• The KillerFrogs

Has anyone seen my specialty plates?

DeuceBoogieNights

As someone who has never smoked it and has no desire to do so, I ask, what's the big deal about it?

Exactly. What's the big deal? There is no reason for it to be illegal, especially when I can go out and buy alcohol, cigs, and prescription drugs. Its dumb that adults can tell other adults what they can put in their body.

Froginbedford

Exactly. What's the big deal? There is no reason for it to be illegal, especially when I can go out and buy alcohol, cigs, and prescription drugs. Its dumb that adults can tell other adults what they can put in their body.

Repeal all restrictive drug laws...hop heads are people, too...nothing in the Constitution gives Congress or state legislatures the right to regulate ingestion of any substance....

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
As someone who has never smoked it and has no desire to do so, I ask, what's the big deal about it?
Fair question. Depends on your lifestyle. If you've never tried it and don't want to, there really is no big deal to you. But imagine if the tables were turned and someone took your whiskey or beer away and threw you in jail for simply wanting to take the edge off..

Heres what I mean. Since you never used you can't know this personally, but I vouch that, responsibly used (key phrase) at home, MJ is no worse than alcohol. You're in as much or more mental/physical control than alcohol, and don't have the hangover afterwards. In fact I can bring up limited MJ studies and more copious studies on alcohol that suggest the long term health effects are as bad or worse with the legal substance. We know alcohol to be a killer longterm to multiple organ systems. We KNOW this, yet we keep it legal and even socially encouraged.

Alcohol is our frontline self-medication substance when it comes to stress relief. Benzodiazepines I believe are still our frontline prescription solution. Both are extremely addictive and if you are heavily addicted you may have to be hospitalized to come off of either. Both are processed products not really found in nature unless you're rooting through rotting fruit bins. These are two factors which are not major issues associated with MJ.

So in essence, if I pick my equivalent mild intoxicant off a plant I grew myself and controlled the quality of, then I'm a criminal. But if I trust the Bud Light King to brew from grains in some massive factory and drink his swill, I'm socially accepted, dilly dilly.

It's complete nonsense, it's historically rooted in politics and racism, and it's time we as a society stopped being ignorant about it. And look at that, I made a case and didn't even bring up millions in new taxes for a substance already being consumed (with few noticed societal issues) in Texas by hundreds of thousands if not millions of people.

tcudoc

Here's a couple of good trivia questions:

The first video played on MTV trivia question got to be too easy (Video Killed the Radio Star by the Buggles), so I have adapted the question to a few much more difficult ones:

Try it without cheating

-What artist or group had the most unique video appearances (8) in the first 100 videos played on MTV and 11 unique videos (16 total with repeats) in the first 24 hours? Rod Stewart

-What was the second video ever played on MTV? Pat Benatar-You Better Run

-What was the first video to be repeated? The Who-You Better You Bet

-Name one of the three songs which were played 5 times each in the first 24 hours. Phil Collins-In the Air Tonight; The Who-You Better You Bet; April Wine-Just Between You and Me

-What was the first music video ever played on VH1? Marvin Gaye-Star Spangled Banner

Chico Dusty

Fair question. Depends on your lifestyle. If you've never tried it and don't want to, there really is no big deal to you. But imagine if the tables were turned and someone took your whiskey or beer away and threw you in jail for simply wanting to take the edge off..

Heres what I mean. Since you never used you can't know this personally, but I vouch that, responsibly used (key phrase) at home, MJ is no worse than alcohol. You're in as much or more mental/physical control than alcohol, and don't have the hangover afterwards. In fact I can bring up limited MJ studies and more copious studies on alcohol that suggest the long term health effects are as bad or worse with the legal substance. We know alcohol to be a killer longterm to multiple organ systems. We KNOW this, yet we keep it legal and even socially encouraged.

Alcohol is our frontline self-medication substance when it comes to stress relief. Benzodiazepines I believe are still our frontline prescription solution. Both are extremely addictive and if you are heavily addicted you may have to be hospitalized to come off of either. Both are processed products not really found in nature unless you're rooting through rotting fruit bins. These are two factors which are not major issues associated with MJ.

So in essence, if I pick my equivalent mild intoxicant off a plant I grew myself and controlled the quality of, then I'm a criminal. But if I trust the Bud Light King to brew from grains in some massive factory and drink his swill, I'm socially accepted, dilly dilly.

It's complete nonsense, it's historically rooted in politics and racism, and it's time we as a society stopped being ignorant about it. And look at that, I made a case and didn't even bring up millions in new taxes for a substance already being consumed (with few noticed societal issues) in Texas by hundreds of thousands if not millions of people.

“Is no worse than alcohol” - for sure, but I’d go as far as saying that it’s better for you than alcohol - and most studies agree. Alcohol kills people daily, weed does not.

In 2014, 30,722 people died from alcohol related causes in the US - and that does not count drinking-related accidents or homicides - if that were the case, it’d be 3X that number. Zero deaths attributed to marijuana.

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
Why are old people so scared of weed?
As an "old", I'm not scared of it. In fact, those of us who were teens in the '70's probably have more experience with it than you youngsters. If it were legal and someone I trusted passed me a joint, I might take a hit. However. it's still smoking and negatively impacts your lungs, so smokers beware.

(I've heard tell :rolleyes: that getting high and watching Disney's "Fantasia" makes for a fun evening.)

ShadowFrog

Moderators
As an "old", I'm not scared of it. In fact, those of us who were teens in the '70's probably have more experience with it than you youngsters. If it were legal and someone I trusted passed me a joint, I might take a hit. However. it's still smoking and negatively impacts your lungs, so smokers beware.

(I've heard tell :rolleyes: that getting high and watching Disney's "Fantasia" makes for a fun evening.)
Allegro non Troppo for the freu-Frey types

HFrog1999

Why are old people so scared of weed?

tumblr_n26h4pzMcZ1ttcbr8o1_400.gif

Frog-in-law1995

Repeal all restrictive drug laws...hop heads are people, too...nothing in the Constitution gives Congress or state legislatures the right to regulate ingestion of any substance....

Not that I’m arguing for regulation, but the 10th amendment specifically says any powers not expressly granted to the federal government are reserved for the states. So the constitution does, in fact, give the states the right to regulate pot.

Frog-in-law1995

Here's a couple of good trivia questions:

The first video played on MTV trivia question got to be too easy (Video Killed the Radio Star by the Buggles), so I have adapted the question to a few much more difficult ones:

Try it without cheating

-What artist or group had the most unique video appearances (8) in the first 100 videos played on MTV and 11 unique videos (16 total with repeats) in the first 24 hours? Rod Stewart

-What was the second video ever played on MTV? Pat Benatar-You Better Run

-What was the first video to be repeated? The Who-You Better You Bet

-Name one of the three songs which were played 5 times each in the first 24 hours. Phil Collins-In the Air Tonight; The Who-You Better You Bet; April Wine-Just Between You and Me

-What was the first music video ever played on VH1? Marvin Gaye-Star Spangled Banner

It’s amazing that craptacular programming survived the first week.