• The KillerFrogs

Well, Men.............

FrogByBirth

Ticket Exchange Pass
I have been on this board since the early 2000's...... and I have been the loudest mouth (or one of them).... when it comes to being tough on the teams and coaches (out of love!).

I have been a adamant supporter of the RUNNING game over that time...and have always criticized the play calling when we throw to much or get cute with the passing game instead of running in certain situations.

Here is what I am getting at....

over the last 12 years TCU's success has been directly attributable to the strength and play of their OFFENSIVE LINE.
When we have had great defenses - it was because of the great OL's we've been blessed with.

When we have struggled as a team and lost games over the years - or whether the defense wore out and we lost a game - you can point succinctly to OL play.

As talented as this team is and as good as we are.......

the success of this season will lie squarely on the shoulders of what is at this point a very average FBS OL.

Guys....Olineman...it's time to get mean. Mad dog mean. :angry:

Josey Wales: Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. :mad: :angry:

RUN THE BALL!!!

OmniscienceFrog

YAWN.jpg

ricksterh

If you remember about a week ago Coach P was critical of the O Line. The next day those guys came to practice early as a unit with a chip on their shoulder and Coach P's challenge worked. He will have them ready come game time. This O line has some guys who don't have a lot of experience yet but they have some guys who will geter done. I think you will be happy with their play this year! :biggrin:

Young and Horned

How is our defense being ranked #1 in the nation attributed solely to the offensive line? I never knew Tank, TJ, Jerry, Daryl, etc. were not the real reasons. It was the big uglies that shut down offenses.

Temcat Frog

How is our defense being ranked #1 in the nation attributed solely to the offensive line? I never knew Tank, TJ, Jerry, Daryl, etc. were not the real reasons. It was the big uglies that shut down offenses.

If you have a good o-line, your offense can move the ball. Moving the ball leads to taking time off the clock so the opposing offense has less time to score and move the ball, your offense moving the ball leads to scoring which, if done frequently enough will cause the opposing team to fall far enough behind that they have to become one dimensional and throw only... it is a lot easier to defend a one dimensional team that one that is well balanced. Easier to defend, less time on the field for their offense and less yards accummulated and less points. Ergo best defense in the land. If you have listened to LHCGP he preaches this philosophy constantly. Offense MUST be balanced to stay on the field (good o-line essential for this to happen) and keep the opposing offense off. That's exactly how you have the number D in the NCAA.

NativeFrog

Forget this season. The team is rebuilding, just like the stadium. It's going to be a long, trying season. Things will be better all around in 2012. This is kind of a "throw-away" season, if you know what I mean.

oldscribe

There is no doubt that a ball-hogging, time-consuming offense contributes to defensive stats because the D doesn't have to play D quite so often......it is also true that a really good D is a force in itself that helps an offense....especially if it forces the other team to 3-and-out and give it up......in other words, it takes both to tango.....

goldenfrog

Wow. Someone call the Olineman and tell them to read this post. I am sure they won't hear this from the coaches. Getting mean . . . Novel idea.

froginmn

Good coaching decisions are also directly attributable to the OL. And, so are good punts and kickoffs.

Guess the OP played Guard in HS?

Raw Frog

i am still bothered by the lack of any OLs for the 2012 class so far, with only a few spots left. All of the ones we went after have gone elsewhere (at least at this point, and they could change their minds between now and signing day). We have passed on some top OL recruits, notably Trey Keenan. I still think we could get Keenan. I am lost on our tactics in this area, but that means zip. I have faith in our leaders, but I would like to know why we are having a hard time with OL recruiting.

Pharm Frog

Forget this season. The team is rebuilding, just like the stadium. It's going to be a long, trying season. Things will be better all around in 2012. This is kind of a "throw-away" season, if you know what I mean.

gorfevitan… gorfevitan… gorfevitan… gorfevitan… gorfevitan… gorfevitan… gorfevitan… gorfevitan…

Temcat Frog

There is no doubt that a ball-hogging, time-consuming offense contributes to defensive stats because the D doesn't have to play D quite so often......it is also true that a really good D is a force in itself that helps an offense....especially if it forces the other team to 3-and-out and give it up......in other words, it takes both to tango.....

absolutely!!!

michaelperrytcu

If you have a good o-line, your offense can move the ball. Moving the ball leads to taking time off the clock so the opposing offense has less time to score and move the ball, your offense moving the ball leads to scoring which, if done frequently enough will cause the opposing team to fall far enough behind that they have to become one dimensional and throw only... it is a lot easier to defend a one dimensional team that one that is well balanced. Easier to defend, less time on the field for their offense and less yards accummulated and less points. Ergo best defense in the land. If you have listened to LHCGP he preaches this philosophy constantly. Offense MUST be balanced to stay on the field (good o-line essential for this to happen) and keep the opposing offense off. That's exactly how you have the number D in the NCAA.

The question was how does the o-line solely contribute to a great defense, not how does the o-line help. It is obvious a good offense helps a defense out.

Froginexile

I have been on this board since the early 2000's...... and I have been the loudest mouth (or one of them).... when it comes to being tough on the teams and coaches (out of love!).

I have been a adamant supporter of the RUNNING game over that time...and have always criticized the play calling when we throw to much or get cute with the passing game instead of running in certain situations.

Here is what I am getting at....

over the last 12 years TCU's success has been directly attributable to the strength and play of their OFFENSIVE LINE.
When we have had great defenses - it was because of the great OL's we've been blessed with.

When we have struggled as a team and lost games over the years - or whether the defense wore out and we lost a game - you can point succinctly to OL play.

As talented as this team is and as good as we are.......

the success of this season will lie squarely on the shoulders of what is at this point a very average FBS OL.

Guys....Olineman...it's time to get mean. Mad dog mean. :angry:

Josey Wales: Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. :mad: :angry:

RUN THE BALL!!!

I love fat guys who are ugly, but....
last year we faced the greatest offensive line I.B. Hale ruled the field and our outsized D kicked them in the teeth.

We are a team...all 3 areas must click.

That being said, the oline scares me this year.