• The KillerFrogs

Ohio St game thoughts on rewatch

MTfrog5

Oh, I think we did some things to them that they weren't used to seeing and had them on their heels for a good while, for sure. But I think as the game wore on, their advantages across both lines started to show more and more. To me it had the feel of a game that the longer it went on, the worse it was going to get for us, we kind of ran out of bullets in the second half IMO.
Agree to a point but our LB were so bad it’s hard to tell. Yards after contact would be an interesting stat to see and I don’t think it had anything to do with what Ohio State was doing. I think their OL will probably be the best we face this year and what they did a good job of was not letting our DL make many tackles. Our DL did a decent job though holding their ground allowing opportunities for our LB to make plays. Our defense is not built for our three safeties to be the top three tacklers.

jake102

Agree to a point but our LB were so bad it’s hard to tell. Yards after contact would be an interesting stat to see and I don’t think it had anything to do with what Ohio State was doing. I think their OL will probably be the best we face this year and what they did a good job of was not letting our DL make many tackles. Our DL did a decent job though holding their ground allowing opportunities for our LB to make plays. Our defense is not built for our three safeties to be the top three tacklers.

Spot on. OU's OL will be comparable but that's about it. LBs have to do better

CountryFrog

I think OSU is better in the trenches. I think TCU is better overall at the skill positions.

I don't think either team has a massive advantage in either area. Generally the team who is better on the lines will be the better team over a period of time so I'd say slight advantage to OSU being the better team. I don't think it's by much though.

At the end OSU imposed their will on our defense we were tired and couldn’t stop them. We barely played base defense had to run blitz all night. When their guards blocked our linebackers we had no chance.

Our offense had some big runs, but did not consistently run on OSU. I think first team against their first team we were pretty even. Their subs outplayed ours by a lot.

cdsfrog

I think OSU is better in the trenches. I think TCU is better overall at the skill positions.

I don't think either team has a massive advantage in either area. Generally the team who is better on the lines will be the better team over a period of time so I'd say slight advantage to OSU being the better team. I don't think it's by much though.

Including QB?

Zubaz

Oh, I think we did some things to them that they weren't used to seeing and had them on their heels for a good while, for sure. But I think as the game wore on, their advantages across both lines started to show more and more. To me it had the feel of a game that the longer it went on, the worse it was going to get for us, we kind of ran out of bullets in the second half IMO.
That's true, but if we had executed then that wouldn't have mattered. Towards the end of the game, especially the fourth quarter, they could take the air out of the ball, give the ball to their RB, and bleed the clock.

You're right that we looked to be running out of gas and weren't getting the same pressure / push that we were in the first half. However, if we were up 28 or 35 to 17 (entirely possible if we don't gift them 14 points), they wouldn't have mattered because they would have had to be throwing more anyway. I think our gameplan was to make sure that our lead was big enough that they wouldn't be in a position to push us around at the end and we would be able to weather that storm.

Frog DJ

I'm certainly not breaking new ground here, and I said it in an earlier thread, but mistakes cost TCU a shot at winning this game.

In the final analysis, Ohio State did not make the big mistakes, and they capitalized on TCU's miscues, so they deserved to win.

TCU will be a better team for the remainder of the season for having played Ohio State, so it's just time to take the lumps and move on.

Go Frogs!

Eight

the biggest surprise i had coming out of the game was the play of the offensive line. they played better than i thought they would against a very well coached, well deep, and very athletic front.

frogs won't see another group like that unless they get into the play-offs.

myers has really blossomed under ct and i think many have forgotten how highly regarded austin was coming out of manvel. his offer list was as good as any o-lineman i can recall. niang is a massive human being and an anchor at right tackle.

the fact myers started at guard indicates that ct is not satisfied what he is getting out of the two seniors at that position. it will be interesting if we see austin there again. i think the combo of austin and lucas side by side on the right side could be devastating in the run game.

ben did play well at de and i think too much emphasis is placed solely on sacks. he was consistently in their backfield and creating issues. the other de position and the depth at the position is really hurting this defense.

