• The KillerFrogs

Purely Hypothetical: How many bad seasons before CGP...

I think this question is, unfortunately, all too relevant.

There are crybabies on this board who were predicting a 7-5 season just this year after our loss to SMU. Showed no faith AT ALL in GP, as if the previous decade of TCU football had not even happened. IF we actually did go 7-5, these same crybabies will multiply, always questioning GP, as if they knew a fraction of what he knows about football.

The same crybabies who complained about his black shirt, about the short side option, about anything because the team, gasp, wasn't perfect in every aspect of the game.

The same crybabies who had the gall to complain about a 26-3 victory, on the road, against a conference opponent in the first game of the season.

No, there will always be a segment of the fanbase out there who are clueless imbeciles, who demand perfection, even though they are far from that.

NativeFrog

Perhaps a whole bunch of them. Fans should prepare themselves for that possibility. Still, I'd much rather go 8-4 with wins over Tech and Texas and play in the Holiday Bowl than go 10-2 with wins over a bunch of nobodies and a birth in the Poinsettia Bowl.

I'd take 8-4 seasons with wins over Baylor, Texas and Tech. However, an 8-4 season with losses to one, two or all three of those teams would be disappointing.

Limp Lizard

Based on this year's BCS rankings, swayed by a Huge bias from the Massey and Sagarin computers, 9-3 puts you in the top-15. Two losses put you in the top 10, one loss top 5, close to playing for the MNC. And, of course 5 losses and you are still in the top-25.
B12 end up lower in the human polls, though. Losses mean a lot more in the human polls. Still Baylor with 4 losses ended up around 15-16.
Who knows who the computers will mysteriously overrate next year? Hope it is the B12 again.

Big losses also sour the support quickly. Since 2004, TCU has had only twp blowout losses: Texas in the "off-year" of 2007, OU in 2008. Interesting to see how we handle all the offensive firepower in the B12.

But like Frognosticator said, three or four losses and people will be crying for GP's head, the the 4-2-5 has been "exposed"....etc. etc. Same old crap every year.

Dogfrog

I think TCU fan expectations should match GP expectations - National Championship. I don't think GP wants expectations to wane, or we run the risk of "settling" into being satisfied just being in the Big 12 like Baylor, and like we did for 30+ years in the SWC.

BeauFrog

I'd like to see a life size bronze of GP hitching his pants up outside The Carter after a couple of NC and plethora of other championships. That is all. End thread.

Horned Toad

My expectations in the 80's were the same as they are now. The difference is every year I kept hoping we'd turn the corner in the 80's and for a moment with Wacker, I thought we did. Even then if you think about it we were just not that good and we really were bad in most of the 70's and 90's too. We were so desperate to be relevant then. The difference now is that we are relevant and we are relevant because of the vision of several good men and women to put up some money, hire a great coach, and get the heck out of the way when they needed to. I think GP has earned a lot of leeway and with reasonable seasons he will be here until he doesn't want to be.

steelfrog

Tier 1

There are crybabies on this board who were predicting a 7-5 season just this year after our loss to SMU. Showed no faith AT ALL in GP, as if the previous decade of TCU football had not even happened. IF we actually did go 7-5, these same crybabies will multiply, always questioning GP, as if they knew a fraction of what he knows about football.

The same crybabies who complained about his black shirt, about the short side option, about anything because the team, gasp, wasn't perfect in every aspect of the game.

The same crybabies who had the gall to complain about a 26-3 victory, on the road, against a conference opponent in the first game of the season.

No, there will always be a segment of the fanbase out there who are clueless imbeciles, who demand perfection, even though they are far from that.
Totally irrelevant. You are soo, sooooooo Fricking Stupid it is beyond comprehension. My respoct for Jugband--what there was of it--has vanished like a sloppy piss in the wind.

Relevant to what, Stupid? We know and Believe that HCGP is an awesome coach. What is goign to change about it becuase of a conference change? He built this program. He had us within a short piss of NC already. He will again but if he doesn't my Belief in what he is doing and has done is not diminished at all. The job is his until he no longer wants it and we should all be damn thankful he's still here.

Not only that, since you like to throw around legal terms you don't know jack squat about, the average Jake Leg "fan" in Steel's view has no "standing" to complain about LRBWHCGMFP because they are not sufficiently "invested." What does Steel mean by this? Simply this--you went to school there decades ago, you don't even live within a thousand miles of the university, and you have NO AUTHORITY, legal or moral or otherwise, to IN ANY WAY question the way a man doies his job, a man whose entire life is TCU in a way that yours never was and never will be. You got a piece of paper from TCU decades ago. You know what? So what?

You have POed Steel worse than ever with this Stupid thread, like a little inconsequential barking puppy that needs to have its head stomped into the concrete.

Totally irrelevant. You are soo, sooooooo Fricking Stupid it is beyond comprehension. My respoct for Jugband--what there was of it--has vanished like a sloppy piss in the wind.

