Sawyer, Wooten, Robinson. What worries me the most right now is the overwhelming evidence that we have not recruited and developed a quarterback since Boykin. Sure, we turned Trill into Hill, but he wasn’t ours to begin with. I can’t imagine a program having success without being able to develop a player that touches the ball every single offensive play.

2- The Wildfrog. I love our big bruiser. How does anyone believe this is the best short yardage play given our personnel? Am I the only one that would pistol our transfer quarterback with both RB’s behind him to either side. Triple option run, and to keep the defense honest flip it to a wide open receiver every now and then? I cannot envision a team on our schedule that can scheme for or defend against three very formidable runners against our O-Line with the ability to quick hit throw it as well. I thought we were hiding this for later in the season, I can’t imagine we wouldn’t have used it Saturday if we had it drawn up.

3- Our attendance. This is such an easy fix. This is solely on the athletic and ticket department. Many of you all have season tickets, I do not. Face value for a 400 level ticket against Kansas is $50. Those tickets are not worth more than $15. We have unsold tickets and empty seats solely because we have lost touch with reality. Non-season ticket holders and the general public WILL NOT pay $50 a seat just to get in to an 11am kick against Kansas and sit in section 400 row W.
Great first post. Unfortunately you set the bar very high for yourself. I agree with all three...especially no. 3.

OmniscienceFrog

Face value for a 400 level ticket against Kansas is $50. Those tickets are not worth more than $15. We have unsold tickets and empty seats solely because we have lost touch with reality. Non-season ticket holders and the general public WILL NOT pay $50 a seat just to get in to an 11am kick against Kansas and sit in section 400 row W.

ThisIsOurTime

Long time reader here, feel it’s time for my first post. I have 3 areas of concern I’d like to address, maybe they’ve been talked about ad nauseam and if so just kick me off.

Given your first post is critical of the program typically is the work of troll. But as a good Christian man, I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

1- Allen, Matthews, Sawyer, Wooten, Robinson. What worries me the most right now is the overwhelming evidence that we have not recruited and developed a quarterback since Boykin. Sure, we turned Trill into Hill, but he wasn’t ours to begin with. I can’t imagine a program having success without being able to develop a player that touches the ball every single offensive play.

TCU has had success with some quarterbacks. Andy Dalton and Boykin are the most high profile. Both did well here and made it to the NFL. That alone is more than a lot of colleges can say. TCU has also had some QBs that filled in admirably like Marcus Jackson and Zach Allen. These guys weren't highly ranked guys but did their job as backup quarterbacks that every team needs.

Of the other names you listed, they did not pan out but at any Big State U, you would see the same thing. If you think our record at QB is bad, look at the record at UT. They had a lengthy drought after McCoy.

And in the new transfer world of college football, it doesn't matter that Kenny Hill started at A&M. We still recruited him from high school and was partly why he ended up here as a transfer and is helping on the sideline now. There is no asterisk on the games won with Mr. Hill nor for any other school. For example, you wouldn't denigate OU because they have had a couple transfer QBs. They would be an example of a school that didn't have to develop their QBs for the last few years. Auburn would be another school that has done this with Cam Newton and with Stidham.

Also, I like our current starting quarterback and his potential for the future. If he can stay healthy, I see no reason why he won't develop into a high level quarterback. After all, he is literally a true freshman right now. With a couple years in the weight room, he will put on another 20 pounds and will be able to refine his game. We will just have to ride out some growing pains. And we may get some help sooner with that with Baldwin.

And since you like developing quarterbacks, names to watch will be Eli Williams and Alexander Honig. One of those guys could be another good one down the road.

2- The Wildfrog. I love our big bruiser. How does anyone believe this is the best short yardage play given our personnel? Am I the only one that would pistol our transfer quarterback with both RB’s behind him to either side. Triple option run, and to keep the defense honest flip it to a wide open receiver every now and then? I cannot envision a team on our schedule that can scheme for or defend against three very formidable runners against our O-Line with the ability to quick hit throw it as well. I thought we were hiding this for later in the season, I can’t imagine we wouldn’t have used it Saturday if we had it drawn up.
Wildfrog has been a good play for us in the past especially last year. But we have more options now so the coaches can be more versatile if they so choose. For example, they could use Delton with is running ability. If we want to throw it, we have two big TEs too. But this is the type of thing I will leave to the coaches. It is easy to second guess when your job isn't on the line.

3- Our attendance. This is such an easy fix. This is solely on the athletic and ticket department. Many of you all have season tickets, I do not. Face value for a 400 level ticket against Kansas is $50. Those tickets are not worth more than $15. We have unsold tickets and empty seats solely because we have lost touch with reality. Non-season ticket holders and the general public WILL NOT pay $50 a seat just to get in to an 11am kick against Kansas and sit in section 400 row W.
Don't care about stadium attendance. If that mattered to me, I would have gone to a Big State U. I like that TCU is small campus and the benefits that this has over a big state u.

