• The KillerFrogs

Transfers

Spike

Sad that the slaves now have the same choices that anybody else in society has. So sad.

You people are something else.

You all are in favor of capitalism except when it comes to your favorite hobby.

Maybe if you were getting your knees and back destroyed and your brains beat in while the coaches are paid millions and the schools are building billion dollar stadjia, you might want a piece of that pie too, eh?

Steel is not specifically calling you out, PC, but this group of porcine couch-sitters as a whole are a bunch of morons.
Had to google porcine. Does this mean you aren't going to sit by me at the games?

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
Steel's right.

Many do not like it, but this has been a long time coming. If we step outside our emotional responses, players have deserved a cut of the pie for a long time and the conditions right now are similar to many categories of private employment, especially with noncompetes dead.

Yes it seems kind of wild west at the moment, and yes it seems weird to think of the "pure-ish" college football we all grew up with as nothing more than a big business. But it's true, once big TV and big money got into it, it became a business. And it can't be a business in all aspects but one.

I'll always still enjoy cheering for Horned Frogs.

Wexahu

Steel's right.

Many do not like it, but this has been a long time coming. If we step outside our emotional responses, players have deserved a cut of the pie for a long time and the conditions right now are similar to many categories of private employment, especially with noncompetes dead.

Yes it seems kind of wild west at the moment, and yes it seems weird to think of the "pure-ish" college football we all grew up with as nothing more than a big business. But it's true, once big TV and big money got into it, it became a business. And it can't be a business in all aspects but one.

I'll always still enjoy cheering for Horned Frogs.
Once total free agency got into it, it lost all it's entertainment value, at least in my opinion.

I just imagine if the NFL, MLB, and NBA had no draft , no salary cap, and annual free agency......and I think to myself, that'd be about the dumbest thing ever in about every way I can think of, why would that interest me at all as a sports fan?

Spike

Funny,
Between Wesleyan having a mentor program which has allowed me to get to know some of the kids, and all of this NIL/transfer portal silliness I seem to enjoy Wesleyan football more than I do D1. Very few of those kids are on athletic scholarships and Wesleyans tuition is not cheap. They are still student athletes.

Chongo94

You're funny.

This version of college football sucks. I hope you enjoy it.
Does it? Does it really? I mean most metrics such as money being made and people still watching games, in person and on television, would point to no, that it does not suck. Nor does the enjoyment suck from winning games and the usual pageantry of the fall season.

Some of y’all just need to stop yelling at clouds at this point. What’s done is done, stop watching or move on and enjoy.

hometown frog

Hurts to read it.
Folks trying to compare college sports to pro sports are comparing apples to oranges I think. The average top league pro career is something like 4 years depending upon the sport and a few have minor leagues below the major leagues that are all subject to the same contract terms. College career is 5 years max (unless you are Chuck oBannon) and prob closer to 1-2 years total overall. So the total playing lifespans are completely different. So comparable contract terms should also be different.

officially contract terms for college players on scholly are annual. NIL deals are more like signing bonuses with no claw back clauses. So based upon the averages, scholarship players have maybe 2-3 contract reup opportunities over their lifetime. That doesnt seem all that Wild West to me.

As ive said, it makes it harder to be a fan simply because the roster turnover makes it harder to find connections w players year over year. But I’ve found ways so far. And I’m all for the players finally getting their cut of the profits that coaches and admins have been stealing for decades. So get paid players. I’ll still be in the stands watching and cheering.

Wexahu

Does it? Does it really? I mean most metrics such as money being made and people still watching games, in person and on television, would point to no, that it does not suck. Nor does the enjoyment suck from winning games and the usual pageantry of the fall season.

Some of y’all just need to stop yelling at clouds at this point. What’s done is done, stop watching or move on and enjoy.
Yes, it most definitely does. Give it time. The networks will promote the hell out of it so they'll probably get decent ratings for awhile (heck, Keeping Up with the Kardashians gets good ratings). But from a sports standpoint, it's awful.

It's like having a crosstown rivalry where you got the affluent school who plays the not so affluent school from the other side of town. Can result in some great, fun games...kind of what sports is all about. Then you change the rules to allow the affluent school to pay and recruit the good players from the other side of town to come play for them. Great for those players I suppose, but all the sudden you have a product nobody is interested in because it's no longer remotely a fair situation from a competitive standpoint.

