• The KillerFrogs

Rock Bottom...TCU Baseball...

CryptoMiner

The problem is Travel Ball players

We need to stop recruiting them. Travel Ball has ruined youth baseball and fosters a sense of entitlement. No one knows how to face adversity and travel ball is to blame.

Travel ball coaches are more often than not much better than the HS coaches, exceptions certainly but see more travel ball coaches move to minor league positions than HS coaches.

Not sure what the issue you have with travel ball and have no idea how it builds entitlement as those teams are much more competitive than HS ball.

If you quit recruiting travel ball players you might as well close shop because there are very few players worth anything that do not play on travel teams.

flyfishingfrog

My experience with my grandsons has been that by 13 most kids who want to play baseball almost have to move to travel or select baseball because little league ends and most don’t have junior and up leagues anymore

Interesting thing for me is kids that play travel but don’t play for their high school team - kind of troubling but maybe that is the new norm like it becoming in basketball

Moose Stuff

didn't say it wouldn't - but when college coaches decided they wanted to make 7 figures, they also took on the reality that if you don't perform, you are likely to get replaced even if the next guy may not be any better.

what issue are you talking about that wouldn't change with our staff? because Baylor is laughing at our cost of attendance complaint the last two years...

Baylor has accomplished very little in the grand scheme of college baseball the last two years. As for cost of attendance, we’ve addressed this...... it’s a massive issue for us and isn’t going away. That’s not even 1% debatable. Can it be overcome? Sure, but it will require almost flawless recruiting or massive amounts of luck (see Preston Morrison) and will be hard to sustain without down years (see 2018 and 2019).

Moose Stuff

my biggest concern is - as Moose pointed out - that we don't seem to have a plan to turn it around over a couple of years. we seem to be in the beginning of a "gun for hire" approach, at least to survive for a few years.

And that often results in an inability to ever turn it around historically - of course today is not 10 years ago for sure. After all, what Tech did in basketball this year with a bunch of JUCO's has traditionally been thought impossible.

Maybe Schloss does have a vision via the underclassmen to get it turned around, but we don't have many of them getting much playing time as an investment in the future if so. But we do have a good recruiting class coming in - with the wildcard you never know how many make campus and guys like Moose have a much better view of that than I do for sure.

Looks like we could get to the same position with basketball - only with that it seems to be which of the new guys can make an impact and won't quit - but we will need this years freshman and next years recruits to play a big role their also or we will be in the juco recruiting cycle each year pretty quickly also.

Staff is heavily recruiting JUCO players because they HAVE to. They can get much more financial aid for them than they can HS kids.

CryptoMiner

Pharm wrote this in another thread, and I think it is a good observation that deserves to be seen here as well...

"There's something else that is quite noticeable and it has nothing to do with their play in the field (and it was quite noticeable last season as well - and perhaps the prior one although I don't recall it as much) -- this program used to have a standard of intensity, excellence, and hustle that extended far past live ball situations. Players sprinted to their positions and engaged quickly in their between inning preparations, they hustled down the line at all times...not just when they believed they had a chance to make it safely, and they got into and out of the dugout (and cleared the field) with an urgency that was quite uncommon. I'm not sure when this style of professionalism and intensity and focus left the program but it is markedly absent and has been for a while. Players ground out and lolly-gag around first base. Players strike out and saunter back to the dugout. Players are late arriving for between inning preparations. It used to be that you'd rarely (if ever) see a Frog player walking or lightly jogging between the lines. Now it's the norm. And this was true for game situations and in-and-outs.

I've mentioned this before but I knew (and know) many Okie Lite players and their parents. Going back to 2011 I was told by Okie Lite players, parents, and two coaches that the way TCU approached the game was intimidating as hell. One player told me directly that when you saw TCU show up and saw their non-game hustle and their focus and intensity, it made him wonder if he had prepared enough to play against a team that seemingly wanted it more than he did. This was immediately after TCU took 2 of 3 against Okie Lite and then turned around and beat Baylor for the second time that year.

And, I think that signature endeared this program to a certain segment of baseball fans. I hope we're not losing that."

Attitude. "A bad case of the wants." How do we get that back?

f535a303c8e2b823e7e41a5d5b53c0080f3b48a37c6e016561bfd12482aa898e.jpg

CryptoMiner

Staff is heavily recruiting JUCO players because they HAVE to. They can get much more financial aid for them than they can HS kids.

Can you explain? I did not realize that there were more options for JUCOs to get financial aid than incoming freshman.

You would think that HSers with good grades and high ACT/SATs would be at the top of the financial aid list followed by the specialty programs that TCU needs to fill.

Moose Stuff

Can you explain? I did not realize that there were more options for JUCOs to get financial aid than incoming freshman.

You would think that HSers with good grades and high ACT/SATs would be at the top of the financial aid list followed by the specialty programs that TCU needs to fill.

I can’t cite the specifics because I don’t remember them exactly, but it’s something like any JUCO kid with a GPA over 3.25 gets an automatic extra $18,000 in aid that a HS kid doesn’t have access to. I don’t know why this doesn’t apply to HS kids. And because I know someone will ask, YES I’m certain about this. The guy who would know told me straight to my face.

MinFrog

Has JS lost that fire in his belly now that he made Omaha a few times? It used to be all that he cared about his first few years. I wonder if he has lost that drive.

flyfishingfrog

Baylor has accomplished very little in the grand scheme of college baseball the last two years. As for cost of attendance, we’ve addressed this...... it’s a massive issue for us and isn’t going away. That’s not even 1% debatable. Can it be overcome? Sure, but it will require almost flawless recruiting or massive amounts of luck (see Preston Morrison) and will be hard to sustain without down years (see 2018 and 2019).
They have fielded a team that can make the post season

We didn’t last year and something will have to change for it this year

If our staff doesn’t think we can even be competitive for the post season because of cost of attendance, then they need to move on - that is 100% fact

Otherwise it’s a bs way to deflect what’s going on with the guys who did show up

flyfishingfrog

I can’t cite the specifics because I don’t remember them exactly, but it’s something like any JUCO kid with a GPA over 3.25 gets an automatic extra $18,000 in aid that a HS kid doesn’t have access to. I don’t know why this doesn’t apply to HS kids. And because I know someone will ask, YES I’m certain about this. The guy who would know told me straight to my face.
it’s because they are transfers - not JUCO specifically- and it is true of any transfer student

Kids transferring with good grades get more money than kids coming in from HS with those same grade points

Mostly because of supply and demand - lot more incoming freshman with 4.0 than sophomores or juniors looking to transfer - so it’s easier to get money and more available per capita

flyfishingfrog

Again a “fact” that are staff evidently uses but others schools with the same net cost of attendance aren’t having to fall back to and still at least making the post season

Maybe Schloss thinks he can make Omaha better with jucos willing to transfer than the high schoolers willing to pay full freight- which might be accurate but right now it’s not working and as you said - next year may be worse

flyfishingfrog

21k high schoolers applied to TCU last year - wanna guess how many sophomores and juniors applied for transfer?

Moose Stuff

Again a “fact” that are staff evidently uses but others schools with the same net cost of attendance aren’t having to fall back to and still at least making the post season

Please cite who these other high cost private schools are that never miss the post season. I’ll happily address each one individually. And don’t say Vanderbilt. Their endowment is so huge that they can give pretty much every guy on their team close to a full ride because they have the ability to do that for every student.

Last edited: