• The KillerFrogs

Maybe Cumbie isn't the guy for offensive coordinator

Salfrog

Tier 1
And just where did you get that tidbit ?

From someone very close to the situation. I won't say who, because I don't want to get that person in any trouble. All I know is that it explained a lot about his troubles here & at A&M. Other teams have also picked up on it as you can probably see.

LeagueCityFrog

I'm a numbers guy and TCU is trying to get to rarified air in this whole college football space which is something I strongly encourage for the continued betterment of the entire university. That being said, OU and UT are blue bloods in the space, especially OU with all their national championships they've racked up while TCU was out in the desert for 30+ years. OU has had a good head start on us and gets over 60 percent of the sports wealth from the state with no NFL and only one other power 5 program in the state. Well, TCU is back now from the desert and closing in. If you have a good coach and an attractive campus, which we do, the name of the game is recruiting. Big Steaming Pile's article on Sunday said we looked small compared to OU this past weekend while he was at the game and slow. I have a hard time believing we were slow. But OU always has and will always have the body types every year and it's because of their recruiting. TCU has the second best record in the Big XII over the last five years and we are closing the recruiting gap with these guys. I really think TCU is a solid 2018 and 2019 recruiting class away with meeting the Sooners in this critical team building space. Here is the trend.

2014-2018 recruiting class ranks per 247sports.com

OU: #14, #15, #19, #8, #8
TCU: #43, #39, #21, #28, #20
Gary is 1-5 vs OU in that span.

Where we've really missed out is on the taller corner backs, Jucos of all types that were busts, and offensive lineman. Go back and look at all the recruits that never made it to campus or never saw the field. Kind of shocking. I think if we don't miss on the taller, physical corners, the Jucos of all varieties, and putting an emphasis on getting the best offensive lineman we will meet or beat OU in Big XII record over the next 5 years. OU is awesome and a great program to try and catch.

Sebastian S

Was it against Tech in 2016 where they benched Kenny Hill in the middle of the game? Because he was not playing well?

2016 was a blur but I vaguely remember something like that happening during the season.

MinFrog

I don't want to start another thread about it, but man there is a considerable about of smoke about GP to TAMU. no inside info, but there seems to be quite a few people talking about it that may be in the know. Maybe they all have the same source, but maybe Cumbie is about to be our HC.

just speculation at this point, but keep an eye on it.

West Coast Johnny

IMO the coaches lost confidence in hill and the WRs and wont allow them to stretch the field the way we used to. The offense is not good without a quarterback and receivers that can threaten down field. Who's our downfield threat at wideout? No one. We used to have Boykin, Doctson & Listenbee. Diarse is as close to down the field threat as we have an he should be a possession receiver.

West Coast Johnny

IMO the coaches lost confidence in hill and the WRs and wont allow them to stretch the field the way we used to. The offense is not good without a quarterback and receivers that can threaten down field. Who's our downfield threat at wideout? No one. We used to have Boykin, Doctson & Listenbee. Diarse is as close to down the field threat as we have an he should be a possession receiver.

Sebastian S

Taj is the closest thing to being our downfield guy and we still really don't know why he is not given any play time.

We have been wondering about that since day 1.

Wexahu

I think Reagor, Austin, Williams and Graham all have the ability to be down field threats. For whatever reason, they really aren't in the game plan much. I've been scratching my head over this WR thing for awhile, it just makes no sense to me how we use them. Just another example, has Ty Slanina regressed as a player so much in his time at TCU that he can barely get on the field now? Wouldn't a big, strong, kid that moves like him that has relatively sure hands be an asset lining up in the slot?

It just makes you wonder what the hell goes on in practice.

Sebastian S

Patterson better be telling Cumbie to open up that playbook and to use all his weapons as much as possible.

Turpin is the obvious star but you can do so many things even if Turpin doesn't touch the ball.

flyfishingfrog

I don't want to start another thread about it, but man there is a considerable about of smoke about GP to TAMU. no inside info, but there seems to be quite a few people talking about it that may be in the know. Maybe they all have the same source, but maybe Cumbie is about to be our HC.

I am sure GMFP's dream is to be Satan's [ hundin] for the remaining years of his career....

You think OU has more talent than we do - Alabama has more talent then the rest of the SEC combined and their 3 deep could our starsies Aggy every day of the week.

Plus Saban can actually develop talent - not just recruit it aka Sumlin - so while I think GP would make them a better program than now, I am not sure any coach in America could flip the switch on Saban in less than 5-6 years, which is pushing pretty close to the end of GP's window.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Lets hope so.

Cumbie is a nice guy and I know that he was a heavy contributor to Meecham's game plan and in-game adjustments but I am not sure he is as strategic as Meecham was. Hope I am wrong

I may be totally wrong, but wasn’t it GP that put the brakes on the offense to slow things down for the D so they wouldn’t be on the field for over 100 plays a game?

W

Way of the Frog

I apologize to the board ahead of time for asking this, but aside from media abd bloggers looking to generate traffic who are these "quite a few people"?

Please, please tell me they are the same media idiots who mention Cowher and Gruden with each job.

Sebastian S

I may be totally wrong, but wasn’t it GP that put the brakes on the offense to slow things down for the D so they wouldn’t be on the field for over 100 plays a game?
Did you see how quick we scored the first touchdown and the field goal?

It was fast paced again.

I am sure they were like, we looked like this(slow) all season, let's change it to surprise them!

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Did you see how quick we scored the first touchdown and the field goal?

It was fast paced again.

I am sure they were like, we looked like this(slow) all season, let's change it to surprise them!

They go fast several times a game. As I recall GP just didn’t want the whole offense based on going fast every down.