• The KillerFrogs

Wild ending for Minnesota-Rutgers

froginmn

I got some cheap and great seats for Minnesota's game against Rutgers last night. MN is terrible this year and had won one conference game going in. They were down ten for a lot of the game and down exactly ten with 1:15 remaining.

Then it got interesting.

The craziest part was that after the final shot they went into a review. I kid you not it was a full ten minutes. My son and I were pretty much courtside so we were pretty sure his feet were behind the line and he never stepped out. Apparently they were reviewing whether the player who took the inbound pass touched it early, which would have meant that the clock should have started sooner. Not sure what you would do with that anyway because the offense ran based on the clock. A do over? Rewatch the final inbound and let me know if you see anything remotely worth taking ten minutes to review. It was finally confirmed.

PXL_20230303_021057494_copy_616x819.jpg

East Coast

Tier 1
Very enjoyable. I don't understand why when Rutgers had the press beaten the player with the ball passed backwards instead of just driving for the hoop. Also, at the end of the game you always play the inbounds pass, forcing your opponent to to use most of the clock bringing the ball upcourt. And on top of that, the Rutgers coach didn't even use their last timeout while his team was collapsing. Great win for Minnesota, but Rutgers deserved to lose.

I suspect there were fans who left early, or changed the channel a bit too soon, and were doing a double take when they at some point heard the final score. Good for you sticking with it, courtside.

Last edited:

froginmn

I suspect there were fans who left early, or changed the channel a bit too soon, and were doing a double take when they at some point heard the final score. Good for you sticking with it, courtside.
Haha yeah. I thought about that afterwards - saw a few people leave early. Although with the team being as bad as it is, the arena was not much more than 1/3 occupied to begin with. Maybe 5-6K in attendance.

Virginia Frog

Minnesota TCU Man:

THIS is why we watch college basketball!

Thanks for the clip.

A lesson to all: Just because you're down, doesn't mean you're out!

PurpleBlood87

Very enjoyable. I don't understand why when Rutgers had the press beaten the player with the ball passed backwards instead of just driving for the hoop. Also, at the end of the game you always play the inbounds pass, forcing your opponent to to use most of the clock bringing the ball upcourt. And on top of that, the Rutgers coach didn't even use their last timeout while his team was collapsing. Great win for Minnesota, but Rutgers deserved to lose.

That pass back baffled me. Unless maybe he doesn't dribble well. From an early age you are taught to never pass back into the press.

TCU2002

Minnesota plays in a neat, funky arena. Terrible fan amenities, but a true college basketball barn of a kind that is becoming more rare. I enjoyed a few games there during my eight years living in the Twin Cities (years that included TCU football's visit to Minneapolis in 2015 and, bizarrely, a non-conference baseball series with the Gophers at U.S. Bank Stadium in 2020 shortly before Covid).

I understand that Minnesota probably had to move on from Richard Pitino, but I think he experienced some rotten luck that derailed some teams that might generated lasting momentum for the program. They are starting back at the very bottom now, while Pitino has had a strong second season coaching New Mexico.