That is what will happen here. Maybe slowly, but it will definitely happen under these rules.

Chongo94

It's like having a crosstown rivalry where you got the affluent school who plays the not so affluent school from the other side of town. Can result in some great, fun games...kind of what sports is all about. Then you change the rules to allow the affluent school to pay and recruit the good players from the other side of town to come play for them. Great for those players I suppose, but all the sudden you have a product nobody is interested in because it's no longer remotely a fair situation from a competitive standpoint.

That is what will happen here. Maybe slowly, but it will definitely happen under these rules.
That’s exactly how it is already in many towns annnnnd, no one cares. They still love and enjoy to go to the rivalry game.

Froglaw

The "pie" that they are destroying was exploitative, and destructive, and left 98% of the players with jack [ Finebaum ]e, while making many others rich. Your own beloved Scotty Nix died at 53 directly because of football. Many others of us were left with crippling injuries. The million dollar coaches and admins risk none of that, and realize nearly all the profit.

"Oh but they got a degree."

BS. First, many do NOT get a degree. Second, most get a degree that isn't worth diddly, in Sports Management and such. Third, most could have gotten a much BETTER degree without 40 hours of practice, travelling every other weekend, getting their brains beat in, etc. Lastly, many don't need to have gotten a degree in the first place, as many worthwhile professions don't require a degree.

"Oh but that's a choice they made. They entered into a CONTRACT!" Oh, really? A free choice, not sold to them and their parents as something it was not? Give Steel a break, and open your eyes.

From the player perspective, football sucks. It's human cockfighting. When you're 19, you don't know any better - it's great! So FUN! When you're 35, or 55, you realize it was a giant waste of time, caused you to do things you would never have otherwise done (like gain 50, or 100 pounds), and left you with nothing but a few memories and a bunch of injuries which get worse over time.

So, what EVER the players can get now of what hopefully is a shrinking pie, more power to them.

Interesting you mention their contract.

Contract elements include a meeting of the minds and the payment of money for services in todays game.

I have not seen a breach of contract lawsuit against a player for taking the money and running to an SEC school, but I hope one is coming soon.

But to stop the bidding war it will take a lawsuit against an Alabama or Georgia for tortuous interference with an existing contract when they money whip a kid away from Middle Tennessee State.

When local juries see how dirty the game is now being played by the big boys and start handing out one billion dollar verdicts to University of North Texas against OU, then some normalcy will return.

STEEL that is capitalism with an effective judicial branch overseeing the system.

I don’t blame the kids, I blame the big schools that see the kid nobody offered who goes to Tulsa, turns out to be a very good QB, has a NIL contract with the booster club, and breaches that contract to go to OLE MISS the next year for a million dollars.

Drag Ole Miss into a Tulsa courthouse and talk about the existing Tulsa contract, the hard earned dollars paid by the Tulsa Alumns, the devastating effect on season ticket holders who bought tickets based on the kid‘s prior development, and how some SEC coach and boosters waived their wallets around to create a half empty stadium.

Yep, the behavior of the the Haves will continue until the Have Nots get twelve good and true to issue monetary compensation in the form of actual and punitive damages,

Let the LSU NIL booster group get chased into bankruptcy court along with the Coach and major donors then maybe sanity will return to NCAA sports.

Last edited:

froginmn

That’s exactly how it is already in many towns annnnnd, no one cares. They still love and enjoy to go to the rivalry game.
I tend to disagree if the unfettered free agency part isn't fixed. For me there has always been interest in seeing my school find a diamond in the rough (and Gary was a very good evaluator of talent) knowing that we'd develop him and there was something to look forward to.

The prospect of that kid being taken away and the story repeating itself slants the competitive nature toward the "haves " much further than has been the case since scholarship limits came into play.

This hasn't had a chance to play out so I think it's a near future thing rather than something that has already happened. But we'll see; there are lots of ways for this to blow up.

Last edited:

Spike

Your own beloved Scotty Nix died at 53.
I was thinking it was 55 or 56, either way way too young. Curtis Quigley, who also played on some of those Frog teams, was the same age died the same week. Was a crappy week and I miss them both dearly.