• The KillerFrogs

Victoria Advocate: Edna grad helps TCU smell the roses

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
tcu2_0127_c_126922_t240.jpg

Victoria Advocate: Edna grad helps TCU smell the roses

D.J. Yendrey had an up-close view when linebacker Tank Carder knocked down a two-point conversion pass to help preserve TCU's 21-19 Rose Bowl win over Wisconsin.

"I was kind of surprised they came out in the spread because I kind of figured they might run the ball," Yendrey said. "I was pass rushing and I turned around and saw what he did. I was pretty excited. I figured we had a good chance to win the game."

Yendrey is still basking in the glow of the Horned Frogs' 13-0 season and No. 2 ranking in the final Associated Press college football poll.

Yendrey would have liked the chance to play for a national championship, but he's proud of what a school from a non-BCS conference with an enrollment of around 9,000 accomplished. ...

Houston Frog

I've always really liked Yendrey, even since he was a recruit.... one of my favorite players

Is he really only 265 right now? I thought he was up around 280 for this year

Houston Frog

I just think Yendrey should be on the outside. Not big enough to play inside, IMO.

He certainly has been able to get the job done inside, but I tend to agree with you. I'd rather take a guy who is naturally 260 lbs and get him lean and shredded and make him a DE, as opposed to making him gain a bunch of unnatural weight and putting him inside at DT where he's undersized.

I guess the question is whether he has the speed to play DE in this defense? I think he does, personally, and I actually wouldn't be surprised to see him on the outside in 2011. Maybe move Broughton inside for good and move Yendrey outside. I guess it depends on where we need him.

West Coast Johnny

Everything that was written about Wisconsin's "big Offensive Line" against our "little guys" kind of came true. Their O-Line blew big holes right up the gut, and thank goodness our line backers, safties & corners had outstanding games or we lose due to this mismatch. This is no criticism of Yendry, but he's undersized. Who besides Yendry & Coleman is going to step up next year on the inside of our line? Bryant House, David Johnson, Ray Burns??? Maybe Chuck Hunter or Davion Pierson?

Matthewavp

I sure appreciate his willingness to play out of position and battle his tail off. He did a great job filling in for Griffin. Frog Factor indeed.

SnoopFrogs11

He's going to be a nice Jerry Hughes esque pass rusher for the Horned Frogs in the future. This was his first season with a solid amount of playing time.

frogmama91

I agree Yendrey can get the job done on the inside but I would love to see him play DE, he definitely has the speed, he anchored the 4x100 relay in high school, I think he ran a. 4.58 forty, not sure he is still as fast after putting on some weight but fast enough, great job DJ!!