• The KillerFrogs

Wisconsin coach let go

An-Cap Frog

This year is a new low. The highest ranking of BiG West teams is currently Minnesota at #37

Bret Bielema RN...

Birdman Rubbing Hands GIF

Limey Frog

Good job for GP.

I said this last year when he made noises about caching again elsewhere, and I believe it now more firmly: GP's ceiling as a head coach in the current market (i.e., people looking for the newest thing, importance of adapting to the new world of NIL/transfers/players' social media) is a G5 school that is in the pits. I don't believe that GP will land any HC gig that he feels is worthy of him, and I wish for his sake that he'd just retired last year. I wish him well, I hope I'm wrong, and if he's the HC of a school that isn't our rival I will 100% root for him. But I just don't think it's going to happen. He's too old in too many ways for a school at the level of, Nebraska, Georgia Tech, Colorado, or Wisconsin to go for.

That said, he could at least tell the people in Madison that, unlike any recent Wisconsin HC, he has actually won a Rose Bowl!

Limey Frog

5 weeks in, and 5 P5 coaches fired.

Harsin at Auburn is likely next. Could happen after Georgia blows them out Saturday.

This is going to be the new normal in the transfer portal era, where other schools can just straight up buy players off your roster with NIL deals. If you want to know why it's going this way, look at Oklahoma for a good example of what happens when your coach leaves you in lurch in January. As unpleasant as it was to have things with GP blow up in October last year, would we be in anywhere so good a position as we are now if our players didn't have half a season to think about where things were going, and if we hadn't zeroed in on Dykes in time for them to think/talk about playing for him?

Up at Michigan State Mel Tucker started so late (February of 2021) before last year; he hit some major home runs in the portal and looked really good at 11-3, but as it turns out Kenny Walker covered over a multitude of sins. The program is, arguably, still recovering from the timing of that transition.

If you've given a guy one more year to prove himself and the writing is on the wall by week 5 that he hasn't, I don't think you want to wait until mid-December to even start the conversation.