• The KillerFrogs

Which TCU NY6/BCS win will ultimately stand as the most memorable?

Which of the 3 NY6/BCS wins do you think will stand as most memorable?

• 2022 Fiesta Bowl

Votes: 35 44.9%
  • 2014 Peach Bowl

Votes: 6 7.7%
  • 2011 Rose Bowl

Votes: 47 60.3%

• Total voters
“Memorable” is a weird, inherently subjective metric.

In any event, it’s not the 2014 Peach Bowl.
Definitely understand your point here. Which is why I did want to frame it from the 'general CFB fan' perspective, rather than each person's own experience/memories of the bowls. If someone was in school during the 2008-2010 years, I'm sure they'd choose the rose bowl as the most memorable.

For example, during the BCS/NY6 era Boise State had 3 fiesta bowl wins. I'd be willing to bet a majority of college football fans would recall the 2006 win against OU, distantly followed by the wins against us and Arizona, respectively.

I'm trying to apply the same thought process here in terms of the general college football fan.

Last edited:

SwissArmyFrog

Rose and Fiesta were tense and close, which (imho) boosts their memorable-ness. Peach was a tons of fun blowout, but I feel the win there didn't have as much positive consequence as the other two.

Still remember my throat tighten up as the Rose Bowl clock ticked down to zero.

To me, Rose and Fiesta are equal. Peach was fantastic, right below the other two...and it has the famous Davion Pierson finger point: "You don't want to play TCU!"

Fun 'side question': I wonder how high many of us will rank the 2022 Baylor win in a few years?

Last edited:

HG73

Rose and Fiesta were tense and close, which (imho) boosts their memorable-ness. Peach was a tons of fun blowout, but I feel the win there didn't have as much positive consequence as the other two.

To me, Rose and Fiesta are equal. Peach was fantastic, right below the other two...and it has the famous Davion Pierson finger point: "You don't want to play TCU!"

Fun 'side question': I wonder how high many of us will rank the 2022 Baylor win in a few years?
And motormouth Chucky Hunter. Always talking and would back it up. Hilarious.

froginmn

Had you had any exposure to peanuts in the 15 minutes immediately preceding the end of the game?

Rabidfrog

Peach is my fave, a thorough thrashing of a SEC team that had beaten Ala. that year. Patterson’s teams had the ability to just destroy quality opposition with a frenzy that at times amounted to pure joy.

Limp Lizard

The last possession and the winning kick were a thing of beauty. The kick was run perfectly.

But, like most of the games in 2022, poor defense led to the Frogs having to come from behind. Luckily we had a tough, gritty and experienced QB. I think Max had started something like 29 games before the 2022 season. In 2023 we had QBs with 3 and 0 starts experience. As usual the D dug us a hole that the two inexperienced QBs were unable to overcome.

Hoover will have twice the starting experience before next season as Morris had. Plus Hoover seems to have more of "it" than Morris has. He seems able to throw an accurate ball under pressure better than Morris. Plus he just seems to get rid of the ball more quickly. Hopefully, with this new defense, coaches will have enough confidence to get Hejny a bunch of quality snaps.

fanatical frog

Seems obviously Rose Bowl, but the Bowl game not eligible to be on the list but may be best of all was that Sun Bowl in El Paso, with USC scornfully visiting.

And the headline in the El Paso newspaper the following day, "You know who the Horned Frogs are, they're the team dancing in your end zone". I still love El Paso for that.

On edit: Background for the newspaper headline is USC players and fans for several days before the game adopted a theme of saying "TCWho" which they considered a clever way of establishing that playing us was beneath them.

Last edited:

FroginBedford68

I'm with Shreve. The Rose Bowl was the crowning moment, the end of the long wandering through the wilderness after being left for dead. Victory on that stage brought us National respect, and led to inclusion in the BIGXII, which in turn propelled us to what should have been a place in the first Playoff, and finally a place in last year's Playoff. It was a moment of transition that will never be forgotten.

The moment that still captures, for me at least, the grandeur and weight of the day was the TCU Band playing 'Texas, Our Texas" on the field pre-game. All my life I had heard the UT Band, or the A&M Band performing this Texan Anthem as they were representing Texas in the biggest game of the Bowl Season. Hearing the song it finally hit me that, "Oh! It's us! Today it is us!"

...And the Frogs did not disappoint.
And that "Texas, Our Texas" was written by Fort Worthidonians, William Marsh and Gladys Yoakum....FYI, original lyric written before Alaska was admitted to the Union was "largest and grandest"....

Last edited:

FroginBedford68

Seems obviously Rose Bowl, but the Bowl game not eligible to be on the list but may be best of all was that Sun Bowl in El Paso, with USC scornfully visiting.
And the USC quarterback running to the locker room after the game to avoid shaking hands with Frogs....

FroginBedford68

And the headline in the El Paso newspaper the following day, "You know who the Horned Frogs are, they're the team dancing in your end zone". I still love El Paso for that.

On edit: Background for the newspaper headline is USC players and fans for several days before the game adopted a theme of saying "TCWho" which they considered a clever way of establishing that playing us was beneath them.
Awesome....I missed mining that paper....Do you (hopefully) have a pic you can share?....I also missed saving an LA Times sports section page 1 headline, modeled after a Taco Bell advertising campaign with a chihuahua which had him following Godzilla (a promo for an updated movie), saying "Here, leezard, leezard"....The head was for the story about TCU being selected for the Rose Bowl against USC....

fanatical frog

Awesome....I missed mining that paper....Do you (hopefully) have a pic you can share?....I also missed saving an LA Times sports section page 1 headline, modeled after a Taco Bell advertising campaign with a chihuahua which had him following Godzilla (a promo for an updated movie), saying "Here, leezard, leezard"....The head was for the story about TCU being selected for the Rose Bowl against USC....
Sorry, I don't. But I'll set my more research savvy grandsons to work on it and let you know if they can find it. Must be out there somewhere, maybe in the paper archives.