• The KillerFrogs

Trent Dilfer: CFB "super league" within 18-24 months?

Grandfathering in Rutgers, Indiana, Purdue, NC State, Maryland, Vandy, Minnesota, Virginia, Northwestern, Pitt and Illinois would be a joke. Hell, what exactly has Arkansas done in the last 30+ years? Miss St. is a very average program as well and would barely make the cut if based on accomplishments. If Duke and Kansas are getting left out, why is Kentucky assumed to be in? Quite frankly, I'm not sure WVU deserves to be in at the expense of better programs. VaTech hasn't done anything in more than a decade and there doesn't seem to be any light at the end of that tunnel.

Can’t take Staples' lineup seriously. If they truly want to make this move, it has to be based on merit. Who cares if your school has a lot a alums if they don't support the program and your administration doesn't prioritize football?

I hate Baylor as much or more than any other person on here, but there's no way that list of schools above deserves to be included while leaving Baylor out. Some might say Waco sucks, but Starkville, MS isn't any better than Waco, and Pittsburgh doesn't care about college football -- 2.5 million people in the area, and their attendance is less than Baylor's in a metro of 250K max.

College football needs a commissioner to lead them through this mess -- one with an appreciation for the tradition and history that has made the sport what it is, and not some cuckold for the SEC/B1G and the networks.

Limey Frog

Temple getting the boot by the Big East for falling below the contractually agreed benchmarks for a member program is probably the only one. In '96 four programs left the SWC, which then became unviable and dissolved. The Big 8 continued, legally speaking; rebranding as the Big 12. There was the "airport 8" breakaway that formed the MWC, but the WAC didn't dissolve at that time.

The Big Ten and SEC will not dissolve in order to reform a new "super league" from the studs up. A new rules structure will be agreed, and there will be either a new NCAA subdivision for big-time football or (more likely) a new body. Perhaps the CFP will become that body. But the Big Ten and SEC have valuable contracts in place, among other compelling incentives, to continue in operation. And as long as they do, "Rutgers doesn't bring in as much money as Ohio State" isn't a legally defensible ground for booting the Scarlet Knights to make room for FSU or anyone else. Rutgers would sue the Big Ten and be awarded more than it's worth to get rid of them (never mind all the other reasons to not do it).

Whatever comes next, the Big Ten and SEC will either grow into that structure by adding more football members but not dropping any, or those conferences will be the dominant powers in an arrangement that also includes other conferences as second-class citizens. The question is, if the former does TCU get an invite, and if the latter, how wide will the citizenship status gap be?

Wexahu

Grandfathering in Rutgers, Indiana, Purdue, NC State, Maryland, Vandy, Minnesota, Virginia, Northwestern, Pitt and Illinois would be a joke. Hell, what exactly has Arkansas done in the last 30+ years? Miss St. is a very average program as well and would barely make the cut if based on accomplishments. If Duke and Kansas are getting left out, why is Kentucky assumed to be in? Quite frankly, I'm not sure WVU deserves to be in at the expense of better programs. VaTech hasn't done anything in more than a decade and there doesn't seem to be any light at the end of that tunnel.

Can’t take Staples' lineup seriously. If they truly want to make this move, it has to be based on merit. Who cares if your school has a lot a alums if they don't support the program and your administration doesn't prioritize football?

I hate Baylor as much or more than any other person on here, but there's no way that list of schools above deserves to be included while leaving Baylor out. Some might say Waco sucks, but Starkville, MS isn't any better than Waco, and Pittsburgh doesn't care about college football -- 2.5 million people in the area, and their attendance is less than Baylor's in a metro of 250K max.

College football needs a commissioner to lead them through this mess -- one with an appreciation for the tradition and history that has made the sport what it is, and not some cuckold for the SEC/B1G and the networks.
Rutgers, Indiana, Purdue, NC State, Maryland, Minnesota, Virginia and Illinois......yes. Northwestern, Vandy, MSU and Pitt....no.

If 48 is the number, we'd be lucky to get in IMO. I'd imagine State schools with large alumni bases are going to get the nod over smaller private schools in most all cases. Performance on the field will sort itself out, what they will look for is maximum numbers and eyeballs over time. More people tune in to watch TCU than Minnesota or Illinois now, but would they if TCU, Minnesota and Illinois were all 4-8 or 5-7 for a stretch of 4-5 years? Those big state school's floor in terms of numbers and eyeballs is a lot higher than ours and that is a major consideration I would think.

Toad Jones

Most likely been mentioned, but ND, (church school,) USC, and Miami are in for-sure. ALL the rest are state schools which presumably are a prerequisite for entrance into the class elite. In other words, if you are a state school, no worries.