Relevant to what, Stupid? We know and Believe that HCGP is an awesome coach. What is goign to change about it becuase of a conference change? He built this program. He had us within a short piss of NC already. He will again but if he doesn't my Belief in what he is doing and has done is not diminished at all. The job is his until he no longer wants it and we should all be damn thankful he's still here.

Not only that, since you like to throw around legal terms you don't know jack squat about, the average Jake Leg "fan" in Steel's view has no "standing" to complain about LRBWHCGMFP because they are not sufficiently "invested." What does Steel mean by this? Simply this--you went to school there decades ago, you don't even live within a thousand miles of the university, and you have NO AUTHORITY, legal or moral or otherwise, to IN ANY WAY question the way a man doies his job, a man whose entire life is TCU in a way that yours never was and never will be. You got a piece of paper from TCU decades ago. You know what? So what?

You have POed Steel worse than ever with this Stupid thread, like a little inconsequential barking puppy that needs to have its head stomped into the concrete.

Oh my, the idiot got a break from the deep fryer again and decided to vomit out a reply that neither makes sense or has any point. I've seen more coherent responses from bums asking for change on the street.

Hey Steel, next time just spank off to that poster of Rothlesburger instead of embarrassing yourself by opening your mouth. It will save everyone time and brain cells.

Oh, and I've got season tickets, pal. Do you? No.

THAT'S RIGHT FOLKS, STEELFROG DOESN'T EVEN FEEL THE NEED TO PURCHASE SEASON TICKETS TO TCU FOOTBALL GAMES. YEAH, HE ADMITTED IT. SOME FAN.

r7commish

Darrell Dickey was the man in Denton at University of North Texas in the mid-2000s when they won 3 Sunbelt titles and went to 3 New Orlenans' Bowls. 2 years later the team slipped and he was canned. The question comes up with any good coach because not all coaches can have winning records forever. Dunham and Miller say a National Championship buys a head coach 10 years. I would say the Rose Bowl win bought GP at least 10 years. College football is cyclical, though, and teams can't stay on top forever, i.e. Florida post-Tebow, Alabama back before Fran, etc.

tcumaniac

Threads like this are dumb.

A lot of y'all keep saying to "brace yourself for 7-5 and 8-4 seasons," which is understandable. The big 12 is tough. But I think a lot of people are underestimating what Coach P has in progress here in fort worth Texas. It's just getting started. Trust me. TCU is on it's way to being a national powerhouse. Some of the best players in the nation are wanting to become horned frogs, and once blue chip players start buying in and realizing what an awesome place TCU is becoming, there will be a major domino effect.

We haven't seen anything yet. Gary Patterson is just getting started.

steelfrog

Tier 1
Oh my, the idiot got a break from the deep fryer again and decided to vomit out a reply that neither makes sense or has any point. I've seen more coherent responses from bums asking for change on the street.

Hey Steel, next time just spank off to that poster of Rothlesburger instead of embarrassing yourself by opening your mouth. It will save everyone time and brain cells.

Oh, and I've got season tickets, pal. Do you? No.

THAT'S RIGHT FOLKS, STEELFROG DOESN'T EVEN FEEL THE NEED TO PURCHASE SEASON TICKETS TO TCU FOOTBALL GAMES. YEAH, HE ADMITTED IT. SOME FAN.
When was the last time you were at a TCU game, Dum Dum?

Steel didn't think so.

Now, back to the argument--if you--ANY OF YOU--really feel like you are in a position to question the man who has invested more of hiumself in this university than anybody on here has or ever will, go right ahead, but you will look like as big of an idiot at JugStupid and FrogStupidCator.

IF he loses, is there anyone who doesn't think (a) LRBWHCGMFP will be more sick about it than anyone and (b) Gary wouldn't gnaw the leg off of Scott for a chance to right the ship?

We know he has the Talent--there's no question about that; we know he has the Motivation; there's no question about that. Hence, the inherent STUPIDITY of this post and any STUPID IDIOT who credits it by even posting on here. Dumb Arses.

When was the last time you were at a TCU game, Dum Dum?

Steel didn't think so.

Now, back to the argument--if you--ANY OF YOU--really feel like you are in a position to question the man who has invested more of hiumself in this university than anybody on here has or ever will, go right ahead, but you will look like as big of an idiot at JugStupid and FrogStupidCator.

IF he loses, is there anyone who doesn't think (a) LRBWHCGMFP will be more sick about it than anyone and (b) Gary wouldn't gnaw the leg off of Scott for a chance to right the ship?

We know he has the Talent--there's no question about that; we know he has the Motivation; there's no question about that. Hence, the inherent STUPIDITY of this post and any STUPID IDIOT who credits it by even posting on here. Dumb Arses.

Are you really that stupid? YOU ARE AGREEING WITH MY POINT, STUPID.

That is all.

Houston Frog

Going forward.....

If our team is as good as it was in 2011, expect a 7-5 to 8-4 type of season

If our team is as good as it was in 2010, expect an 11-1 to 12-0 type of season

If our team is ever as bad as it was in 2007 (which I don't think it should ever be again in this "era"), expect a 5-7 to 6-6 type of season