• The KillerFrogs

LA Times: Texas Christian hands Andy Enfield his worst loss in six years at USC

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
LA Times: Texas Christian hands Andy Enfield his worst loss in six years at USC

By J. BRADY MCCOLLOUGH

To someone who does not understand USC basketball’s place in the Los Angeles sports hierarchy, Andy Enfield’s description of Staples Center as a venue for his team this week might have come as a surprise.

“It’s a neutral court,” Enfield said.

The Trojans play their home games at Galen Center, less than a two-mile trek down Figueroa Street. And they do represent the University of Southern California, after all. But Enfield seemed resigned to a USC fan turnout so small that it would not provide the Trojans a home-court advantage against Texas Christian, which hopped a commercial plane Thursday and flew 1,400 miles for what it assumed would be something at least resembling a road game.

Of course, Enfield was right. Los Angeles’ pro basketball arena had nothing to offer the Trojans in the way of assistance Friday night. USC looked like it had other plans too, neglecting to show up on the near-empty big stage while TCU spent 40 minutes of court time putting on a clinic in unselfish basketball during a 96-61 annihilation of the Trojans.

“I did not see this coming,” Enfield said.

Read more at https://www.latimes.com/sports/usc/la-sp-usc-texas-christian-20181207-story.html

Atomic Frawg

Still love how the LA Times always calls us Texas Christian. Every know and then people asks me what TCU stands for, and some seem shocked that it's Texas Christian University. I wish television announcers would call us by our proper name occasionally.

Last edited:

Froginbedford

Still love how the LA Times always calls us Texas Christian. Every know and then people asks me what TCU stands for, and some seem shocked that it's Texas Christian University. I wish television announcers would call us by our proper occasionally.

Several yeas ago, the TCU football media guide pointedly stated that the athletic program preferred media to use just "TCU" in identifying the teams....And I remember the 2010 Game Day at Utah when a sign read "2 things I hate: Texans and Christians"....

Zubaz

Several yeas ago, the TCU football media guide pointedly stated that the athletic program preferred media to use just "TCU" in identifying the teams....And I remember the 2010 Game Day at Utah when a sign read "2 things I hate: Texans and Christians"....
It's been like that for about 20 years, right?

4 Oaks Frog

What are we so afraid of being called Texas Christian University? I think that is the name of our University, correct?...at least that is what my sheepskin says. Just sayin...
GO FROGS!
BEAT cal (non-Christian)
Spit Blood ~~<~<and [Baylor asshoe]!!

Zubaz

What are we so afraid of being called Texas Christian University? I think that is the name of our University, correct?...at least that is what my sheepskin says. Just sayin...
GO FROGS!
BEAT cal (non-Christian)
No more than UCLA is "afraid" of being called California Los Angeles, or Cal is "afraid" of being called Berkley. It's just a branding thing.

4 Oaks Frog

No more than UCLA is "afraid" of being called California Los Angeles, or Cal is "afraid" of being called Berkley. It's just a branding thing.
No, Todd D...I think it has more to do with the Christian thing. There is a certain stigma with being a Christian school. I know branding, and it is important. But, I think many are unduly self conscious about being identified with a Christian school. Do you see my point?
GO FROGS!
BEAT low attendance cal!

Eight

No, Todd D...I think it has more to do with the Christian thing. There is a certain stigma with being a Christian school. I know branding, and it is important. But, I think many are unduly self conscious about being identified with a Christian school. Do you see my point?
GO FROGS!
BEAT low attendance cal!

christian is in the name, but we are marginally a christian school and it has been that way for decades. when i attended tcu i had to take 1 3-hour class through brite and it was the study of eastern religions.

our youngest is in the masters program at acu and this was the first year she was not taking a bible class and required to attend chapel.

there is what you call yourself and how you act. pretty sure from my reading in the bible the second one is far more important than the first.

CryptoMiner

Happened about when we moved to the B12. That's about when they took the Frog off the logo for most sports.

No before that in the MWC and WAC days they used the phrase "Just TCU please" in their media guides, etc.

Its a branding issue for the athletic department and the school does not officially just want to be called "TCU" only.

Zubaz

I see your point, I just don't think that's the case. We still have plenty of "Texas Christian" lettering and merchandise that we sell, as you mention our diplomas and class rings all say Texas Christian University. We're just talking about athletics. We've been "just TCU" for athletics since at least 2000. It's always ruffled some feathers of those that feel we are trying to distance ourselves from our Christian heritage and it comes up around here every year or so.

Happened about when we moved to the B12.
Hm, a quick google turns up this 2005 article about us joining the MWC that includes the classic "just TCU please" line. I think it goes back further than the Big 12, as I said I've heard it since I showed up on campus in 2000.

Dogfrog

GO FROGS!
BEAT low attendance cal!

Wrong, it’s all branding. Like Minnesota mining and manufacturing is 3M. Makes for a more identifiable three letter brand that helps gear sales, ticket sales, and TV viewership. Same as USC is almost never referred to as University of Southern California.

Latest posts