• The KillerFrogs

Well it's been a fun ride...

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
Those always seem to be high. Usually students with low starting salaries don't fill out the survey. When I was in school they said people in my field should start about at about 40K, my first job was 20k and several of my friends starting in jobs making 20-25K.

This year I hired several TCU grads for about $14 per hour.

Wow we pay better than that for kids with just a GED.

NavySupplyFrog

Just my two cents. I worked forty hours a week during my junior and senior years of college. It sucked but that's what I had to do. Luckily right after college I was accepted to OCS and got many of my student loans forgiven thanks to a military commitment but I love what I did in scho and now I travel further and more often than maniac and I get paid well for traveling.

Tucson Frog

Regrettably my kids did not attend TCU, my grand kids are not attending TCU. They wanted to but there were better deals financially elsewhere, Texas State, TAM, Baylor and Arizona.

My apologies to Naton I got on his computer and didn't change the ID.

The tuition was $12 when I started to school. My how times have changed.

hindry

for what its worth....i got 2 liberal arts degrees from tcu and have about 60 hrs engineering from tech

i can honestly say that time in class was for the most part a waste. that is , profs mostly taught from the text which you had to read anyway. i am at a loss what their job is actually. and i even socialized with some of my profs. also as i understand it, you will never see a prof at harvard. so who can value that? you can not!

and i never ever networked my way into job thru tcu alumni.

scholastically i could have attended university on the moon.

socially.....that's a whole 'nother story.

so to the youngsters on this board, listen to this second generation college man.....

your memories and friends will be from the 3-4-5-6 years you spent at tcu. make sure they are good ones.

our gang bonded in adversity.....1-10, 0-11, vietnam, nixon....

so luxuriart in frog gridiron success........ and tithe 10%.

priceless

for what its worth....i got 2 liberal arts degrees from tcu and have about 60 hrs engineering from tech

i can honestly say that time in class was for the most part a waste. that is , profs mostly taught from the text which you had to read anyway. i am at a loss what their job is actually. and i even socialized with some of my profs. also as i understand it, you will never see a prof at harvard. so who can value that? you can not!

and i never ever networked my way into job thru tcu alumni.

scholastically i could have attended university on the moon.

socially.....that's a whole 'nother story.

so to the youngsters on this board, listen to this second generation college man.....

your memories and friends will be from the 3-4-5-6 years you spent at tcu. make sure they are good ones.

our gang bonded in adversity.....1-10, 0-11, vietnam, nixon....

so luxuriart in frog gridiron success........ and tithe 10%.

priceless

Did you get a degree in poetry from TCU?

HToady

I think the locked in tuition is a big incentive. If you know what it's going to cost you for 4 years it's easier to plan.

Our Finance Adms are not very creative if they can't calculate revenue based on locked in tuition every year (for 4 years duration) even if it comes up to 20% per year. Heck I can make that calculation, and I have a business degree from TCU!

You have to meet certain criteria to be accepted and remain enrolled. I think the University should make some kind of commitment as well to the student.

TCUdirtbag

I think the locked in tuition is a big incentive. If you know what it's going to cost you for 4 years it's easier to plan.

Our Finance Adms are not very creative if they can't calculate revenue based on locked in tuition every year (for 4 years duration) even if it comes up to 20% per year. Heck I can make that calculation, and I have a business degree from TCU!

You have to meet certain criteria to be accepted and remain enrolled. I think the University should make some kind of commitment as well to the student.
The primary reason 99%+ of schools don't lock-in tuition is in the event of a year with especially high inflation, a bad economic hit (e.g., 9/11), etc. Also, there's something to be said about 3 people sitting in the same lecture and paying a different amount of money for the exact same service.

Say you run into an economic catastrophe or even a political catastrophe (e.g., Penn State). If inflation soars or demand plummets, you may have to raise tuition to make ends meet--maybe a significant increase--you don't want to be stuck with only being able to hike tuition on 25% of your student body.

The risk of locked-in tuition is just too great. And there is absolutely zero reward for the school. High risk, no reward is not a wise business decision. I appreciate TCU protecting its endowment by not making poor ones.

HToady

The primary reason 99%+ of schools don't lock-in tuition is in the event of a year with especially high inflation, a bad economic hit (e.g., 9/11), etc. Also, there's something to be said about 3 people sitting in the same lecture and paying a different amount of money for the exact same service.

Say you run into an economic catastrophe or even a political catastrophe (e.g., Penn State). If inflation soars or demand plummets, you may have to raise tuition to make ends meet--maybe a significant increase--you don't want to be stuck with only being able to hike tuition on 25% of your student body.

The risk of locked-in tuition is just too great. And there is absolutely zero reward for the school. High risk, no reward is not a wise business decision. I appreciate TCU protecting its endowment by not making poor ones.

Companies deal with these type contingencies every day when making deals (contractual obligations) It's typical risk, not high risk. They could escalate based on Consumer Price Indices and at worst, the could have each student sign a Force Majure clause!. Surely they can't be that afraid. If need be they could accept more for admission. If there is a downturn, they could suspend some improvements.
I mean it already looks like a Day Spa over there
laugh.gif

It's not being run very well if it requires a 7% tuition increase every year.

michaelperrytcu

It's not being run very well if it requires a 7% tuition increase every year.
Its only not well-run if there is nothing to show for the increases. I don't have the time, but maybe someone here will be kind enough to make a year by year list (going back 6 or 7 years) of all of the additions and renovations that have improved TCU. Those investments cost money.

If there was a way to ever quantify it, I would venture to say TCU's national notoriety, press coverage and overall respect has increased at least 7% each year during that time.

froginaustin

Companies deal with these type contingencies every day when making deals (contractual obligations) It's typical risk, not high risk. T. . ..

"Companies" also enter Chapter 11 reorganizations, or even liquidate, from time to time. Companies like General Motors, Texaco, Penn Central, and rascals like Enron.

"Typical risk" for a "company" is out of the question for a not-for-profit like TCU.