• The KillerFrogs

Zebra or others--Re: the Boyce 94 yard TD catch

Portland Frog

I posted this on another thread but wanted to be sure this was answered so I am creating its own thread (sorry GDU).

We all know the rule in college is different than the NFL: A receiver who is forced OB in college can be the first player to touch the ball assuming he immediately returns to the field of play.

However, I wonder why the LJ in college still throws the hat to the turf on the sideline as he did when Boyce ran out and came back in and caught the pass? If it is a legal play, why the tossing of the hat? Did anyone else notice this? The hat was clearly tossed near Boyce as he re-entered the field of play.

Frog DJ

This is pure speculation on my part, but perhaps the LJ reacted instinctively before making the calculation that Boyce had been forced out of bounds, as opposed to choosing to do so.

Clearly, I don't know what was going through his mind at that point, but I know I've made instantaneous judgements based on less than adequate information, and subsequently reversed my decision.

Just a thought...

Go Frogs!

MavAlbert

Because if he does not immediately re-enter the field of play then he becomes ineligible.

If Boyce would have continued running out of bounds for a few strides then it would have been illegal for him to catch the ball later.

Dogfrog

Don't know the answer to the OP's question, but have another question - and forgive me if this has been covered, but what was the call on the Geno Smith fumble with about 1:20 left in regulation? Did they rule him down? As the announcers pointed out, the fumble came well before the whistle blew.

4TCU

I think he was trying to shoo GP off the field. :biggrin:

He has to re-establish himself. For instance, if he was out of bounds and then jumped to catch a ball in bounds before he actually re-established himself, then it would be an illegal touch.

sous vide

I posted this on another thread but wanted to be sure this was answered so I am creating its own thread (sorry GDU).

We all know the rule in college is different than the NFL: A receiver who is forced OB in college can be the first player to touch the ball assuming he immediately returns to the field of play.

However, I wonder why the LJ in college still throws the hat to the turf on the sideline as he did when Boyce ran out and came back in and caught the pass? If it is a legal play, why the tossing of the hat? Did anyone else notice this? The hat was clearly tossed near Boyce as he re-entered the field of play.

Eligibility Lost by Going Out of Bounds

ARTICLE 4. No eligible offensive receiver who goes out of bounds during a down shall touch a legal forward pass in the field of play or end zones or while airborne until it has been touched by an opponent or official. (A.R. 7-3-4:I-III)
[Exception: This does not apply to an eligible offensive player who attempts to return inbounds immediately after going out of bounds due to contact by an opponent [url="http://rules.bafra.org/rules/rulebook/2011/7.html#LABEL7-3-4:IV"](A.R. 7-3-4:IV)
[/url] PENALTY - Loss of down at the previous spot [S16 and S9].

Approved Ruling [url="http://rules.bafra.org/rules/rulebook/2011/7.html#LABEL7-3-4"]7-3-4
  1. [/url] Eligible A88 goes out of bounds, but does not touch the pass, which is legally completed to A80. RULING: Legal play. [Cited by 7-3-4]
    [*]
    Eligible A88 voluntarily goes out of bounds, returns, and is the first player to touch the legal forward pass. This touching by A88 occurs in Team B's end zone. RULING: Illegal touching. Penalty -- loss of a down at the previous spot. [Cited by 7-3-4]
    [*]
    Eligible A88 voluntarily goes out of bounds during a down in which a legal forward pass is thrown. He returns to the field of play but does not touch the ball and is fouled by an opponent before the ball is touched by any player. RULING: Not pass interference - A88 is not eligible to catch a legal forward pass. Penalty -- 10 or 15 yards from the previous spot. [Cited by 7-3-4]
    [*]
    Wide receiver A88 is blocked out of bounds by B1 and then runs 20 yards before returning to the field of play. A88 catches a legal pass in Team B's end zone. RULING: Foul for illegal touching due to A88's failure to return inbounds immediately. Penalty -- Loss of down at the previous spot. [Cited by <a href="http://rules.bafra.org/rules/rulebook/2011/7.html#LABEL7-3-4">7-3-4]
  2. Eligible receiver A44 is running a pass pattern near the sideline. As a legal forward pass comes toward him, he accidentally steps on the sideline, leaps, muffs the pass into the air, returns to the ground inbounds, grabs the ball and lands on his knees inbounds with the ball firmly in his possession. RULING: Illegal touching. Penalty -- loss of down at the previous spot. A44 lost his eligibility by stepping out of bounds and did not regain his eligibility before touching the ball the second time.

He has to re-establish himself. For instance, if he was out of bounds and then jumped to catch a ball in bounds before he actually re-established himself, then it would be an illegal touch.
Really? Can you find that in the rule book? :rolleyes: You obviously assume that the announcers know the rules because they believe that to be the case. That makes you wrong again. I'm kidding with you, don't take it personally.

Play situation: Receiver is forced out of bounds with contact. QB throws the pass down the sideline. Receiver leaps from out of bounds, catches the pass and lands inbounds. Legal play.

Hat is thrown so that all involved know the receiver is out of bounds, whether on his own or forced.

back_in_black

Moderators
Don't know the answer to the OP's question, but have another question - and forgive me if this has been covered, but what was the call on the Geno Smith fumble with about 1:20 left in regulation? Did they rule him down? As the announcers pointed out, the fumble came well before the whistle blew.

I completely forgot about that.

westoverhillbilly

I was sitting way on the other end zone so I just saw the replay for the first time (other than on the jumbo at the stadium)... I hate to say this, but it looked like Boykin was over the line of scrimmage when he threw it? If it was a 94 yard touchdown and the line of scrimmage was the 6, Boykin looked like he threw it from the 7 or 8...

Also, our left tackle threw a hell of a block to keep Tre from being sacked in the end zone...

Portland Frog

I was sitting way on the other end zone so I just saw the replay for the first time (other than on the jumbo at the stadium)... I hate to say this, but it looked like Boykin was over the line of scrimmage when he threw it? If it was a 94 yard touchdown and the line of scrimmage was the 6, Boykin looked like he threw it from the 7 or 8...

Also, our left tackle threw a hell of a block to keep Tre from being sacked in the end zone...

I saw a replay where the imaginary LOS was painted on the field on that play and Boykin was a good 2 to 3 yards in front of it before he passed the ball. He clearly, from that replay on EPSN, wasn't beyond the LOS.

Deep Purple

I hate to say this, but it looked like Boykin was over the line of scrimmage when he threw it? If it was a 94 yard touchdown and the line of scrimmage was the 6, Boykin looked like he threw it from the 7 or 8...

Not even close...

boycepass.jpg

oldscribe

Because if he does not immediately re-enter the field of play then he becomes ineligible.

If Boyce would have continued running out of bounds for a few strides then it would have been illegal for him to catch the ball later.

I think this is the correct answer...unless I'm out of bounds.