• The KillerFrogs

To Win a National Championship in Baseball

maxmtex

1. Our catchers need to stop our opponents running game
2. Our starting pitchers need to come close to last year's performance
3. We need to be injury-free

Please add what you see as essential to TCU getting to Omaha, and winning.

Go Frogs!

PurpleBlood87

Someone needs to step up to be the team leader. I'm guessing that will be Taylor Featherston. Not having Holaday creates a void to be filled behind the plate and in leadership.

Sangria Wine

1. Stay away from key injuries

2. Play like we are capable of and get a protected seed

3. Solidify a shut down closer

4. Catch a break or two in the post season and in particular in Omaha

This team is built to have a legit chance at our first title but as we all know...it's baseball and baseball is a funny game!

ricksterh

I agree with all the above plus come up with some
more quality depth on the pitching staff including
a shutdown closer. A little luck and timely hitting
to bring in runs and not strand guys on base plus get to
host a regional and a super and then stay in the winners bracket.
:biggrin:

FROGDADDY

The problem with a few of the above comments is that we've already had a VERY significant injury. I don't think anyone is really grasping yet how much losing Merck is gonna hurt this team. The one thing that I think will help this team is that as I type this I don't see another team in our part of the country that is any better than we are. Rice, UT, A&M, OU, Baylor........all varying degrees of good, but none great. And nobody can match our starting three. UT comes close but our lineup is significantly better than theirs.

LVfrog

Just have to stay focused and play Frog ball. If our starting pitching is as good as last year then I think we will be a tough out. Timely hitting will help the pitchers to not have to too fine.

Let's enjoy the ride as this is a superb team.

First Tee Frog

The problem with a few of the above comments is that we've already had a VERY significant injury. I don't think anyone is really grasping yet how much losing Merck is gonna hurt this team. The one thing that I think will help this team is that as I type this I don't see another team in our part of the country that is any better than we are. Rice, UT, A&M, OU, Baylor........all varying degrees of good, but none great. And nobody can match our starting three. UT comes close but our lineup is significantly better than theirs.

Do you see miller being able to fill that closers role? Hate to even ask but how did walker kelly look in the fall? Or are we going to be asking a freshman to step in and nail it down and out of those guys who has the best chance of being that guy?

Burner1

Tier 1
All good comments. If the team plays up to its capabilities we should have as good a chance as anyone. I'm just glad we can win a national championship in Omaha and not have to depend on a poll.

They start using the new bats this year, right? That should reduce home runs and make small ball more important.

r7commish

Well first we have to get into a BCS conference...oh wait, that's just for football.

Isn't it strange that when TCU made it to the CWS last year that their "strength of schedule" or weak conference wasn't argued about over and over again?

frogtex

Agree with everything FD says except I believe that OU is at least as good as last year, if not much better....my thoughts:

1. Replacing Gerrish, Lockwood and Marshall will be just as tough as Holaday...hard to replace experience no matter how talented the new guys are.

2. Losing Merck hurts. In talking to CJS, he said Merck had really turned the corner and was going to be a very good draft pick...oh, well...having him next year will be great too..especially on a young staff.

3. Injury....first three pitchers are good but it's a long fall to find an established pitcher...I guess Miller and Appleby could be called that to a point.

4. Catching...not so much worried about running game as much as just catching, receiving, blocking on a daily basis...Purke ain't easy to catch

5. Handling expectation....it would be nice if all of us fans would just relax and let this team develop...I want them to be number 1 on July 1 not now...

6. Fans gotta show up....it's great to hear that season tickets are hot but people need to show up daily...that kind of support is a huge thing for the players.

Can't wait to get out of this office and to Lupton on Feb. 18.

Frog79

This team has the talent to win a national championship but they will need to match the hunger that they had last year which will be hard to do after so much success. That's where team leadership comes in. Losing some valuable seniors plus Merck is bad but IMO losing the leadership of Bryan Holaday is even bigger for a team that has Omaha aspirations. Hopefully T-bird or someone else can keep a fire lit under the team.

FrogsMcGee

More bagpipes!
cowbell_skit_mmoo10.jpg

Well first we have to get into a BCS conference...oh wait, that's just for football.

Isn't it strange that when TCU made it to the CWS last year that their "strength of schedule" or weak conference wasn't argued about over and over again?

Actually, strength of schedule kept us from getting a Super-Regional at TCU. But we weren't left out of the chance to get to the CWS altogether.