• The KillerFrogs

Is CFP really out of the question if we beat OU?

netty2424

Which team that isn’t in the Top 25 should be?
Wex there are 10 teams I would put in front of Fresno state, despite W/L. WVU, Michigan, Louisville, Iowa, I would even take Texas over Fresno State......the list goes on.

Fresno St has only played 2 top 25 teams and got throttled both times.

Lost to Alabama 41-10
Lost to Washington 48-10

Wex, you've dug yourself in so far you can't even admit any wrongdoing by this committee. It's perplexing.

EDIT and you failed to address the Danny Kannel tweet calling the system a sham.

NewFrogFan

Good Question. ..why are you arguing with me?...I just think if all things were equal the committee would jump at a chance to have both Bama and OSU in the playoff. It just so happens they have positioned both to make that happen. A TCU upset coupled with an OSU win gets them what they want...It would have been more ballsy on their part to move OU to 2 and us to 8..Now we could win by 3 scores and still not really get considered..

It's also why I hope Wisconsin beats the crap out of OSU, we beat the crap out of OU and see what happens. You can bet SWHTF if TCU gets humped again and it's a team that lost their last game that was put in the playoff.

dawg

Why do we even have a regular season at this point? If they squeeze Bama in the final four, I'm not watching any of the semis or final*. scheiss that.

*Yes, I'm aware ESPN and the committee have zero scheisss to give about me or my viewing habits. I'm just saying.

NavyFrog

Not that I have any faith in the corrupt CFP committee, but it would be REALLY hard to justify putting in tOSU and not TCU.

Bama has the worst strength of schedule of any P5 team ranked in the Top 25. No impressive signature win. No Conference Championship.

If tOSU gets in, TCU sure as hell should as well.
The committee has already justified tOSU getting in ahead of us. tOSU at 8 and us at 11. Nothing else for them to do.

Wexahu

Wex there are 10 teams I would put in front of Fresno state, despite W/L. WVU, Michigan, Louisville, Iowa, I would even take Texas over Fresno State......the list goes on.

Fresno St has only played 2 top 25 teams and got throttled both times.

Lost to Alabama 41-10
Lost to Washington 48-10

Wex, you've dug yourself in so far you can't even admit any wrongdoing by this committee. It's perplexing.

EDIT and you failed to address the Danny Kannel tweet calling the system a sham.

I realize they got beat badly by Bama and Washington. They are also 7-1 in the the Mountain West and just beat Boise State so they are as of now the top team in the MWC. I don't think it's that outlandish for the top team in the MWC, a conference most consider to be the 2nd strongest G5 league, to be ranked #25. They are #25 in the AP poll too so it's not like the CFP committee is just pulling some crazy stunt. Besides, if they lose this week they'll no longer be ranked, and if they win, they'll deserve to be ranked. So what's the big deal?

West Virginia or Texas? Are you nuts? Texas?? And I've been hearing about how good and underappreciated WVU is all year. What in the heck have they done? Who have they beat?

And I have to say, if they had Michigan or Iowa at #25, everyone on here would be bitching about that too, saying they are trying to artificially inflate the Big 10 resumes.

As for Danny Kannel, I don't really care what he has to say, just like I don't care what any TV analyst has to say. I don't even watch those shows.

CountryFrog

It applies to all of them really. I've been pretty clear all along that since the advent of split divisions and unbalanced schedules, conference championships have lost their luster and should be discounted to a degree when determining national playoff teams. Limiting the 4-team field to conference champions would be a terrible idea because there isn't an equal playing field as to how they are decided. For instance, an SEC East team that draws, say, Alabama and Auburn as their crossover games is at a huge disadvantage to one that draws Ole Miss and Arkansas.
But that's very different than referring to us potentially winning the Big 12 under strange circumstances. Whether you yourself personally agree with the system in place makes no difference. The fact is that conference champions are now determined in all of these conferences with championship games. You talk as if us winning Saturday wouldn't actually mean much, but whoever wins Saturday gets the trophy and that's what we're all playing for.

How that relates to the playoff is certainly a matter of discussion. I personally think it should matter a lot but there are some valid points on the other side of the argument as well. At this point, I don't even care about the playoff. I just want to be Big 12 champions.

Last edited:

Wexahu

But that's very different than referring to us potentially winning the Big 12 under strange circumstances. Whether you yourself personally agree with the system in place is makes no difference. The fact is that conference champions ate now determined in all of these conferences with championship games. You talk as if us winning Saturday wouldn't actually mean much, but whoever wins Saturday gets the trophy and that's what we're all playing for.

