• The KillerFrogs

What $119MM buys you these days

steelfrog

Tier 1
QUOTE(crunch @ Apr 14 2010, 08:33 PM) [snapback]544814[/snapback]
Your schtick is so funny. Thank God we have you on this board to keep us all rolling in laughter. You must be the most creative thinker in all of the world. All those hilariously funny posts! How DO you come up with such gems. I know some people don't get it, but they are just simpletons, nowhere near the cerebral might of you. Keep the unique perspectives delivered in such witty ways coming. It's just awesome!

Do I detect sarcasm in your mien?

YA

QUOTE(TheSheik @ Apr 14 2010, 03:58 PM) [snapback]544826[/snapback]
I really dont give a damn as long as I am not paying for it

+1

Goo

QUOTE(South Texas Frog @ Apr 14 2010, 03:11 PM) [snapback]544808[/snapback]
Is Allen not a very affluent area (similar to Southlake)? If so, I'm sure they'll have no problem paying for the $120M price tag. More importantly, the revenue generated by the concessions, ticket sales, parking and playoff games will be huge.

Big picture, folks.

Allen appears semi-affluent (like Plano) with average family income of $109K and avg home value of $226k
This compares to:
$165k income and $540k home for Southlake
$103k income and $230 home for Plano
$375k income and $1.6million home for Highland Park

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bp.../PL4801924.html

The city has a population of 77,000. So assuming football stadium is $60 million, that is about $800 buck per man, woman, and child in debt.

The city's total current budget is $105 million annually

I may be wrong on this, but I really think cities are paying too much for stadiums and that Arlington, Allen, etc will regret this later when tax income continues to fall and pension obligiations continue to increase. I noticed Allen also recenlty bought a muni golf course and an indoor arena. Hope they find some barnet shale on city land.

Goo

http://www.star-telegram.com/2009/06/04/14...or-cowboys.html

It is now estimated Cowboys Stadium cost $1.2 billion, which was $550 million more than expected (a mere 85% budget over-run).

Paying for it

$325 million Bonds, approved by Arlington voters, being repaid by a half-cent sales tax

$25 million Tarrant County

$113 million Private bonds, not city-funded, that will be repaid with a 10 percent ticket tax and $3 parking fee

$76 million NFL loan

$350 million Private bond offering led by Banc of America Securities

This does not include upkeep.

OmniscienceFrog

QUOTE(steelfrog @ Apr 14 2010, 03:27 PM) [snapback]544812[/snapback]
You people are morons. Sorry, but it's true.

I just think it's ironic that idiots here are calling other people stupid. :wacko:

Which category do list yourself under? Idiot, stupid or both?

In the interest of accuracy, go with both.

steelfrog

Tier 1
OK, both.

And in other news--I've been taking recently these GNC Vitapaks, and I got a bit dehydrated playing smashball over lunch, and I just took a whiz and when I saw it I thought "Crikey!" because the u-rine was damn near iridescent. Holy crap!

y2kFrog

QUOTE(Goo @ Apr 14 2010, 01:03 PM) [snapback]544829[/snapback]
Allen appears semi-affluent (like Plano) with average family income of $109K and avg home value of $226k
This compares to:

The city has a population of 77,000. So assuming football stadium is $60 million, that is about $800 buck per man, woman, and child in debt.

I may be wrong on this, but I really think cities are paying too much for stadiums and that Arlington, Allen, etc will regret this later when tax income continues to fall and pension obligiations continue to increase. I noticed Allen also recenlty bought a muni golf course and an indoor arena. Hope they find some barnet shale on city land.

Interesting that the front page story on yahoo right now is about Allen's stadium.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
QUOTE(Goo @ Apr 14 2010, 04:03 PM) [snapback]544829[/snapback]
This compares to:

The average income has dropped below $90,000 and the avg home value below $150,000. Also the school has consistently dropped in ratings since 2006.

Allen had a brief period of good economic growth, planned its entire future on a few years of that growth forgoing its prior 80+ years of history and will find itself being a mansield type city soon. No forethought whatsoever, poor planning and ridiculous emphasis on football.

Smitty

QUOTE(Goo @ Apr 14 2010, 03:03 PM) [snapback]544829[/snapback]

Go Scots

Stiff Arm Frog

QUOTE(South Texas Frog @ Apr 14 2010, 10:14 AM) [snapback]544653[/snapback]
A sub-standard education with ZERO social interaction. Good luck sending that kid to college and into the real world.

