• The KillerFrogs

Should Strength & Conditioning, Athletic Training & Medical staff be held accountable?

Paint It Purple

coach Jamie Dixon said: “We had three guys who had season-ending injuries. Unheard of. Find me another team." And now Fisher. Again.

Uh, how about the football team, Jamie. Pretty sure CGP has said the same thing multiple times. So...what role does this staff play? Does TCU have the best talent in these positions? Coaches get held accountable, and players too? Yeah Yeah, I know injuries happen, but that's why you have the facilities and people to prevent and care for them. These people work tirelessly behind the scenes and can be under-appreciated when they do a great job, but the circumstances makes one wonder what's going on in this area. Do the coaches sit down with these folks and ask, "what the hell is going on?" I bet those meetings have taken place, and wonder what the answers have been.

I think there is something to it. You need more conditioning to be more injury resistant. Got to push in the right ways to have success during games for the whole year injury free.

I think our S&C coaches should be going to other programs, bringing in consultants, and getting some ideas how Power Conference programs get size, speed, and have no injuries (or as few as possible). It's OK to learn new things and ask for help, no time to be proud. Just help TCU athletics get better.

Moose Stuff

coach Jamie Dixon said: “We had three guys who had season-ending injuries. Unheard of. Find me another team." And now Fisher. Again.

Uh, how about the football team, Jamie. Pretty sure CGP has said the same thing multiple times. So...what role does this staff play? Does TCU have the best talent in these positions? Coaches get held accountable, and players too? Yeah Yeah, I know injuries happen, but that's why you have the facilities and people to prevent and care for them. These people work tirelessly behind the scenes and can be under-appreciated when they do a great job, but the circumstances makes one wonder what's going on in this area. Do the coaches sit down with these folks and ask, "what the hell is going on?" I bet those meetings have taken place, and wonder what the answers have been.

You really want to blame our trainers and strength and conditioning people for Alok’s broken hand and McWilliam’s concussion? Good grief.

Shorty

I think our S&C coaches should be going to other programs, bringing in consultants, and getting some ideas how Power Conference programs get size, speed, and have no injuries (or as few as possible). It's OK to learn new things and ask for help, no time to be proud. Just help TCU athletics get better.
You think they don't? How many successful people in the world, especially in a field as competitive as athletics, don't try to get better at their job?

SuperTFrog

You need more conditioning to be more injury resistant.

I honestly don’t think that is true for the most part. You see olympians and NFL athletes getting hurt all the time. These are the most conditioned athletes in the world and they get hurt at a much higher percentage than high school players. I have no data to prove this but you rarely hear of a highschool team with a bunch of injuries and you hear about it all the time in college/pros.

I think the reason why there are so many injuries at this level (and now compared to 30 years ago) is that the players are so much bigger, faster and stronger that they are putting strain on their bodies that high school athletes or athletes in the 70’s never do/did.

The question is whether TCU gets hurt more than other teams and I don’t think that is correct. I listen to college sports radio on SiriusXM and they interview college coaches all the time. It is almost comical listening to them talk about injuries and how they have mounted up.

Just my 2 cents.

Raw Frog

We should definitely be checking with other programs to see what their injuries are and what they are doing on a day to day basis. See who has the least injuries and see what they are doing compared to us. Make changes to coincide with the program with the least amount of injuries...My .02.

Limp Lizard

There are critical injuries for everyone. But at TCU is seems laughable. Most of the time the star QB finishes the season, maybe missing a game or two. We lost over 2 dozen players for the season. I just don't buy "everybody gets as many injuries as we do"!

Francis Xav

A concussion and broken wrist have nothing at all to do with trainers. A knee is always very sensitive and cannot necessarily be blamed on anyone.

Paint It Purple

You really want to blame our trainers and strength and conditioning people for Alok’s broken hand and McWilliam’s concussion? Good grief.
I wasn’t blaming anyone. I was asking a legitimate question about the quality of the program in general. Good grief indeed.

If you are saying that only coaches, AD’s and players are accountable for their performance, then so be it.

notyalc

Would be interesting to rank teams in terms of injuries. Measure it over several seasons and see who is having the greatest success. Then duplicate that.

However there is no replacing quality depth.

Eight

holy scheiss.........a broken hand, a concussion, and a degenerative knee from high school yields some of these type of thoughts