• The KillerFrogs

UConn has a new coach

LVfrog

I thought they would try to get a bigger name not longer. I can't believe that will energize the fan base but good luck to them.

ReedFrawg

Pretty good track record at Syracuse though and assume he has some solid recruiting connections in the Northeast. May not be huge name to Joe Public but at least he is a proven winner.

Syracuse: 107–59–1 (62-33)

This is a pretty solid hire. It's not Urban Meyer or Mike Leach, but the dude can turn nothing into something. Look what he did with the Cowboys defense the last eight games.

sdhusky

Over his last decade, he had the best BE record of any program. More BE wins than WVU. More than Miami. More than Va Tech.

Won the conference 4 times in 11 years. 3 BCS type bowls.

Super connected in the Ny, NJ, CT HS coaches.

Scarface

Has anyone else noticed that all of the Big East teams replacing head coaches this year are hiring coaches with some sort of Texas ties.

TexanMark

He'll keep UConn at least in the middle of the pack...at Syracuse he suffered due to the school not pumping money into the program in the mid/late 90s. They rode the cash cow a bit too long and lost momentum.

I see him staying there 5-7 years and turning the program over to a younger guy.

Coach P is a very good coach but he was know for always a [ What the heck? ] loss or two each year at Syracuse. I don't think UConn will sniff a BCS game but they shouldn't be too far back. He is still thought of fondly back in Syracuse by most.

Texas Otto

This is a pretty solid hire. It's not Urban Meyer or Mike Leach, but the dude can turn nothing into something. Look what he did with the Cowboys defense the last eight games.

Coach P by many Cuse fans is known as someone who can turn something into nothing. Inherited a top ten program from Coach Mac and reduced it to a top 15 program while having the most prolific qb in SU history (McNabb) and once Donny moved on the NFL continued to degrade the program to total mediocrity so UCONN best of luck to ya with the Coach P run, run, run, punt ofense!

:laugh:

sdhusky

Coach Mac had ONE top 15 season. One. And it was two years removed from when PP took over.

BTW - PP had many nice things to say about TCU at his opening press conference. Coming from Dallas, he clearly respects your program and see you guys as the team to beat in the NBE.

Texas Otto

Coach Mac had ONE top 15 season. One. And it was two years removed from when PP took over.

BTW - PP had many nice things to say about TCU at his opening press conference. Coming from Dallas, he clearly respects your program and see you guys as the team to beat in the NBE.

Oh Mr. Husky you are wrong: 1987 #4, 1988 #13, 1991 #11(yes I know P was in the chair in 91 but they were all Mac's kids)

:tongue:

sdhusky

I meant one top 10. My mistake.

So, in about a quarter century, they finished top 10 once (for years before was HC) and one top 15 finish, they are a top 10 program. Really???

And you don't give him credit for 91 despite the fact that Mac didn't win with those kids in 89 and 90?

And SU fans would cream if Marrone ever did what PP did in his final 4 years at SU (that was SOOOO terrible) - 2 BE Championships and 1 BCS game.

I am still trying to figure out why previousw coach went from UCONN to Maryland? Maryland is an upgrade?
A couple of things there...Under Armour is putting money into the program, and VaTech no longer has a monopoly on the best athletes in that area. So there is a pretty good upside there. Additionally, the ACC does not have a dominant team, so he may see an opportunity.

I agree that on the surface it doesn't look like an upward move, but UConn is not an easy sell for football.

sdhusky

I think Edsall just ran out of steam at UCONN.

He built us up from nothing - we weren't even HS standards when he came - and I don't think he ever saw UCONN as a place to stay.

PP has won more BE Championships, been to more BCS games and has more top 25 finishes than the rest of the BE coaches...combine. Including TCU.

It was interesting at his presser, you could tell that he believes TCU is the team to beat to get to the BCS in the BE and that he intends to use some of his Dallas connections for recruiting.

PP has won more BE Championships, been to more BCS games and has more top 25 finishes than the rest of the BE coaches...combine. Including TCU.
Huh?

Name all the BCS bowls Syracuse played in while PP was coach...hint: it will be half as many as Patterson.

And he does NOT have more Top 25 finishes than GP...hint: same number as Patterson, but three less top 10's than Patterson.

toadallytexan

ToadallyTexan
Is it me, or has the price of poker gone up in the BE even before we get there?

Seems as if everyone is taking tiny TCU awfully seriously, judging by all the new coaching hires and what not. Didn't everyone tell them we are not even an Auto Qualifier...They did, huh?...Still not buyin' it, are they?...Guess the "poor little guy" routine won't work anymore. Nobody north of the Red, or east of the Sabine is buying it.

Funny, non-AQ status seems like it's still such a big deal in Waco and with all those other Big-XII(ish) negative recruiters. This just proves, yet again, that those Big East fellas are a whole lot smarter than the Big-XII(ish) conference clowns...but we knew that already.