• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU coach Gary Patterson worried NCAA’s transfer waivers will ruin college football

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
TCU coach Gary Patterson worried NCAA’s transfer waivers will ruin college football

By Drew Davison

TCU coach Gary Patterson doesn’t like the way college football is trending when it comes to transfers.

The NCAA approved Tate Martell’s waiver to play immediately following his transfer from Ohio State to the University of Miami, just like the sanctioning body did when Justin Fields bolted Georgia for Ohio State earlier this offseason.

“We better be careful,” Patterson said. “We won’t have college football. It’s disappointing, to be honest with you. It’s disappointing.”

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article228266009.html#storylink=cpy

Wexahu

He's right about this. If it gets to a point where kids are free to transfer wherever they want, great for the kid I guess but I'll no longer be much of a fan. And if you're alienating the kind of fan that is willing to waste a bunch of time on a message board because they love following the sport so much, good luck with that.

Moose Stuff

He's right about this. If it gets to a point where kids are free to transfer wherever they want, great for the kid I guess but I'll no longer be much of a fan. And if you're alienating the kind of fan that is willing to waste a bunch of time on a message board because they love following the sport so much, good luck with that.

The more college football resembles the NFL the less interest I have in it.

WhatTheFrog

This practice does nothing more than reinforce the entitlement attitude that this generation already seems to have. What are they going to do when they want out of a cellphone plan, or a cable contract, or a lease/rent agreement?

Most of these guys won't see the NFL. They will find themselves in the world with the rest of us "regular folk" and it will be even harder for them to adjust. Kids need to start learning that there are consequences to their decisions as early as possible. If they aren't going to learn that at home, maybe college is the best time. After all, they are legally "adults" at that point. Time to start adulting.

Wexahu

They don't give a darn about the athlete, however they will say they are doing this for them.

It's not the NCAA's job to care about the athlete, it's their job to run and legislate athletic competitions. Caring about the athlete is a parent/family job, and if they don't like the parameters the NCAA sets on which to compete in their events, they are free to have their kid do something else. They have to talk the talk because that's what the public demands, but when "caring about the athlete" becomes their primary focus, they might as well cease to exist and everything can become intramural sports.

Eight

truth be told there are more restrictions on players moving in the nfl than in college now that the ncaa basically has decided to allow waivers for any and all reasons.

i have no problem with the transfer rule as it is written if the ncaa enforced their own damn rule.

complete your degree you can move without restrictions and if you have not completed your degree you have to sit a year. simple, clean and i don't think punitive to the student athlete. if we are preparing kids for the real world there are such things are noncompete's etc....

amazingly the ncaa somehow found a way to scheiss up the administration of the rule that was drafted by the ncaa which confirms they are either incompetent, gutless, or both.

Last edited:
Endeavoring to assemble the foundation for a team through recruiting could become a meaningless pursuit if

players are allowed to indiscriminately move from team to team without recourse.

Zubaz

Seems the transfer deal is just a symptom of this weird hybrid of what college football says it is vs. what it really is.

If you want to pretend that college football is "amateur", then you have to accept this or make some changes to the finances. If you want to recognize it for what it is, then the NFL and colleges need to work towards changing the way that college athletes are treated, then you can discuss transfer restrictions.

Wexahu

Seems the transfer deal is just a symptom of this weird hybrid of what college football says it is vs. what it really is.

What college football says it is? What is that supposed to mean? And who cares anyway?

All these recent rule changes are the result of public pressure to rectify the mostly fabricated storyline that NCAA athletes are somehow not treated fairly. Again, it's not the NCAA's job to be nice to kids and let them choose freely to do whatever they want, it's to establish a set of rules to play by, legislate those rules, and run events. That's it. If athletes don't want to play by them, that is fine, nobody is forcing them to.

Eight

What college football says it is? What is that supposed to mean? And who cares anyway?

All these recent rule changes are the result of public pressure to rectify the mostly fabricated storyline that NCAA athletes are somehow not treated fairly. Again, it's not the NCAA's job to be nice to kids and let them choose freely to do whatever they want, it's to establish a set of rules to play by, legislate those rules, and run events. That's it. If athletes don't want to play by them, that is fine, nobody is forcing them to.

except by allowing kids like martel and fields to transfer and not sit out the ncaa really isn't enforcing the rule they wrote.

as i said, i have no problem with a kid who graduates and still has eligibility to go play elsewhere. if i remember correctly athletic scholarships are annually renewable so they are not a guaranteed 5-year, but i could be wrong on that.

as far as students who don't have their degree the only change in how the law was written is the schools can no longer restrict where a player may transfer, but on paper they still have to sit out a year UNLESS the ncaa decides not to enforce their very own rule.

Wexahu

except by allowing kids like martel and fields to transfer and not sit out the ncaa really isn't enforcing the rule they wrote.

as i said, i have no problem with a kid who graduates and still has eligibility to go play elsewhere. if i remember correctly athletic scholarships are annually renewable so they are not a guaranteed 5-year, but i could be wrong on that.

as far as students who don't have their degree the only change in how the law was written is the schools can no longer restrict where a player may transfer, but on paper they still have to sit out a year UNLESS the ncaa decides not to enforce their very own rule.

Yes, the NCAA absolutely needs to enforce their own rules. The reason they aren’t is because of public pressure from people that somehow think the athletes aren’t treated fairly. Sign of the times as much as anything I suppose.

Dogfrog

Yea, NCAA appears to lack the self awareness to understand the uniqueness / strength of their brand - the image or illusion of the loyal amateur student athlete. Once players become virtual free agents I’m out. Maybe NCAA has convinced itself that if they don’t change, the courts will eventually change it for them so let’s be proactive. If so shame on them because it’s worth saving.