• The KillerFrogs

TickerTV News: Is TCU going to change their name?

If “Texas Disciple University“ and TDU, then the Horned Frogs could have been TouchDown U.

Good job by The Athletic, of all places, to write a good lengthy article in 2017 about the rebranding to TCU.
In spring 2013, an atheist and agnostic group, the “Freethinking Frogs,” applied to become an official on-campus student organization. TCU officially recognized the Freethinking Frogs, and the backlash was swift. “I thought TCU was a Christian-based university,” alumnus Larry Morton wrote to The TCU Magazine. “The second word in TCU is still ‘Christian’ I do believe. The sad truth is that most schools of higher learning have caved to the secular model of ‘fairness’ and ‘relativism.’ ”
….
A TCU spokesperson told the network that the university “should not be considered a solely Christian school,” and a TCU minister, Angela Kaufman, agreed, saying TCU should be seen as “a reflection of the larger society around us.” ….

“Most of those people (who were outraged) have probably never, ever, step foot on campus,” Lahutsky said. “But because the word ‘Christian’ is in our name, they feel invested in who we are and what we do. People imbued something to the place because of the word.”

To Lahutsky, the association based solely on the word “Christian” displays a fundamental misunderstanding of TCU’s history. Members of the Disciples of Christ had considered “Disciple” as a middle word in the school’s name, Lahutsky said. “If we had named this place Texas Disciple University, no one would care at all (about the university’s relationship with Christianity),” she added.

The Disciples of Christ, Lahutsky said, have always stood for “open-mindedness.”
….
“(The rebrand) represents part of a transition in American culture,” she said, because a lot of religious communities have lost the moral authority for one reason or another. This shift is bigger than a name change at TCU.

Added Kunkel: “Universities cutting some (religious) ties are basically them just updating their brand. (It’s) making their brand more acceptable to a 21st-century audience.”

Last edited:

Frogco2015

Likely fake but wouldn’t be shocked. Every time I get the alumni magazine, I see a lot about diversity equity and inclusion and nothing about improving actual academics. I’d be done with this school for good if this is real.

HFrog1999

Are you a "woke" person?

I’ve had my coffee this morning but I’m still sleepy.

I just asked a simple question.

I stopped financially supporting TCU when it became obvious that my sons would never be able to afford to attend.

I think Universities should provide the kind of ROI where their alumni should be able to afford to send their children.

TCU is ridiculously overpriced.

Rabidfrog

If “Texas Disciple University“ and TDU, then the Horned Frogs could have been TouchDown U.

Good job by The Athletic, of all places, to write a good lengthy article in 2017 about the rebranding to TCU.
In spring 2013, an atheist and agnostic group, the “Freethinking Frogs,” applied to become an official on-campus student organization. TCU officially recognized the Freethinking Frogs, and the backlash was swift. “I thought TCU was a Christian-based university,” alumnus Larry Morton wrote to The TCU Magazine. “The second word in TCU is still ‘Christian’ I do believe. The sad truth is that most schools of higher learning have caved to the secular model of ‘fairness’ and ‘relativism.’ ”
….
A TCU spokesperson told the network that the university “should not be considered a solely Christian school,” and a TCU minister, Angela Kaufman, agreed, saying TCU should be seen as “a reflection of the larger society around us.” ….

“Most of those people (who were outraged) have probably never, ever, step foot on campus,” Lahutsky said. “But because the word ‘Christian’ is in our name, they feel invested in who we are and what we do. People imbued something to the place because of the word.”

To Lahutsky, the association based solely on the word “Christian” displays a fundamental misunderstanding of TCU’s history. Members of the Disciples of Christ had considered “Disciple” as a middle word in the school’s name, Lahutsky said. “If we had named this place Texas Disciple University, no one would care at all (about the university’s relationship with Christianity),” she added.

The Disciples of Christ, Lahutsky said, have always stood for “open-mindedness.”
….
“(The rebrand) represents part of a transition in American culture,” she said, because a lot of religious communities have lost the moral authority for one reason or another. This shift is bigger than a name change at TCU.

Added Kunkel: “Universities cutting some (religious) ties are basically them just updating their brand. (It’s) making their brand more acceptable to a 21st-century audience.”
AS an alum and a retired DoC minister I'd be more comfortable with a free thinking club than one that advocated genocide

bp4tcu

If the term Christian is offensive to you then apply or teach else where.

We’ve already dropped it from the athletics side of things, wouldn’t surprise me one bit if we bend the knee to the fragile of this country and drop it all together.

Absolutely pathetic it’s even being considered.