I gotta agree with South Texas on this one. Every homeschooled kid I've ever known is a maladjusted freak. One of my roomates (potlock) is a homeschooled kid. Doesn't do anything but sit in his room, play WoW, and occasionaly make weird noises. No friends, no social skills.

Knowing how to deal with people is more important than knowing anything else. You can't get that in your room, playing videogames.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(steelfrog @ Apr 14 2010, 04:40 PM) [snapback]544838[/snapback]
OK, both.

And in other news--I've been taking recently these GNC Vitapaks, and I got a bit dehydrated playing smashball over lunch, and I just took a whiz and when I saw it I thought "Crikey!" because the u-rine was damn near iridescent. Holy crap!

I haven't had a GNC Vitapak in about a month.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(steelfrog @ Apr 15 2010, 11:40 AM) [snapback]545086[/snapback]
Why not--is it dangerous?

steel, 2314 wants to know if steel was home schooled

froginaustin

QUOTE(Stiff Arm Frog @ Apr 14 2010, 09:38 PM) [snapback]544923[/snapback]
I gotta agree with South Texas on this one. Every homeschooled kid I've ever known is a maladjusted freak. One of my roomates (potlock) is a homeschooled kid. Doesn't do anything but sit in his room, play WoW, and occasionaly make weird noises. No friends, no social skills.

Knowing how to deal with people is more important than knowing anything else. You can't get that in your room, playing videogames.

The ONE home-schooled person that stayed at home through the 12th grade that I count as a good friend is just fine in the book larnin' department. After "high school" she stayed at UTx long enough to earn an honorable master's degree. However, in her first job post-college job, she had problems that mutual friends in the human behavior business (psychologists) said were caused by poor social skills. Their opinion was that anything close to a typical high school experience would probably have better prepared her for the social problems she faced on the job as a young adult. Fortunately the young lady is bright and a quick learner.

QUOTE(South Texas Frog @ Apr 14 2010, 03:14 PM) [snapback]544653[/snapback]
A sub-standard education with ZERO social interaction. Good luck sending that kid to college and into the real world.

My wife home schooled for HS. Went to TCU and graduated top of her pre-med class. After graduating she had enough social and leadership skill to be elected president of her medical school class at UT Southwestern and was subsequently chief resident at arguably the top residency in her chosen specialty where she now works as an attending physician and faculty member.

I am not necessarily a proponent of homeschooling, we won't be homeschooling our kids, but I think it is fair to say that a lot depends on the individual students and the parent doing the teaching.

Goo

QUOTE(FeistyFrog @ Apr 14 2010, 07:59 PM) [snapback]544864[/snapback]
The average income has dropped below $90,000 and the avg home value below $150,000. Also the school has consistently dropped in ratings since 2006.

Allen had a brief period of good economic growth, planned its entire future on a few years of that growth forgoing its prior 80+ years of history and will find itself being a mansield type city soon. No forethought whatsoever, poor planning and ridiculous emphasis on football.

I didn't know it had dropped but it strengthens my point that alot of municipalites are spending too much and carefree with their budgets.

These cities make budget plans assuming things will only get better. Then when property tax fall and are stagnant for 10 years, they will wonder why they spent all that money. Rosy forecasts make for some fun dreams, but the reality will be harsh. You should see some of the pension plans these cities offer their workers. I guess if home values increase 10% every year for the next decade they will be OK.....doh!

Goo

QUOTE(FeistyFrog @ Apr 14 2010, 09:18 PM) [snapback]544901[/snapback]
Home values to income ratios:

Allen 2.07
Plano 2.2
Southlake 3.3
HP 4.3
Feisty 1.0

I noticed that too. Sorta scary for HP home values?

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
Famous homeschoolers:

David Koresh
John Wayne Gacy
Ted Bundy
Charles Whitman
Charles Manson
John Gosselin

(as far as I know none of these individuals were homeschooled, just think it is funny how HSers being portayed here)

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(FeistyFrog @ Apr 15 2010, 12:22 PM) [snapback]545119[/snapback]
Famous homeschoolers:

David Koresh
John Wayne Gacy
Ted Bundy
Charles Whitman
Charles Manson
John Gosselin
(as far as I know none of these individuals were homeschooled, just think it is funny how HSers being portayed here)

home_school_diploma.jpg