• The KillerFrogs

WFAA: Year-long construction on University Drive in Fort Worth begins

froginaustin

. . ..

There is little to no pedestrian or bike traffic in the area, and all this imbecility will do is make an already bad situation worse, at great cost, and at crippling length. They will be removing traffic flow capacity for nonexistent needs.

Did Fort Worth hire city planners away from Austin? Or god forbid the same engineering firm that improves Austin Streets?

I wouldn't wish that on Dallas.

BKSledge

The people pushing this should be dangling from lampposts.

There is little to no pedestrian or bike traffic in the area, and all this imbecility will do is make an already bad situation worse, at great cost, and at crippling length. They will be removing traffic flow capacity for nonexistent needs.
Brewing Frog- “We should kill people that what to make it safe for TCU students to walk/bike to the closest large business district to campus.”

Why exactly do you think there is little to no bike/pedestrian traffic in the area?

Do you think maybe that that infrastructure might suck except for along the drainage ditch…cough…Trinity River.

HToady

Brewing Frog- “We should kill people that what to make it safe for TCU students to walk/bike to the closest large business district to campus.”

Why exactly do you think there is little to no bike/pedestrian traffic in the area?

Do you think maybe that that infrastructure might suck except for along the drainage ditch…cough…Trinity River.
I live a block from TCU and ride my bike frequently. There are so many bike and walking paths in the area, I can make it from TCU to the stockyards without ever getting on the road including accessing all of the shopping you mentioned. Even if they put a 3 foot wide bike lane on University Dr. I would never ride right next to cars going 50 mph...

Brog

Doesn't our absolute fascination with bike lanes go back to a former mayor? Anyone who has to drive Hemphill street knows what bike lanes will do to traffic. Or go to Forest Park street which for years was two lanes in each direction. Or go down to the bike lanes on 7th street between University and downtown. I travel all those more than occasionally, and I've yet to see a bicyclist on any of them. Madness.

Hemingway

I always see people riding their bikes to get to Ol South pancake. Thank goodness they are now protected by a bicycle lane.

bronco

Doesn't our absolute fascination with bike lanes go back to a former mayor? Anyone who has to drive Hemphill street knows what bike lanes will do to traffic. Or go to Forest Park street which for years was two lanes in each direction. Or go down to the bike lanes on 7th street between University and downtown. I travel all those more than occasionally, and I've yet to see a bicyclist on any of them. Madness.
They put bike lanes on Oakland Blvd I guess to access Gateway Park. Shortly after putting them in they had to go back and redo it for some reason. I have seen one person on a bicycle use it.

I always see people riding their bikes to get to Ol South pancake. Thank goodness they are now protected by a bicycle lane.
I tried that once as a Freshman (way back when!). It is fun as can all be going North (basically coasting the entire way), but going South after a full meal and a night of drinking and then hitting that hill...walked the bike up and woke up 20hrs later.

Dogfrog

The city has gone nuts. There are already biking lanes….the Trinity trail you numb nuts!
And Trinity Trail is already fairly accessible to TCU from Rogers Rd. Hell, we ride our bikes to Colonial by Trinity Trail to Rogers.

I already avoid driving University and Hulen if possible.

Bizarro Frog

Not sure how the construction on University will turn out but I live close to Forest Park Blvd and when it was 4 lanes it was insane. There were wrecks all time. People would race down the street ending up in people lawns, houses or knocking over light poles. Trying to cross over to the park was like Frogger on level 20. The bike lanes are not used a lot but at least it cut down on the insanity.

TCUdirtbag

For those who didn’t actually read the article before getting mad:
Parking/bike lanes are being added to OLD University Drive.

On University Drive, they’re adding a median, a new traffic light by the Panera Bread, and improving/adding sidewalks along the road.
How dare you not allow uninformed complaints!

tcumaniac

I office off of University in the West Bend shopping center, so this is going to suck.

Hope this isn't an attempt at the same plan that ruined the West 7th street area. The bike lanes and medians they unnecessarily added on 7th street has made that entire stretch miserable to attempt to drive down.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I office off of University in the West Bend shopping center, so this is going to suck.

Hope this isn't an attempt at the same plan that ruined the West 7th street area. The bike lanes and medians they unnecessarily added on 7th street has made that entire stretch miserable to attempt to drive down.
To be fair, that stretch of W 7th was pretty terrible before they changed it.