Last edited:

2017Frog

And ISU has 35,000 students to our 10K. Plus, they played Iowa, which is another huge school that brings tons of fans, as well as Northern Iowa, which is as large as TCU. We've played Arkansas Pine Bluff (FCS school with ~2500 students) and SMU, who never brings anybody to their games. So getting 90% and 92% capacity is pretty damn good for us.

Oh, and our lowest priced ticket for KU is $45, $25 for group rate. So you didn't even get that basic fact straight.

I guess you can’t read that well. Pretty sure I noted that they played two in-state schools, and used our game against smu as comparison. Yes, all mighty fact checker, if I wanted to buy twenty+ tickets I could get them for $25.

How is the attendance looking right now?

I think you tried to shut me down with your superiority but all you did was show you either didn’t read the entire thing, cannot read, and are so out of touch with the reality that you believe our attendance problem has nothing to do with charging “what everyone else does.”

2017Frog

Given your first post is critical of the program typically is the work of troll. But as a good Christian man, I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

TCU has had success with some quarterbacks. Andy Dalton and Boykin are the most high profile. Both did well here and made it to the NFL. That alone is more than a lot of colleges can say. TCU has also had some QBs that filled in admirably like Marcus Jackson and Zach Allen. These guys weren't highly ranked guys but did their job as backup quarterbacks that every team needs.

Of the other names you listed, they did not pan out but at any Big State U, you would see the same thing. If you think our record at QB is bad, look at the record at UT. They had a lengthy drought after McCoy.

And in the new transfer world of college football, it doesn't matter that Kenny Hill started at A&M. We still recruited him from high school and was partly why he ended up here as a transfer and is helping on the sideline now. There is no asterisk on the games won with Mr. Hill nor for any other school. For example, you wouldn't denigate OU because they have had a couple transfer QBs. They would be an example of a school that didn't have to develop their QBs for the last few years. Auburn would be another school that has done this with Cam Newton and with Stidham.

Also, I like our current starting quarterback and his potential for the future. If he can stay healthy, I see no reason why he won't develop into a high level quarterback. After all, he is literally a true freshman right now. With a couple years in the weight room, he will put on another 20 pounds and will be able to refine his game. We will just have to ride out some growing pains. And we may get some help sooner with that with Baldwin.

And since you like developing quarterbacks, names to watch will be Eli Williams and Alexander Honig. One of those guys could be another good one down the road.

Wildfrog has been a good play for us in the past especially last year. But we have more options now so the coaches can be more versatile if they so choose. For example, they could use Delton with is running ability. If we want to throw it, we have two big TEs too. But this is the type of thing I will leave to the coaches. It is easy to second guess when your job isn't on the line.

Don't care about stadium attendance. If that mattered to me, I would have gone to a Big State U. I like that TCU is small campus and the benefits that this has over a big state u.

I am no troll, I love TCU. I do have extremely high standards, but I believe it’s only because we have enough talent and coaching to warrant those standards.

Yes, we developed Dalton and Boykin. I stated post-Boykin. I guess you do not think it’s an issue. I do. Maybe we can get a transfer for every quarterback in the future, i truly do not care. Just do not understand how we failed to develop some highly regarded kids. Yes Texas struggled but because they did it it’s okay we do it? Do we have to get their permission to play football at all?

I think our young QB has an extremely bright future. But, he was on campus for 8 months and the first 3 games of the season have left much to be desired. What happened in those 8 months? Game speeds up, I know but I’d argue our defense is one of the best/fastest units he will see and surely he faced them a handful of times.

Do you mean wild-frog has been a good play for us in the past like when Sewo got stuffed on fourth and goal at Kansas last season? I’d argue it hasn’t been too great, and is incredibly predictable.

I guess pat on the back that you do not care about attendance? I don’t remember saying I hate the small campus, just that we should be able to fill more seats given our position in the college football world and metroplex.

I guess you can’t read that well. Pretty sure I noted that they played two in-state schools, and used our game against smu as comparison. Yes, all mighty fact checker, if I wanted to buy twenty+ tickets I could get them for $25.

How is the attendance looking right now?

I think you tried to shut me down with your superiority but all you did was show you either didn’t read the entire thing, cannot read, and are so out of touch with the reality that you believe our attendance problem has nothing to do with charging “what everyone else does.”
Good grief dude, I posted that a few days ago, and you’re now responding during a game?
Go chug some bleach.

2017Frog

Good grief dude, I posted that a few days ago, and you’re now responding during a game?
Go chug some bleach.

I had a busy week. I checked, and then posted a response. Figured that’s how this thing works, but you know better than I!!!

Hm, probably not going to chug bleach.

I guess that’s how you respond to people that question you? Telling them to kill themselves? Good look.

froginmn

I think our young QB has an extremely bright future. But, he was on campus for 8 months and the first 3 games of the season have left much to be desired. What happened in those 8 months? Game speeds up, I know but I’d argue our defense is one of the best/fastest units he will see and surely he faced them a handful of times.
Don't look now but we appear to be developing Duggan.