• The KillerFrogs

Transfers

Hemingway

The "pie" that they are destroying was exploitative, and destructive, and left 98% of the players with jack [ Finebaum ]e, while making many others rich. Your own beloved Scotty Nix died at 53 directly because of football. Many others of us were left with crippling injuries. The million dollar coaches and admins risk none of that, and realize nearly all the profit.

"Oh but they got a degree."

BS. First, many do NOT get a degree. Second, most get a degree that isn't worth diddly, in Sports Management and such. Third, most could have gotten a much BETTER degree without 40 hours of practice, travelling every other weekend, getting their brains beat in, etc. Lastly, many don't need to have gotten a degree in the first place, as many worthwhile professions don't require a degree.

"Oh but that's a choice they made. They entered into a CONTRACT!" Oh, really? A free choice, not sold to them and their parents as something it was not? Give Steel a break, and open your eyes.

From the player perspective, football sucks. It's human cockfighting. When you're 19, you don't know any better - it's great! So FUN! When you're 35, or 55, you realize it was a giant waste of time, caused you to do things you would never have otherwise done (like gain 50, or 100 pounds), and left you with nothing but a few memories and a bunch of injuries which get worse over time.

So, what EVER the players can get now of what hopefully is a shrinking pie, more power to them.
Scotty died of a heart attack, correct?

FrogCop19

I know this might not be popular, but for every 10 people we have transfer, we have 50-60* that stay. I know it's frustrating, but I am trying to be as optimistic as possible for all the Mad Max's and Tomlinson's that stayed despite depth chart/competition/whatever. Those are the people I'm invested in, just like they are invested in the University I spent 12 years as a student and employee at. Those that leave, it's their choice, they're gone and there's nothing I can do about it.

*numbers made up completely to make me feel better about my attempted optimism....

82 Frog Fever

He knows he put a Horned Frog on his announcement to shmew, right?
To me, that looks like he’s absolutely taking a shot at TCU.
SMU did a great job. They visited his house the day after he declared and offered same day. It took TCU another week to contact him.
He didn’t even visit either school, so I wouldn’t be surprised if SMU money whipped him.

FrogCop19

SMU did a great job. They visited his house the day after he declared and offered same day. It took TCU another week to contact him.
He didn’t even visit either school, so I wouldn’t be surprised if SMU money whipped him.
He also put a clown next to his "time to work", which makes me think either his emoji game is very weak or mine is.

Wexahu

You could say that about everyone. The guys that we sign or keep, we very most likely money-whipped them, that's how we signed them or kept them.

That's what it's all about now.....money-whipping, and little else.

Chongo94

He also put a clown next to his "time to work", which makes me think either his emoji game is very weak or mine is.
Believe he intends that to mean The Joker. Subtle, but different. They seem to say the Joker did work. I’ve come across this before from other younger dudes…I don’t necessarily get it but I believe that is how they intend their referencing.

82 Frog Fever

You could say that about everyone. The guys that we sign or keep, we very most likely money-whipped them, that's how we signed them or kept them.

Good point, I agree. It probably won’t be much of a surprise when we see a collective bargaining agreement in CFB in the not too distant future. Disgusting!

The TCU Football Jerk

Sad that the slaves now have the same choices that anybody else in society has. So sad.

You people are something else.

You all are in favor of capitalism except when it comes to your favorite hobby.

Maybe if you were getting your knees and back destroyed and your brains beat in while the coaches are paid millions and the schools are building billion dollar stadjia, you might want a piece of that pie too, eh?

Steel is not specifically calling you out, PC, but this group of porcine couch-sitters as a whole are a bunch of morons.

The issue is not that they are now finally making something for their effort, the issue is that the pendulum has swung too far in the other direction. Once they had nothing, now they have everything.

A school and a fan base is owed something for the money and education these young people are getting. Balance. Like everything in life. Find the medium. A greasy cheeseburger once in awhile, not everyday. A few tokes on a spliff every few weeks or so, not everyday. A skull splitting hangover once a month or so, not every weekend. Balance.

The TCU Football Jerk

The "pie" that they are destroying was exploitative, and destructive, and left 98% of the players with jack [ Finebaum ]e, while making many others rich. Your own beloved Scotty Nix died at 53 directly because of football. Many others of us were left with crippling injuries. The million dollar coaches and admins risk none of that, and realize nearly all the profit.

"Oh but they got a degree."

BS. First, many do NOT get a degree. Second, most get a degree that isn't worth diddly, in Sports Management and such. Third, most could have gotten a much BETTER degree without 40 hours of practice, travelling every other weekend, getting their brains beat in, etc. Lastly, many don't need to have gotten a degree in the first place, as many worthwhile professions don't require a degree.

"Oh but that's a choice they made. They entered into a CONTRACT!" Oh, really? A free choice, not sold to them and their parents as something it was not? Give Steel a break, and open your eyes.

From the player perspective, football sucks. It's human cockfighting. When you're 19, you don't know any better - it's great! So FUN! When you're 35, or 55, you realize it was a giant waste of time, caused you to do things you would never have otherwise done (like gain 50, or 100 pounds), and left you with nothing but a few memories and a bunch of injuries which get worse over time.

So, what EVER the players can get now of what hopefully is a shrinking pie, more power to them.

I disagree that 1) Nix died from football. He died of a heart attack; and 2) that these kids didn't have a choice. That they were sold something. They were only sold on the school they chose. Their minds were made up they were going to go play college ball somewhere. Don't confuse the issue with 'sales'.

82 Frog Fever

I know this might not be popular, but for every 10 people we have transfer, we have 50-60* that stay. I know it's frustrating, but I am trying to be as optimistic as possible for all the Mad Max's and Tomlinson's that stayed despite depth chart/competition/whatever. Those are the people I'm invested in, just like they are invested in the University I spent 12 years as a student and employee at. Those that leave, it's their choice, they're gone and there's nothing I can do about it.

*numbers made up completely to make me feel better about my attempted optimism....
I kind of agree with your mindset. That’s about all CFB fans have left.
I also see Steel’s point about the need for player compensation.
My issue is why does everything have to be the extreme? Here the extremes are the full professionalization of college sports Vs. play for a scholarship.

What you are witnessing is going to get a lot worse (from a fan perspective) before the end of this year.
There must be a “settlement” in House vs. NCAA, a class-action federal lawsuit seeking damages for athletes who were denied the opportunity to earn money from use of their NIL going back to 2016.
This settlement, in the billions, will change everything.

Here is 2 articles that will give you a feel for the confusion, huge money, and changes coming.

tetonfrog

It is hard for me to go off on him when he will be trying to block our DT who transferred in from UH or our DE who transferred in from........yada yada yada.

Edit: oh wait, do we even play SMU next year?