How that relates to the playoff it's certainly a matter of discussion. I personally think it should matter a lot but there are some valid points on the other side of the argument as well. At this point, I don't even care about the playoff. I just want to be Big 12 champions.

I just want to beat Oklahoma and be ranked as high as possible, I don't care about the champions label. I'd take a final ranking of #5 and no conference championship over a #10 ranking and the right to call ourselves conference champions 100 times out of 100.

A championship would mean a lot more to me if, after the season was over, we had the best record of anyone else in the conference.

netty2424

I realize they got beat badly by Bama and Washington. They are also 7-1 in the the Mountain West and just beat Boise State so they are as of now the top team in the MWC. I don't think it's that outlandish for the top team in the MWC, a conference most consider to be the 2nd strongest G5 league, to be ranked #25. They are #25 in the AP poll too so it's not like the CFP committee is just pulling some crazy stunt. Besides, if they lose this week they'll no longer be ranked, and if they win, they'll deserve to be ranked. So what's the big deal?

West Virginia or Texas? Are you nuts? Texas?? And I've been hearing about how good and underappreciated WVU is all year. What in the heck have they done? Who have they beat?

And I have to say, if they had Michigan or Iowa at #25, everyone on here would be bitching about that too, saying they are trying to artificially inflate the Big 10 resumes.

As for Danny Kannel, I don't really care what he has to say, just like I don't care what any TV analyst has to say. I don't even watch those shows.
The MWC is simply garbage this year. Yes I get it, we came out of there once. But right now, that conference is bottom of the barrel.

This committee has said over and over (which is all lip service) that they're here to pick the best teams. So it darning matters if they're putting teams in the top 25 that don't belong. I don't care what week it is. Teams in the top 25 help support teams in to top 10, top 4. That's how it works.

And WVU and Texas, yes. I would bet large amounts of money both of those teams would handle Fresno St. The fact that they have more losses doesn't make them a worse team. You're comparing the level of competition between the MWC and Big12. And I don't think Michigan is great. I don't think Iowa is great, but Iowa throttled your alma matter tOSU. You think Fresno St is capabale of that? Hell no.

Since Fresno St is 7-1 in conference play, UCF is undefeated. Why are they only 14? It's because their conference isn't strong enough.

And as for your last point, "I don't even watch those shows." Your entire existence on this board has been defending the narratives of the committee, which is shared by the talking heads commissioned by ESPN. Yet you don't watch these shows.

Mean Purple

But that's very different than referring to us potentially winning the Big 12 under strange circumstances. Whether you yourself personally agree with the system in place makes no difference. The fact is that conference champions are now determined in all of these conferences with championship games. You talk as if us winning Saturday wouldn't actually mean much, but whoever wins Saturday gets the trophy and that's what we're all playing for.

How that relates to the playoff is certainly a matter of discussion. I personally think it should matter a lot but there are some valid points on the other side of the argument as well. At this point, I don't even care about the playoff. I just want to be Big 12 champions.
While the cfpspokesdbag did indicate last night that conference championships have are a big thing to them, that is a playoff issue.

As you indicate, the big issue for us is Saturday. That is the only issue for us right now. Win a conference championship. Would be awesome to see the seniors hoist up that trophy. We just need to be sure to stay loud and give them as much support as we can.

Zubaz

I just want to beat Oklahoma and be ranked as high as possible, I don't care about the champions label. I'd take a final ranking of #5 and no conference championship over a #10 ranking and the right to call ourselves conference champions 100 times out of 100.

A championship would mean a lot more to me if, after the season was over, we had the best record of anyone else in the conference.
I know what you're saying, but winning a conference title still means something. Perhaps not as much as it used to before the Bowl Alliance / Coalition / BCS / CFP, but it still means something to have that hardware.

And realistically, that's what we are playing for. I think anyone being honest recognizes that 11-1 without a conference title is preferable to 11-2 with a conference title in terms of getting to the CFP. That's fine. But I'll still gladly take an inscription on Amon Carter Stadium that says in 2017 we were the best team in the Big 12.

Zubaz

Teams in the top 25 help support teams in to top 10, top 4. That's how it works.

And WVU and Texas, yes. I would bet large amounts of money both of those teams would handle Fresno St. The fact that they have more losses doesn't make them a worse team. You're comparing the level of competition between the MWC and Big12. And I don't think Michigan is great. I don't think Iowa is great, but Iowa throttled your alma matter tOSU. You think Fresno St is capabale of that? Hell no.
I mean, Fresno is ranked 25th in the AP and 26th in the Coach's poll. Why is this so egregious?

As for the second paragraph....man I get what you're saying, but that sounds an awful lot like what we heard every single week in the MWC.

