• The KillerFrogs

Why not just take AzSt, Az, Cal, and Stanford? Leave out CO and Utah

JugbandFrog

Despite the feelings some have about BYU, they have a national following (TV sets). Their last game at ACS they had a lot of fans on the east side -- better than some of our conference mates. I would guess 5,000-7,000 or better. And it was one helluva game! As I recall the game at Jerry World they had a large turnout as well (and it was an another excellent game).
I ran into some Mormons and they saw my TCU gear and were excited about playing in Texas and having common opponents. We had some fun games with BYU back when we were conference mates.

Limey Frog

I ran into some Mormons and they saw my TCU gear and were excited about playing in Texas and having common opponents. We had some fun games with BYU back when we were conference mates.
I saw some in Florida around Thanksgiving 2021. The expansion news was very recent then, and I told them I was looking forward to seeing TCU beat up on their Cougars like old times. They laughed in an admirable "that's not going to happen" sort of way. I'm sure they're not feeling so confident now...

Personally, I can't wait for the new Big 12. I wish OU and Texas wanted to stay, but if they don't I'd rather they be gone. I like the idea of parity in the conference between program strength, but also good consensus on what a college athletics conference is and isn't for. I don't want that balance to be upset. I don't want institutions that would rather be elsewhere (Oregon), or institutions that feel themselves to be above associating with the current Big 12 membership (Stanford/Cal).

Last edited:

Eight

It’s a top 5 recruiting ground and tv market. The whole Pac is living off it.

so adding two schools several hundred miles to the north w smaller fan bases keeps the frogs front and center in socal?

think the helicopters flying over lisa t's annual recreation of the nwa wet and wild pool parties does a better job keeping tcu in the socal spotlight

It makes the most sense, right? Pick up Arizona & Cal schools and provide them recruiting. Anybody that thinks Cal is going to be shut out in a small conference is crazy. There’s a deal to be had with Cal and Stanford, make the zoom call. How much more do we get with the cal schools ?
In my opinion, Stanford is more likely to go independent than join the Big 12, and they aren't likely to go independent.

fanatical frog

Personally, I can't wait for the new Big 12. I wish OU and Texas wanted to stay, but if they don't I'd rather they be gone. I like the idea of parity in the conference between program strength, but also good consensus on what a college athletics conference is and isn't for. I don't want that balance to be upset. I don't want institutions that would rather be elsewhere (Oregon), or institutions that feel themselves to be above associating with the current Big 12 membership (Stanford/Cal).

Agree with all of that but emphatically agree with the bolded portion. Aside from tv markets, the B12 needs member schools with strong commitment to athletics....which eliminates Cal/Stanford.

Dogfrog

When we played Stanford back in the day, I ran into Vic B coming down the stairs at Stanford's book store. I said to him, pretty impressive university, and he quickly responded saying "everyone is impressed with this school and in many ways patterned their philosophy a kin to Stanford, including TCU". It is a world-class university and highly respected by most!"

Most of the Californians I've met are alright and are discouraged with the politics of that state. I do have a quick side note on Californians that is hilarious, but does show the simplicity of some of them. Months and months ago I was talking to the mgr/owner of HigginBros store in my area. They recognized me as the dude who owns the outfit next to theirs. One spoke up with a genuine sincere question asking, "what are those small houses I see on stilts splattered everywhere? Do people actually live in those"? We had a good laugh and apologized for laughing, then said, those are deer blinds we use when hunting deer, wild pigs and so forth. For three seconds it had to sink in, then began to laugh with us.

They're just not as perfect as we Texans.....yet. In about five years or so, they will become galvanized Texans. Just leave your politics back in California and you'll be just fine.
Serious question - What in the wide, wide world of sports does academics have to do with college football moving forward?

I don’t take delight in asking this question. But realistically the PAC, particularly Stanford and Cal, for years have successfully parlayed their academic arrogance (deserved arrogance) into an assumed seat on a very high horse.

With NIL, player free agency, playoffs, and particularly TV revenue generation leading college football, they are dispensable if they don’t wake up IMO.

Yormark just stated on a podcast that all the new Big 12 schools signed a new GOR.
That was a bad question that gave BY a window to say yes... He can say "all the schools are signed on" because, as part of the TV contract negotiations they have to supply said GOR to prove them have the rights to offer. But, that GOR isn't actually in effect or worth anything until the TV contract is signed. If the TV contract is signed, the GOR becomes firm. It's kind of like a realtor contract to sell a house, often those state that you have to work with that realtor but you don't owe them anything unless the house actually closes. If it doesn't you can both walk away.

The question should have been, "There were media reports about a new Big 12 television contract, but you haven't announced it and sources have told us an agreement hasn't been formally signed with FOX and ESPN... Can you tell us if this is true, and if so, why not?"

The answer is (but he probably wouldn't say it): We have a MOU in place, all parties are aligned, we just wanted to wait and see how the TX/OU exit negotiation went and if there were any further changes to the conference membership that needed to be accounted for.

Eight

That was a bad question that gave BY a window to say yes... He can say "all the schools are signed on" because, as part of the TV contract negotiations they have to supply said GOR to prove them have the rights to offer. But, that GOR isn't actually in effect or worth anything until the TV contract is signed. If the TV contract is signed, the GOR becomes firm. It's kind of like a realtor contract to sell a house, often those state that you have to work with that realtor but you don't owe them anything unless the house actually closes. If it doesn't you can both walk away.

The question should have been, "There were media reports about a new Big 12 television contract, but you haven't announced it and sources have told us an agreement hasn't been formally signed with FOX and ESPN... Can you tell us if this is true, and if so, why not?"

The answer is (but he probably wouldn't say it): We have a MOU in place, all parties are aligned, we just wanted to wait and see how the TX/OU exit negotiation went and if there were any further changes to the conference membership that needed to be accounted for.

so there still a chance we can dump byu?

Hemingway

I heard something to the effect that the Pac would have something for it’s members by April. Is that correct?

I think K’s trustworthiness has been tarnished and people might not wait around.
You think we’ll know about new members by April?

I heard something to the effect that the Pac would have something for it’s members by April. Is that correct?

I think K’s trustworthiness has been tarnished and people might not wait around.
You think we’ll know about new members by April?
I think the drop-dead date everybody should have in mind is July 1. If a new deal isn't agreed upon by the start of this last FY for the PAC I think members will bail, and if they even start approaching that date (April, May, June) members will start looking for a landing in earnest.

He's got several months left before people start really, seriously looking around. As far as when GK has committed to having something, he's on his third deadline I believe, so you're right that trust isn't high right now.

Latest posts