• The KillerFrogs

Was our OC position undesirable?

Agree. Looks to me like Sonny went straight to Briles. I think the announcement was delayed as TCU devised how to weather the expected backlash, leaked it to release some pressure from the valve, and now is waiting for everyone to get over it and move on to something else.

Briles is a proven solid OC with a track record of success. His character is a huge question mark. It is a little more disappointing to me to know he has a daughter. As the father of one, I believe you value and treat all women the way you do your mother and your daughter.
Also some rumors that ARky wanted it delayed as well.

I think it is fine to question the Briles hire, but pretty clear that was Sonny's first and only choice. This wasn't a "fourth name on the list" hire. As far as the original question, this is an extremely attractive position and job. Probably a top 20 OC position in the country.

BleedNPurple

I’m going to give Kendal a chance to be successful here and prove he’s really not the scumbag many think he is. Let he without sin cast the first stone.

I trust Sonny to be in charge of this program and he no doubt has good reasons to bring a Briles onto our campus. I have a feeling our players are going to respond well and perform well and I expect Son of Briles (SOB) will turn out to be a good citizen here.

Mean Purple

By rough estimate, we are losing 99% of our offensive production. Who wants to trade what they have for a mystery box?

Heisman runner-up QB gone
Top 2 RB’s gone
Top 3ish WR’s gone
PR gone
Multiple OL gone

When was the last time we replaced this many starters on offense?

Our TE is the most exciting returning offensive weapon, and we barely know what a TE does at TCU.

Other than the $, I don’t see much to entice a star OC.
Briles was likely who SC had in mind for going after for the "next hire". Coaches usually keep a "list" (they have an idea of what they want and who might work with their team if a guy they want and have currently decides to move on). Was Riley considered a bigger name, yes. But there were some good players who are coming out of being "young" at Clemson, so I'm sure he's licking his chops to coach a truckload of 4 and 5 stars.
Briles has recruiting ties in Texas and SC said in a radio interview he wants to be more "Texas centric" on players. And he has said that other times.
Briles is also a coaching tree fit.

Mean Purple

Briles was likely who SC had in mind for going after for the "next hire". Coaches usually keep a "list" (they have an idea of what they want and who might work with their team if a guy they want and have currently decides to move on). Was Riley considered a bigger name, yes. But there were some good players who are coming out of being "young" at Clemson, so I'm sure he's licking his chops to coach a truckload of 4 and 5 stars.
Briles has recruiting ties in Texas and SC said in a radio interview he wants to be more "Texas centric" on players. And he has said that other times.
Briles is also a coaching tree fit.
Just realized nothing above answers the title question for the thread.
Our OC position is desireable. Right now, likely a to 15 position. Possibly higher depending on money and how the OC target view the next two seasons of players on the roster.

CryptoMiner

By rough estimate, we are losing 99% of our offensive production. Who wants to trade what they have for a mystery box?

Heisman runner-up QB gone
Top 2 RB’s gone
Top 3ish WR’s gone
PR gone
Multiple OL gone

When was the last time we replaced this many starters on offense?

Our TE is the most exciting returning offensive weapon, and we barely know what a TE does at TCU.

Other than the $, I don’t see much to entice a star OC.
So undesirable that we had to settle from an SEC school that had the #15 total offense last year (better than TCU).

Last edited:
Well, except that we made it to the NC championship game. Of which only 7 programs have done. I think we’ll be alright. Similar to the Georgia poster after they made it and lost. Gotta keep the foot on the gas and there’s no reason to think we are not.
Amen. Foot is still on the gas, we’re just shifting gears

Eight

Amen. Foot is still on the gas, we’re just shifting gears

funny you use the shifting gears comment, reading the threads last week some see this as the last month of the program:

tumblr_5506765be389b0f9844965d8532df4a2_7a2ca683_500.webp

me personally, i choose to be more optimistic and see this as the direction of the program and notice i picked a car decked on in our school colors of black and silver

PlasticWhisperedCutworm-size_restricted.gif

sometimes it takes a bit of time to get things lined up just so, but when everything falls into place, well, magic......................

JubilantBackFennecfox-max-1mb.gif

*using the work of others to enhance my own feable and ineffective thoughts and words​