• The KillerFrogs

Why Does Our Basketball Schedule Suck So Bad?

It is time for our basketball team to schedule some decent competition in non-conference play. This will hopefully be our third year in a row that the Frogs play in the tournament yet the highest-ranked team that we play in non-conference is A&M Commerce at 240 on KenPom.

I get that it helps our rankings to an extent to enter conference play undefeated, but with the current quadrant ranking system used by the tournament committee, some losses to good teams in non-conference would not hurt our bid. Even if we are not scheduling T-50 teams in non-con we could at least schedule some decent mid-major schools rather than Mississippi Valley State who is consensus ranked the worst team in D-1 basketball

More importantly, I want to care about TCU basketball and have a reason to make the drive to campus sometime prior to January and it frustrates me to see a team like Kansas State getting USC, Nebraska, and even South Dakota State to play while the Frogs play the worst teams willing to play them.

Big Frog II

Even though our conference schedule is killer, I do wish we would play a more challenging non conference schedule. We do have Arizona State in Fort Worth, but at Dickies Arena.

Brog

It is time for our basketball team to schedule some decent competition in non-conference play. This will hopefully be our third year in a row that the Frogs play in the tournament yet the highest-ranked team that we play in non-conference is A&M Commerce at 240 on KenPom.

I get that it helps our rankings to an extent to enter conference play undefeated, but with the current quadrant ranking system used by the tournament committee, some losses to good teams in non-conference would not hurt our bid. Even if we are not scheduling T-50 teams in non-con we could at least schedule some decent mid-major schools rather than Mississippi Valley State who is consensus ranked the worst team in D-1 basketball

More importantly, I want to care about TCU basketball and have a reason to make the drive to campus sometime prior to January and it frustrates me to see a team like Kansas State getting USC, Nebraska, and even South Dakota State to play while the Frogs play the worst teams willing to play them.
Thank you for giving us something else to complain about. I had just about gotten over my near fatal reaction to Saturdays football, and needed something else to worry about.

Even though our conference schedule is killer, I do wish we would play a more challenging non conference schedule. We do have Arizona State in Fort Worth, but at Dickies Arena.
While I am excited for that game, ASU is still barely a T-100 team and Bobby Hurley is coaching for his job. It is also annoying that our Big East - Big XII challenge game is against potentially the worst team in the conference.

froginmn

Aren't ASU, Georgetown, and Clemson all higher than 240?

Just for interest I looked up massey composite rankings for all of the Diamond Head participants:

St. Mary's 19
TCU 27
Nevada 70
Georgia Tech 108
Temple 126
Hawaii 145
Old Dominion 169
U Mass 202

We play winner of Nevada/Temple. So best case schedule wise is we play teams ranked 169, 70th and 19th. Combined with ASU (66th) and Clemson (52) and at Georgetown, not a bad ramp up for the gauntlet of the Big 12, where the lowest ranked team is UCF at like 77.

We’ve got Kansas, Baylor, Texas, West Virginia, Texas Tech, KSU, Houston and Cincinnati on the schedule. I think that kicks ass for a schedule.

Wexahu

Terrible scheduling is an epidemic in both college basketball and college football. I assume it started when "rankings" became the be-all, end-all in the game and because voters have always penalized losses (no matter by how much or to who) and rewarded wins (no matter by how much or to who). I wish they'd create some sort of system where teams were penalized no matter what for playing overmatched teams, the problem would go away instantly.

I don't think anyone enjoys them, except maybe insecure coaches. They are mostly a big waste of time.

leofrog

Just for interest I looked up massey composite rankings for all of the Diamond Head participants:

St. Mary's 19
TCU 27
Nevada 70
Georgia Tech 108
Temple 126
Hawaii 145
Old Dominion 169
U Mass 202

We play winner of Nevada/Temple. So best case schedule wise is we play teams ranked 169, 70th and 19th. Combined with ASU (66th) and Clemson (52) and at Georgetown, not a bad ramp up for the gauntlet of the Big 12, where the lowest ranked team is UCF at like 77.
That would be good if St. Mary’s was in the tourney, but they dropped out early/mid Summer. They were replaced with Portland, who’s 150+.

Do you have tickets? Where do you drive in from? You’re either a basketball fan or you aren’t. We are working in several new key players this year and it will be fun to watch them develop. We’ll be at every home game.
Coming from Dallas and have tickets. I will make it to the Friday non-con game and maybe one more but its hard to pull off on a weekday and not worth the effort to watch Houston Christian