• The KillerFrogs

TickerTV News: Is TCU going to change their name?

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I'm a little surprised that anyone would take this seriously.

The website is a clumsy WordPress site with a lot of fake names and stories.

The address in Birmingham is a shared workspace that offers a "virtual address."

You've been spoofed.
Indeed. Yet, the content was believable enough, due to the sad times in which we live and the linguine-spined people who are responsible for our Institutions that just can't wait to virtue signal and preen in the attention they receive afters.

That they may have irrevocably harmed their charge is unimportant.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

The address in Birmingham is a shared workspace that offers a "virtual address."

You've been spoofed.
I know it is fake, my thing is this seems beyond just an AI-generated story and an intentional effort at fake news that can be damaging to an institution or company. I would like to see actions taken to try and reign this in and make people running these sites think twice.

Limey Frog

You've been spoofed.
Yes, but it's an easy opportunity to take some cheap shots at the tom-foolery of higher ed governance, and we're not as busy with pre-bowl tactical chatter as we were this time last year.

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
Don't more than half of our students now come from out of state? It seems a bit offensive to call the institution "Texas" etc. etc. Perhaps we need more geographically inclusive nomenclature?

Obviously for athletics we need to keep the acronym. Tarrant County University isn't religiously incendiary, but that's even more geographically specific. What to do? Some suggestions:

Tender Care University
Topical Content University
Togetherness Camp University
Tolerance Cult University
Topless Coed University works for me.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
I know it is fake, my thing is this seems beyond just an AI-generated story and an intentional effort at fake news that can be damaging to an institution or company. I would like to see actions taken to try and reign this in and make people running these sites think twice.
They're doing that to get the exact reaction we are giving them here in this thread.

"Don't engage" is the new mantra for obviously baiting, fake news crap. Even the engagement of sharing the article is part of the grift.

Dogfrog

You've been spoofed.
Interesting. WaPo, NYT, et al seem just as clumsy these days, mostly through omission.

Endless Purple

The really sad part of this is how bad media has gotten in general. Now the masses will take almost anything as truth since few actually fact check. They expect the "author" of the article to have done that. Most of the population will not necessarily know to check for AI generated articles . Just like all the stupid ads :Did you know this little trick on Texas Car insurance" people still click otherwise they would go away instead of dominate websites.

froginaustin

Curious for forum use or other use.

If AI creates an article and there is no real author to hold copyright, can you just repost the entire article?
More importantly, if AI posts a libelous article that causes damages, how does someone recoup those damages?
Someone pushed the button to start the AI program.

Someone posted it; or re-posted it.

Most interesting-- someone hosted it.

Brave New World.

namollec

I entered TCU without any real "hard think" about the "C". But I was really glad that I witnessed all that the "C" can mean once I got there. Yes, it changed my life for the better.

I imagine that many choose TCU for all sorts of reasons outside of the "C" just like I did. Isn't it a matter of buyer beware that can certainly be buyer enjoy?

Chongo94

You've been spoofed.
You haven’t been on here long enough yet to see what some on here actually do take seriously…

TCUdirtbag

There is no limit to the level of dumb that Boomers will see on the Internet and believe so long as it fits into their ridiculous victim narrative.

Here, we have an obviously fake, bad Wordpress site sharing made up [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ].

Anecdotal reality check: TCU opens its Commencement ceremonies with a “Call to Worship”, singing of Praise Be To God The Almighty, and an Invocation. So, as ever for at least the past few generations, the University is not per-se Christian in its governance, and it is indeed open and inclusive of persons of all/no faith traditions. But Protestant Christianity is very much part of the tradition and culture of TCU, as evident to anyone taking a moment to observe or think critically.

No one of influence wants or is trying to change TCU’s name.