Incidentally, according to Colley, Fresno State is ranked 35th, which is better than WVU (51st). In fact, just about every ranking has Fresno well above WVU.

Wexahu

The MWC is simply garbage this year. Yes I get it, we came out of there once. But right now, that conference is bottom of the barrel.

This committee has said over and over (which is all lip service) that they're here to pick the best teams. So it darning matters if they're putting teams in the top 25 that don't belong. I don't care what week it is. Teams in the top 25 help support teams in to top 10, top 4. That's how it works.

Since Fresno St is 7-1 in conference play, UCF is undefeated. Why are they only 14? It's because their conference isn't strong enough.

And as for your last point, "I don't even watch those shows." Your entire existence on this board has been defending the narratives of the committee, which is shared by the talking heads commissioned by ESPN. Yet you don't watch these shows.

I don't think WVU or Texas would handle much of anyone that is any good. Have you seen them play lately? But to your point, if we're getting into who would beat who, I bet Alabama would still be a favorite over almost any team they play on a neutral field, so should they be ranked #1? Ohio State is a pretty strong favorite against Wisconsin. Because of that, should they be ranked higher going into this game? Because an awful lot of people think they're going to handle Wisky.

In some ways (like in the Fresno State case) it seems like how good the teams are who would win a game vs another opponent should be the determinant of where they are ranked, and then in other cases it seems like the record should take precedent. Which is it? If we're going by who would be favored in HTH matchups among the teams, I think the Top 4 come from the group of Alabama, Clemson, Auburn, Ohio State and Oklahoma. And that probably wouldn't even change much if there is an upset or two this weekend. You ok with that?

I honestly don't watch the shows. I think I've watched about 15 minutes of a CFP selection show back in the first couple weeks, late October probably. It's a bunch of meaningless chatter, I have no idea why people get so worked up about it.

Wexahu

I know what you're saying, but winning a conference title still means something. Perhaps not as much as it used to before the Bowl Alliance / Coalition / BCS / CFP, but it still means something to have that hardware.

And realistically, that's what we are playing for. I think anyone being honest recognizes that 11-1 without a conference title is preferable to 11-2 with a conference title in terms of getting to the CFP. That's fine. But I'll still gladly take an inscription on Amon Carter Stadium that says in 2017 we were the best team in the Big 12.

I think what we're playing for is a NY6 Bowl and as high a ranking as possible. If this were in the cards, would you rather a) play in a NY6 Bowl and be ranked #6 in the country or b) Play in the Alamo Bowl, be ranked #12 and have a shiny trophy that said Big 12 Champions?

I'd take Option A every time.

Zubaz

I think what we're playing for is a NY6 Bowl and as high a ranking as possible. If this were in the cards, would you rather a) play in a NY6 Bowl and be ranked #6 in the country or b) Play in the Alamo Bowl, be ranked #12 and have a shiny trophy that said Big 12 Champions?

I'd take Option A every time.
These aren't our options. The Big 12 Champion by rule can't play in the Alamo Bowl, they have an auto-bid to the NY6. Further, the way to get the highest ranking possible, particularly in the Big 12 where the Top 2 teams play each other, is to be the Big 12 champion. These aren't mutually exclusive, certainly not this year.

CountryFrog

Makes sense. But since we have an opportunity at a championship then we might as well win it I think. I agree that high rankings and great bowl games are the priority, but winning a conference generally helps with both of those things. I still value conference championships so I want that too, and I know the players on the team would love to hold up that trophy at 4:00 on Saturday.

MAcFroggy

Fresno State being ranked is absolutely insane. Every team ranked in the CFP top 25 is in the top 29 of the Sagarin ratings except Fresno State. They are ranked 56th.

Edit: Just saw this was already posted.

netty2424

I mean, Fresno is ranked 25th in the AP and 26th in the Coach's poll. Why is this so egregious?

As for the second paragraph....man I get what you're saying, but that sounds an awful lot like what we heard every single week in the MWC.

Incidentally, according to Colley, Fresno State is ranked 35th, which is better than WVU (51st). In fact, just about every ranking has Fresno well above WVU.
Due to the number of losses I'd assume. Who would you bet on to win in a bowl game? WVU/Texas vs Fresno St.

Zubaz

Due to the number of losses I'd assume. Who would you bet on to win in a bowl game? WVU/Texas vs Fresno St.
I know a lot of people that said the same thing about TCU, BYU, and Utah during our MWC years. That 6-6 Texas Tech was better than 10-2 or 9-3 MWC team blah blah. It might be true, it might not be, but now that we're on the other side of the coin I don't think we should forget where we came from.