• The KillerFrogs

Watching the Rose Bowl again

NubomTurk

Tier 1
7:30 left in the third quarter and Herbie says:

"You start getting on these long drives; you talk about fatigue. TCU used to forcing teams three and out. Again, how will they hold up in these longer drives in the second half?"

Seven seconds later...BOOM!

It was the Tank, baby.

purplepreacher

"You start getting on these long drives; you talk about fatigue. TCU used to forcing teams three and out. Again, how will they hold up in these longer drives in the second half?"

It was the Tank, baby.
I think we might have beaten the best team in the country. They were big and powerful. I hate to agree with Travis, but we may have played the best game in our history.

Dogfrog

It was the Tank, baby.

Then there's Herbie's dismissive little speech right after we clinched the game full of comments about will a win like this affect discussions in the future about the BCS, non AQ's, the little guy can win a game like this, one game on one night a team like this can play with anybody.

Makes me want to barf.

Lone Frog

Then there's Herbie's dismissive little speech right after we clinched the game full of comments about will a win like this affect discussions in the future about the BCS, non AQ's, the little guy can win a game like this, one game on one night a team like this can play with anybody.

Makes me want to barf.
Not a big fan of Herbie, but to give credit where it's due, remember something else he said right around that time. I think it was during Wisconsin's last time-out, when doing a stand-up with Musberger, he said (paraphrasing): "Let's not forget, at the end of the season, people thought Wisconsin and that offense - if there was a playoff, that would be the team that won it. But Gary Patterson and TCU were incredibly dialed in and prepared ..." Coming from someone who clearly doesn't like TCU much, I think that was particularly honest and complimentary of him.

tcumaniac

i was at my bible study last night that i've been doing all year. it's just a group of some really solid guys that all love tcu sports with a passion. since the year is coming to a close, we went through and talked about our highs and lows of the year. everyone obviously listed the rosebowl as one of their highs, but no one truly meant it as much as I did. I honestly teared up re-telling my experience.

I've sincerely never missed a home TCU football game since birth. My parents brained washed me with TCU from the beginning. From Kindergarden through high school, i literally wore a TCU shirt to school at least 3 days out of the week. Back then TCU wasn't cool at all. Everyone loved UT and A&M and OU. I grew up in freaking fort worth my entire life being told how gay and sucky TCU was. It really wasn't a big deal, but my anger and disdain towards other schools slowly build up over time. After being told for 13 years of schooling that TCU sucked from UT and A&M fans, i naturally had grown to hate everything about UT and A&M and all the other "cool" schools. Then comes college. I did really well in high school and had the choice of attending any school in and around the state of texas. People couldn't comprehend why I picked TCU over schools like UT and A&M. The comes my freshmen year. TCU goes 12-0 and gets an invitation to the Rose Bowl.. The Grandaddy of Them All. I then have the absolute time of my life driving from Fort Worth all the way to Pasadena. Then we did it. We won the Rose Bowl! After the final second ticked off the clock and the players stormed the field, I just stood there in shock. I didn't know how to react. All these years of being told how much TCU sucked, and I got to stand there in the Rose Bowl Stadium and know FOR A FACT that my school was better at football than EVERY SINGLE school that anyone of my friends attended. At that point I lost it and just started balling my eyes out.

We won the Rose Bowl.

wow.

it'll never get old. ever

HG73

Wisconsin's last drive of the first half, you know, the one that lasted about 40 minutes or so. The fake punt, the dropped pass that was overturned in the booth, and the conversion on third and about 15 or so, and we still held them to a field goal. That was some character right there.

texasrobster1997

I just finished another viewing myself. What I noticed this time is how hands on LHCGP is. I love how he just doesn't stand there like a conductor but instead gets in kids faces after each series. Best coach in the country.

michaelperrytcu

i was at my bible study last night that i've been doing all year. it's just a group of some really solid guys that all love tcu sports with a passion. since the year is coming to a close, we went through and talked about our highs and lows of the year. everyone obviously listed the rosebowl as one of their highs, but no one truly meant it as much as I did. I honestly teared up re-telling my experience.