I think it will be a struggle to join the elite group based on the above stats. In any case we knew this was coming months ago. However all is not lost, keep in mind our location and the our market. THAT...... eventually will be our saving grace.!!!!

Limey Frog

TCU, SMU, Rice and Houston voluntarily left? Hmm. My recollection is they didn't get the invite to the big league. Which is what will happen to the runts when the new breakaway BiGSEC forms. jmho.
I meant Texas, Aggy, Baylor and Tech. They left, then the conference was non-viable. I don't think that's what the Big Ten and SEC big boys will do to their runts, but we'll see. If they did, I think TCU would be in good shape. If the system were being build from scratch with the 40-ish best programs we would be included for sure.

HG73

Most likely been mentioned, but ND, (church school,) USC, and Miami are in for-sure. ALL the rest are state schools which presumably are a prerequisite for entrance into the class elite. In other words, if you are a state school, no worries.

I think it will be a struggle to join the elite group based on the above stats. In any case we knew this was coming months ago. However all is not lost, keep in mind our location and the our market. THAT...... eventually will be our saving grace.!!!!
Miami? Always on probation, thug U, off campus stadium, lousy attendance, lousy on field performance. UF and FSU are in for sure, who needs Miami and their baggage?

Dutch

T C U Froooogs
I hope you're right. Given the way these decisions get made, I'm afraid I don't share your absolute confidence. I think if the number is more than 50 we've got a decent shot, but if it's in the 40s we could be in trouble.

The people saying that the SEC and Big Ten will drop their bottom feeders are wrong, I think. There's no precedent for any such thing, and legally the only way they could do that would be to dissolve the conference and start over. So if you're starting with 34 programs already, and setting the number below 50, who else do you need room for?

Notre dame, FSU, Clemson, UNC, Miami, VT, Virginia, NC State, and Pitt from the ACC at least; probably Louisville, too. That's already nine, putting you at 42. If the number is only 48, are you sure TCU is ahead of ten other programs in the new Big 12? I don't mean at playing football, that's irrelevant.
TCU will be in.

DeuceBoogieNights

this seems like a race to kill the golden-egg-laying-goose. how fast can we get there and take away what has been a cherished collegiate game, filled with traditions, anticipated year-round? can't wait to see it all destroyed. for what reason is yet to be determined.

Honestly wish it would happen already just to get it over with. Everyone knows it's coming. Put us out of our misery already.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
I would say in 12 months. They seem to be moving fast and see it as losing millions and gazillions of dollars the longer they wait.

PurpleBloodSpitter

There was an interesting discussion on today's Andy Staples podcast, with Cole Cubelic who recently had Trent Dilfer on his radio show in Birmingham. Evidently Difler said that, from conversations he has had with people who know such things, there are high-level discussions going on currently about creating a break-away subdivision for major college football. This would be the Big Ten and SEC plus various ACC and Big 12 programs that are valuable enough to participate.

Staples and Cubelic's discussion is the first 45 minutes below, and Dilfer's comments are excerpted toward the beginning of the episode.

Around 35 minutes Staples and Dilfer start spit-balling about how many teams there would be room for. Dilfer said 50-60. Staples and Cubelic speculated 48 for the sake of having even divisions like the NFL. Obviously it's all speculation, but law suits against the NCAA have blown up the current model and a redesign for college football is coming sooner than later. (Dilfer's number would probably have room for TCU; Staples' likely wouldn't.)

Personally, I'm fine with players being paid, football programs being separated from university administrations as sub-licensed semi-independent "brands," etc. I would like to see roster stability, players remain enrolled students thereby functioning as work-study employees in some capacity, limits on transfers, some effort to secure a degree of parity, and an end to destructive inter-conference raiding of member programs. I just wish that whatever they're going to do they would just get on and do it, instead of making decisions piecemeal. College football has always evolved in a haphazard way, such that while each decision effecting change makes some sense to at least some parties on some level, the whole is a Frankenstein's Monster of irrationality. There are many iterations of how reforms could go, ranging from things that would make college football totally unappealing to things that would make it better than ever. Of course my ultimate red line is whether TCU football is in or out of such a system. If we're cut out, I'm getting off the train and will never watch any of it.

At any rate, maybe the scumbags in control of this thing will tell us sometime in the next two years whether TCU football will be allowed to continue punching above its weight class, or whether they're going to come back around to finish the assassination attempt the 'Whorns and Aggy botched in 1995.

Really enjoyed that and couldn’t agree more. Very well said.