• The KillerFrogs

When was the last time you saw a holding penalty?

Screaming Flea

At the SMU game, they held on almost every down. On Saturday, he'd you think the boys from BYU was about to propose marriage to our guys!

Seems high school is the same way. What is it now? Hv officials decided holding is okay?

Zebra.....?

neo926

I feel like offensive holding is never called much in college anyways, but now that you mention it it has been quite sparsely called as of late.

fdub

an SMU defender almost pulled Kyle Dooley's head off by the facemask; it went uncalled. The play went over and over on replay during the broadcast, too. The announcers didn't mention it.

Any of y'all see it?

Saw 3 holdings called on Saturday. :rolleyes:

Holding is now called based on "philosophy" as opposed as by the written rule.
You will see the defender being held, think it should be called, but it isn't. Things to ask yourself. Was it at the POA (point of attack)? If not, it won't be called. Was the defender able to get off the block? Yes? It won't be called. Was there a twist, turn, pull down? If no it won't be called. Was there restriction? If yes, it probably will be.

Holding as it used to be called, is not holding any more.

60s Frog

Tier 1

You will see the defender being held, think it should be called, but it isn't. Things to ask yourself. Was it at the POA (point of attack)? If not, it won't be called. Was the defender able to get off the block? Yes? It won't be called. Was there a twist, turn, pull down? If no it won't be called. Was there restriction? If yes, it probably will be.

Thanks for the help, Zebra Frog. How the rules get applied is a mystery at best if you're not on the inside of officiating interpretation.

Screaming Flea

Thanks Zebra. This also explains why we don't see holding penalties in high school. Guess then, this philosophy is to increase the "flow" of the game.

For the last six or seven games, TCU's offense has taken nearly the entire 30 seconds to get the ball into play. I believe that is a problem getting into a rhythm with our QB/offense. On the other hand, it hopefully alleviates some mistakes on reads. It does control the clock. For me, I think Andy/offense plays better with an up-tempo philosophy.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Any of y'all see it?

Yeah. it was on a TCU TD that was replayed, so they showed it about a dozen times. Pretty pathetic, considering the ref was about 15 feet away...

Don't worry. You'll see the holding flag come out, right after we score the go-ahead TD in Utah...

$mooth

Thanks Z. Clarification on POA?

I do think it's a little silly that if a defender gets off a block it's not called. That could give the QB 3 or 4 extra seconds back there.

I saw a couple times in last nights Redskins v Colts game where the Colts DE got to McNabb, but had an OL bringing them down so they couldn't hold on. No calls on those, but with a guy like McNabb it gave the skins a big boost.

neo926

Point of attack is referring to the idea that a hold that takes place away from the action, ie. if the runner is heading outside the left tackle and the right tackle is the one committing the hold, it's not going to get called.