I've sincerely never missed a home TCU football game since birth. My parents brained washed me with TCU from the beginning. From Kindergarden through high school, i literally wore a TCU shirt to school at least 3 days out of the week. Back then TCU wasn't cool at all. Everyone loved UT and A&M and OU. I grew up in freaking fort worth my entire life being told how gay and sucky TCU was. It really wasn't a big deal, but my anger and disdain towards other schools slowly build up over time. After being told for 13 years of schooling that TCU sucked from UT and A&M fans, i naturally had grown to hate everything about UT and A&M and all the other "cool" schools. Then comes college. I did really well in high school and had the choice of attending any school in and around the state of texas. People couldn't comprehend why I picked TCU over schools like UT and A&M. The comes my freshmen year. TCU goes 12-0 and gets an invitation to the Rose Bowl.. The Grandaddy of Them All. I then have the absolute time of my life driving from Fort Worth all the way to Pasadena. Then we did it. We won the Rose Bowl! After the final second ticked off the clock and the players stormed the field, I just stood there in shock. I didn't know how to react. All these years of being told how much TCU sucked, and I got to stand there in the Rose Bowl Stadium and know FOR A FACT that my school was better at football than EVERY SINGLE school that anyone of my friends attended. At that point I lost it and just started balling my eyes out.

We won the Rose Bowl.

wow.

youre-gay.jpg

West Coast Johnny

It was the Tank, baby.

Everyone busted Mussburgers nuts about being a big school homer during the telecast, but you have to give credit where credit is due. That will remain my favourite soundbite ever. "Ohhhhh - do you know who that was? It was the Tank baby! Herbie, that hurt up here."

Everyone busted Mussburgers nuts about being a big school homer during the telecast, but you have to give credit where credit is due. That will remain my favourite soundbite ever. "Ohhhhh - do you know who that was? It was the Tank baby! Herbie, that hurt up here."

One of the best lines I've ever heard a broadcaster make. They way he said it was perfect. Great compliment to an awesome crunching hit.

micahjh

Wisconsin had the best power running game in the nation last year, without a doubt. Their QB Tolzien was good but not great. If we would have had to swap QBs, then our Frogs would have been dead in the water. Wisconsin's D was outstanding up front, but not quite as good in the secondary. The Frogs Defense was epic, and nothing beats great Defense. Dalton was on the money, and that helped us to strike quickly. But Wisconsin showed once again, the age old truth that a power running game is the ultimate trump card in football, at least on offense. Our Frogs had the edge in every facet of the game, except for the ability (or willingness) to have a pound the rock rushing attack. The ground game was Wisconsins only edge, and the trophy almost went the other way because of it.

Someone mentioned that long drive at the end of the half that led to the FG that made it 13-14 at the half, but what is startling is that Wisconsin had the ball for 14 of the 15 minutes in the 2nd quarter. TCU ran three plays (three short passes) in the second quarter and held the ball one minute. Its a good thing the Frogs defense was the best in the land, because normally if the other team has two 7+ minute drives in one quarter, the results are not good. Fortunately we held them to FGs both times, and they missed one of them. Great defense and a bit of luck, or otherwise we are down at the half, and that could have sealed our fate. Couldnt help but thinking after they missed that FG, and we got the ball back, with 8 mins to half and a 4 point lead, that we desperately needed to pound the rock and run some clock. Instead, three passes and a punt, and another blood sucking drive by the Badgers that cut the lead to 1 point at the half.

We ran the ball well in the 3rd quarter, and got another TD, the Crucial one. But the 4th quarter, saw us abandon the run, up 21-13. Prior to Tanks 2 pt converison play, we only handed the ball off 2 times in 11 plays in the 4th quarter, and just got one first down. Wisconsin was onto the short passing game at that point. Our D held them the first time, but Wisconsins 2nd possession was long and brutal and cut the lead to two. The quick strike passing game was clearly a good gameplan against Wisconsin, but it was most effective when we mixed runs in to get them honest. The 2nd and 4th quarters saw us pretty much abandon the run, and Wisconsin had long time consuming drives pounding the rock. Thank goodness they missed that FG in the 2nd, and thank goodness the Frogs D was so reslient and hung in there against the best rushing attack in the country. Normally the teams that run the ball best win the championships, but our Ds toughness and stepping up, overcame our lack of a clock controlling running game.

oldscribe

We won the Rose Bowl.

wow.

Bible study? Was it from the Gospel According to Gary?:cool:

Dogfrog

Two straight BCS bowl games where we basically abandoned the conventional running game. I'm not going to second guess the coaches following a Rose Bowl win. It does make me curious about the game plan. I assumed after both games that the coaches called plays on a "take what they give you" basis but...it just makes you wonder. The comment from Herbie in the first half was that we didn't seem to have confidence in our conventional running game, but not sure that was a fair comment. Also makes you wonder if part of it was not in the plan, rather just AD calling his own number on all those read options.