• The KillerFrogs

2020 Recruiting Thread

Ron Swanson

He may have had the 'tools', but he never displayed the 'instincts' required for quality QB play.
I understand that, which is why I said the coaches were waiting for it to click with him. And to be fair, he only played half of one season his freshman year. It’s not like the coaches gave him 3 seasons of leash.

A whole lot of people gave up on Boykin after two full years where they thought he never displayed the instincts required for quality QB play. We never would have had the 2014 & 2015 seasons if we had played Joekel instead of Boykin in 2014 like so many fans wanted.

Moose Stuff

I understand that, which is why I said the coaches were waiting for it to click with him. And to be fair, he only played half of one season his freshman year. It’s not like the coaches gave him 3 seasons of leash.

A whole lot of people gave up on Boykin after two full years where they thought he never displayed the instincts required for quality QB play. We never would have had the 2014 & 2015 seasons if we had played Joekel instead of Boykin in 2014 like so many fans wanted.

Get out of here with all this “making sense” [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ].

Billy Clyde

It's not even close to arguable that errbody wanted SR. Whatever MMQBing anybody wants to do has to start there. Hate that it didn't work out, but get the furk over it and move on. We've got some hosses in the stable now- I'm excited to see what they can do. Wish we'da had a Spring Game so that we could angst about who should be starting. Whoever starts, I'm betting we survive Arkansas-Pine Bluff.

Froggish

So the consensus with SR is that

1. He struggled because he was never healthy,
2. He struggled because first year starters suck a lot and
3. He struggled because he was lazy

I’m inclined to believe some combination of all three is true. Regardless loosing SR to Transfer means starting over again on the “growing pain” train and that sucks. Not to mention we have no evidence Cumbie can have any success with a 1st year starter. Maybe he was dealt a bad hand last year but If they can figure how thrive at places like TT and ISU with true freshman QBs, Cumbie should be able to figure it out as well.

Froggish

I’m happy to see Bama’s dominance end, if it happens, but not really happy that we’re just replacing one unbeatable program with another.

Seems to me that the recruiting gap between the top 5-10 schools and everyone else is getting bigger, but maybe that’s just my recency bias.

Funny thing is that it seems like the gap between about 18 and 40 is smaller then ever.

Punter1

Save for the first half of the Iowa State gane he had to play on 2 days notice his freshman year...Boykin looked light years ahead of SR in 2012...meaning he didnt make the stupid bonehead middle school mistakes SR KEPT making.

SR's lack of ball security was the worst I've seen in my entire life.

SnoSki

Save for the first half of the Iowa State gane he had to play on 2 days notice his freshman year...Boykin looked light years ahead of SR in 2012...meaning he didnt make the stupid bonehead middle school mistakes SR KEPT making.

SR's lack of ball security was the worst I've seen in my entire life.
They seem about the same in my mind but it has been a few years.

froginmn

LOL.

My comment was slightly tongue in cheek, but it’s certainly worth remembering that without a particular QB committing incomprehensibly awful turnovers, Ohio State and Texas were both games we arguably should have won.
Equally worthwhile to note, then, that the same QB made the plays to make those wins so tantalizingly close.

flyfishingfrog

Based on some views - I guess we don’t need coaches

I mean they are not responsible for whether we get good recruits or if those recruits have the right skills for our team or for ensuring the ones we do get develop into players that can contribute evidently

After all - I have learned the offense didn’t work well because we didn’t have any better options - but it’s not like the coaches had anything to do with that lack of options, right?

Some of you act like this is pee wee and the coaches are forced to figure out a way to win with the kids in the neighborhood

Last time I checked the coaches are who determined what kids we brought on campus and gave scholarships

Ron Swanson

Based on some views - I guess we don’t need coaches

I mean they are not responsible for whether we get good recruits or if those recruits have the right skills for our team or for ensuring the ones we do get develop into players that can contribute evidently

After all - I have learned the offense didn’t work well because we didn’t have any better options - but it’s not like the coaches had anything to do with that lack of options, right?

Some of you act like this is pee wee and the coaches are forced to figure out a way to win with the kids in the neighborhood

Last time I checked the coaches are who determined what kids we brought on campus and gave scholarships
I agree with you, but sometimes it just boils down to luck.

I’m sure in 2006 (in a weird alternate universe where Shawn Robinson was 11 years older) if the coaching staff had a choice between Andy Dalton or Shawn Robinson, they would’ve taken Robinson in a heart beat and we likely never would’ve made the Rose Bowl.

Recruiting these kids (especially QB’s) is a skill, but let’s face it, there is a lot of luck involved as well when it comes to who turns into a player.

flyfishingfrog

I agree with you, but sometimes it just boils down to luck.

I’m sure in 2006 (in a weird alternate universe where Shawn Robinson was 11 years older) if the coaching staff had a choice between Andy Dalton or Shawn Robinson, they would’ve taken Robinson in a heart beat and we likely never would’ve made the Rose Bowl.

Recruiting these kids (especially QB’s) is a skill, but let’s face it, there is a lot of luck involved as well when it comes to who turns into a player.
Winners make their own luck

Raw Frog

Blake Nowell is on his OV here this weekend. 6'4, 185 WR out of Ardmore.
His highlight reel reminds me of Josh Doctson. Kid can really highpoint it and come down with the ball...