• The KillerFrogs

Zach Evans

Zubaz

Tomlinson was preseason 1st team All conference, Van Zandt has started plenty of games and played a ton. Same with Winters. They've played all year.

What do mean basically everyone is new except the DL? Over 40% of the back 7 aren't new at all. Not to mention several other upperclassmen who have played a decent amount of football (Harris, Bradford, Caesar....and throw Carter in there too although it wasn't for us). Probably even forgetting some.

This is FAR from an inexperienced defense, relatively speaking.
Must have been a brain fart, not sure what I was thinking but you're right about Hodges-Tomlinson and Van Zandt. I must have been thinking Safeties specifically, losing Moehrig and Washington.

Zubaz

You can point to other seasons where we've had this problem over here or that problem over here.

If you know of a 4 year stretch where we've had this many scheissing problems then please do share.
I don't think anyone can deny this is the longest stretch we've had being down (though to be fair, 2020 was weird and we all know it). Just saying it's not like previous down-ish stretches across multiple seasons before.

jake102

I don't think anyone can deny this is the longest stretch we've had being down (though to be fair, 2020 was weird and we all know it). Just saying it's not like previous down-ish stretches across multiple seasons before.

2020 was our best season (by far) in this four year run. So yeah, 2020 was probably flukey in a good way

Eight

We've had bad defenses before. I was a senior for the 2004 season. That defense was beyond putrid too and against much worse teams. As bad as this team is, they wouldn't lose to most of the teams the 2004 team got smoked by. 2015 defense was absolutely decimated by injuries and regularly torched by bad teams, relying on absolute magic by Boykin/Doctson, and in one case Green, multiple times.

And I don't disagree, this defense is among the worst we've ever seen in the Patterson era, particularly the run defense. This needs to get fixed. But we probably do need to recognize that we replaced 7 starters, a lot of which were NFL talent. Basically everyone but the DL is new, and add two or three starters from what's left being down due to injury. That's still on GP to build depth, have them prepared, all that good stuff. Not defending this performance at all, just not lining up with pitchforks outside JD's office quite yet either.

replaced seven starters? you and i do math differently because here is the starting line up from the la tech game in 2020

mathis rs-jr (26 games played / 22 starts)
coleman soph (9 games played / 9 starts)
cooper rs-senior (34 games played / 15 starts)
ellis rs-senior (15 games played / 4 starts)
wallow
winters jr (21 games playes/ 12 starts)
hodges-tomlinson jr (22 games played /11 starts)
caesar rs- jr (22 games played / 5 starts)
van zandt rs-sr ( 27 games played / 14 starts)
washington
moehrig

i listed the experience information on the 8 returning starters from that game. so that means one returning linebacker, two returning corners, and a returning safety on the back end.

mix in the game experience of harris at linebacker, ellison at end , and nook at safety this was not a matter of starting over on defense with inexperienced players. injuries at safety have hurt, injuries to bethley hurt at tackle, and they are missing the talent of the THREE defensive starters that left for the nfl.

the frogs did get better play in the second half against the run and hopefully the trend continues this week. the concern for next year is ellis, cooper bethley, and horton are gone after this year and there is scant productive depth at those positions.

28 defensive recruits were signed in the 2018 and 2019 classes and a good number of those are gone or not producing this year. other programs some how find ways to get defensive recruits onto the field as productive players before their fifth season in a program

Pharm Frog

replaced seven starters? you and i do math differently because here is the starting line up from the la tech game in 2020

wallow
washington
moehrig

i listed the experience information on the 8 returning starters from that game. so that means one returning linebacker, two returning corners, and a returning safety on the back end.

mix in the game experience of harris at linebacker, ellison at end , and nook at safety this was not a matter of starting over on defense with inexperienced players. injuries at safety have hurt, injuries to bethley hurt at tackle, and they are missing the talent of the THREE defensive starters that left for the nfl.

the frogs did get better play in the second half against the run and hopefully the trend continues this week. the concern for next year is ellis, cooper bethley, and horton are gone after this year and there is scant productive depth at those positions.

28 defensive recruits were signed in the 2018 and 2019 classes and a good number of those are gone or not producing this year. other programs some how find ways to get defensive recruits onto the field as productive players before their fifth season in a program

I only do math for baseball.

Zubaz

wallow
washington
moehrig

See previous post.