• The KillerFrogs

ESPN take on TCU vs Purdue

TX_Krötenechse

If we go 4-8 then something went incredibly wrong and out of GPs control. I can’t imagine a GP team ever missing a bowl game again.
I dunno, Purdue could be tough and SMU is seemingly improved under Dykes. They have a decent team this year, I would say 7 or 8 wins. Tech might be better with their new coach and who even knows whether or not Kansas will be worth a damn. Baylor is improved on offense and their defense looks OK, although they’re super thin on the DL so that might catch up to them throughout the season. UT and OU look legit. Haven’t watched KSU or OSU yet. WVU looks like garbage. ISU looks decent.

I guess my point is that we should definitely beat Kansas and WVU, most likely will beat SMU and KSU as well. UT and OU are likely losses and the rest are toss-ups at best. If we don’t find an effective offense then we’re looking at another 2013.

Froggish

I dunno, Purdue could be tough and SMU is seemingly improved under Dykes. They have a decent team this year, I would say 7 or 8 wins. Tech might be better with their new coach and who even knows whether or not Kansas will be worth a damn. Baylor is improved on offense and their defense looks OK, although they’re super thin on the DL so that might catch up to them throughout the season. UT and OU look legit. Haven’t watched KSU or OSU yet. WVU looks like garbage. ISU looks decent.

I guess my point is that we should definitely beat Kansas and WVU, most likely will beat SMU and KSU as well. UT and OU are likely losses and the rest are toss-ups at best. If we don’t find an effective offense then we’re looking at another 2013.

I guess I have over inflated expectations for our program but I feel like we should never be a program that misses bowl games..In my opinion with our financial resources and our legendary head coach, we really should have expectations to win 8-10 in most years. Contending for titles really should be a base line expectation for us. Is that tough and will there be years like last? Absolutely....but I hope we never become a program that accepts mediocrity. It’s tough to be a fan of a program like that. Even a legend like GP won’t be able to hold up to a long run of 7 win seasons..Nor should he..

CountryFrog

Seems a little early in the season to be determining how good everyone is, idk.

Wexahu

I guess I have over inflated expectations for our program but I feel like we should never be a program that misses bowl games..In my opinion with our financial resources and our legendary head coach, we really should have expectations to win 8-10 in most years. Contending for titles really should be a base line expectation for us. Is that tough and will there be years like last? Absolutely....but I hope we never become a program that accepts mediocrity. It’s tough to be a fan of a program like that. Even a legend like GP won’t be able to hold up to a long run of 7 win seasons..Nor should he..

We need a sustained period of good QB play, it’s the one position where we just seem to have trouble developing guys. Not one of our own recruits has really been worth a damn since Boykin and that almost seemed like blind luck. Hopefully that’s about to change or the inconsistency is going to continue because we don’t have quite enough at other positions year to year to overcome an average QB.

asleep003

UAPB won 52-34 against a team they lost to 45-14 last year, early indications look like they are much improved versus last year.

Grasping at straws here.
Not really. They put up well over 600 yards against Alabama A&M in that win. Plus scoring those 52 points in the 1st 3 quarters.

Froggish

We need a sustained period of good QB play, it’s the one position where we just seem to have trouble developing guys. Not one of our own recruits has really been worth a damn since Boykin and that almost seemed like blind luck. Hopefully that’s about to change or the inconsistency is going to continue because we don’t have quite enough at other positions year to year to overcome an average QB.

Agreed....Good programs consistently get good play from the most important position on the field. We have to get there. We seem to find a reasonable amount of consistency on the defensive side so I know it can be done at QB. We just have to find the right guy to recruit and develop them.

asleep003

Agreed....Good programs consistently get good play from the most important position on the field. We have to get there. We seem to find a reasonable amount of consistency on the defensive side so I know it can be done at QB. We just have to find the right guy to recruit and develop them.
There is too much talent for us not to accomplish this prior to B12 competition, between Delton/Duggan/ and a healing Collins.

sapoman

WE WILL NOT LOSE TO UT! You heard it here first.

CountryFrog

I don't understand how Boykin was "blind luck."

McGregor's Goat

My take on any attempts at trash talk or "disrespect" going into the Purdue game: I have no idea if this TCU team is good and I don't know how anyone else has a strong opinion. The defense is probably good, the offense has good talent, but... it's coming off a bad season, Cumbie might just be a bad OC, Delton has shown virtually no evidence of being a decent passer in his career, etc. So the fact that Purdue is favored by 2 seems reasonable, and we'll find out where we stand this weekend.

Wexahu

I don't understand how Boykin was "blind luck."

Maybe it wasn't, but given how little the QB's have developed other than him, that may have been a perfect match between offense and QB more than anything. Even then, it's not like he ever was much of a real polished player, he did a lot of his best work just using his instincts when plays broke down.

Oh well, never mind, we've done a good job of developing QBs here as of late, what was I thinking?

Limp Lizard

If we with 7 or 8 wins this year, something is seriously wrong with this PROGRAM. We have been winning long enough and had enough top 10 finishes to expect much, much better. GP swears that he is signing the guys he wants and to hell with the rankings. To me that means we have comparable talent to Texas and OU. Otherwise admit Gary that we are fighting to win with less talent and the rankings are correct.

All that adds up to 8 wins for a serious rebuilding season, which this definitely is not. Expecting double digit wins every year is correct, based on what we are told. Every year you can't tell us most of the players are young as an excuse...not every year. Eventually you have to have more experienced teams.

All of the above is if we go 7 or 8 wins. Then the program needs serious, serious work. However, I am expecting double digit wins. Lots of bad breaks and we don't win the conference to a team that makes it to a title game. Sorry, we have diddled around enough. Time to start being a major force!

CountryFrog

Maybe it wasn't, but given how little the QB's have developed other than him, that may have been a perfect match between offense and QB more than anything. Even then, it's not like he ever was much of a real polished player, he did a lot of his best work just using his instincts when plays broke down.

Oh well, never mind, we've done a good job of developing QBs here as of late, what was I thinking?
I never said we've done a great job of developing QBs lately, but to just write off Boykin as blind luck and now calling him unpolished seems pretty dumb. He was one of the best QBs I've seen in college football. You don't have to lie/exaggerate about whatever shortcomings he may have had to try and support your point that we've struggled with QB selection and development outside of Boykin.