collier need to get into game shape quickly, epley is giving what he can but he is limited and either bowen or mathis need to step up quickly. frogs right not are playing with 1de and a mix at the others. really mis isaiah chambers who transferred to uh.

gary mentioned the linebacker situation and how one linebacker wouldn't line up properly. in this defense you damn well better get where your are supposed to be prior to the snap and this has been a continued problem. biggest frustration is evans is not a youngster and dunham is a 5th year senior. you just can not have these type of mistakes from your older players.

this gets resolved to a degree if and when ty moves back to lb full time, but for that to happen a group of players at de need to step things up.

tackling has been an issue since 2015 and it continues. seems there is a bad mix of grabbers and guys who go for kill shorts and don't wrap up

small and ridwan do have issues in coverage and my concern against ou is once again they will isolate and attack them. don't think we see two changes in the secondary, but it is possible simmons gets more time.

i don't know what happened with he and collier just before fall camp broke, but whatever it was hurt this defense last saturday

Sebastian S

Turnovers were key.

We dug ourselves a hole we eventually could not get out of. We ended up digging in deeper.

After TCU led 21-13 (10:43 3Q):

TCU
1. PUNT
2. INT- OSU TD
3. PUNT Blocked - Short field OSU TD

4. TD
5. PUNT
6. INT

OSU
1. PUNT
2. TD - failed 2 pt
3. INT TD
4. TD from a short field due to punt being blocked
5. TD
6. PUNT
7. End

CountryFrog

Including QB?
If you break out QB by itself them I think that Haskins is slightly ahead of Robinson right now. He's a better pocket passer but not as athletic.

Because I think that QB is only a slight advantage to OSU, I give the slight edge to TCU in overall skill players. It's close either way though I think.

Wexahu

If you break out QB by itself them I think that Haskins is slightly ahead of Robinson right now. He's a better pocket passer but not as athletic.

Because I think that QB is only a slight advantage to OSU, I give the slight edge to TCU in overall skill players. It's close either way though I think.

I think Haskins is probably better than SR at this point. The RBs for both teams are really, really good, hard to give an advantage to either. I think our WR group as a whole showed better Sat night, would have to give us a slight edge there. Like you said, not much of an advantage either way.

Where they have the edge is just quality and # of bodies on both lines. They lost maybe the best D-lineman in college football and didn't really miss a beat from what I saw. Changed their scheme somewhat, but they were almost more effective without Bosa in there. We just can't do that quite yet.

froggolf65

Haskins is slightly better? The only time their drives stalled is when 11 dropped passes right to him. He had no turnovers on the night and go rid of the ball when pressured. Our qb made a few plays but also gave the other team 14 points.

SnoSki

Turnovers were key.

We dug ourselves a hole we eventually could not get out of. We ended up digging in deeper.

After TCU led 21-13 (10:43 3Q):

TCU
1. PUNT
2. INT- OSU TD
3. PUNT Blocked - Short field OSU TD

4. TD
5. PUNT
6. INT

OSU
1. PUNT
2. TD - failed 2 pt
3. INT TD
4. TD from a short field due to punt being blocked
5. TD
6. PUNT
7. End

This post reminds me that we were winning 21-13 at one point and I thought we just needed one more TD to blow it open. Now I’m sad.

Bob Sugar

giphy.gif

MTfrog5

This post reminds me that we were winning 21-13 at one point and I thought we just needed one more TD to blow it open. Now I’m sad.
Even when we were up 21-19 I felt really comfortable. Score a TD and we go up two scores. That comfort didn’t last long.

LSU Game Attendee

I think our WR group as a whole showed better Sat night, would have to give us a slight edge there.

I think the frog WRs supported SR way better than the OSU WRs helped Haskins. OSU #11 had a circus catch to open the game, but about 5 terrible drops. Turpin got ahead of himself with the one bad drop, but Reagor pulled down several closely-contested balls (also great throws). The one-armed catch was Doctson-esque. The adjustment that Hights made to work around two DBs and pull in that last TD was equally Doctson-esque. The combo of speed and nose for the ball in this group bodes really well for the rest of the season.

edit: Also need more Artayvious, STAT!

Last edited: