• The KillerFrogs

Things I Miss

Toad Jones

Kern Tips...to me, he was Mister Southwest Conference Football. IMO, no one before or since could rival his play-by-play. If he had read the Fort Worth Yellow Pages it would have been great entertainment.
I left my script for the half time show in the AB's desk. He had just finished an on air interview with the Austin station. He asked a couple of questions of me and before long he said, I'd better get going, my wife is downstairs waiting for me. I always appreciated his consideration and remembered that the rest of my ventures. All great announcers are Fantastic story TELLERS. They know how to put the drama into words so you see right along with him.

OmniscienceFrog

Colonial Cafeteria, Kips Big Boy Hot Fudge Sundaes, paying half price for meal tickets from the sorority girls watching their weight, Killer's teams, Billy's teams, 7th Street movie theaters, Kincaids, Public School Gym's holiday basketball tourney, Z Boaz sundown golf, RD Evans Rec Center, Italian Inn, old Eidelweiss restaurant, my old Cutlass Supreme, Mickey McCarty and on and on and on...
Ahhhh, Cutlass Supreme's. Had two of them. A '74 and a '78 w/T-tops.

OmniscienceFrog

No, head north on Univ turn right on 8th toward town. Right there on the corner. Mom and Dad always stayed there. There is one with the same name in Denton . Something ...... House. Across the street north of Farrington Field was a strip of old buildings. On the west corner was a building about 20 feet wide, it was a popular radio station in Ft.. Call letters have left me for now but give me time to remember b/c I said them enough times'. Want to say KGEL. No that's not it either. With the doors closed to the studio, you could hear one of the black bands playing football at Farrington. They were sooo much fun to watch, No group of people could out prance them on the field. They were so good!! Those kids were so proud of their band. And their football team. The center used to stand up before snapping the ball , shout and point to a position player on the opposite team, We're coming right at you, did you hear me!? Just try and stop us. The other team usually did but he kept telling them anyway.
Clayton House. BTW 8th Ave and University don't intersect anywhere.
The Clayton House was behind the Kip's on University and the old Forest Park bowling alley. The Merrimac Restaurant was later in that area.

There was another bowling alley farther north on University, next to the strip of buildings you mentioned north of Farrington Field. Topsey's was next to that bowling alley, across the street to the north.

Last edited:
KZEW
Q102
KLOL
EVH
Neil Peart
Prince
Norm Macdonald
Mitch Hedberg
Mix tapes
Album covers with liner notes to learn about the artists
Buying baseball cards by the pack when it was only one brand (Topps)
Street football with neighborhood friends
Drinking water from the hose without any concern
Backyard baseball (except climbing the fence to retrieve the home runs)
The 1975-76 Big Red Machine
My 1977 Firebird with the KZEW sticker in the back window
TCU football games with my dad and my young kids when endzone family packs were super cheap
Prank calls
Ha! Q102 and KZEW were going to be my first two on the list, too!

crankuptheenolagay

I miss Ricks Locker Room hot steak sandwich! Although the Smokestack restaurant off I20 in Thurber has a decent replica. And Mary’s in Strawn has a Massey’s class chicken fried steak.

Froginbedford

No, head north on Univ turn right on 8th toward town. Right there on the corner. Mom and Dad always stayed there. There is one with the same name in Denton . Something ...... House. Across the street north of Farrington Field was a strip of old buildings. On the west corner was a building about 20 feet wide, it was a popular radio station in Ft.. Call letters have left me for now but give me time to remember b/c I said them enough times'. Want to say KGEL. No that's not it either. With the doors closed to the studio, you could hear one of the black bands playing football at Farrington. They were sooo much fun to watch, No group of people could out prance them on the field. They were so good!! Those kids were so proud of their band. And their football team. The center used to stand up before snapping the ball , shout and point to a position player on the opposite team, We're coming right at you, did you hear me!? Just try and stop us. The other team usually did but he kept telling them anyway.
KXOL...1360....
Band was probably I.M. Terrell High School...several alumni who became professionally known...right now the only name that comes to mind is Ornette Coleman....

CryptoMiner

Abermathy’s. Had many a crazy night there.

Sandage before they turned it all into those dorms.

Jon’s Grille. Something about their swiss cheese.

The ol’ Burgers and Chinese Food stand.

The Pit in the student center.

Jon Bonnell is bringing back Jon's Grille. Location will be around the corner on Berry and have the original menu.

CryptoMiner

KZEW
Q102
KLOL
EVH
Neil Peart
Prince
Norm Macdonald
Mitch Hedberg
Mix tapes
Album covers with liner notes to learn about the artists
Buying baseball cards by the pack when it was only one brand (Topps)
Street football with neighborhood friends
Drinking water from the hose without any concern
Backyard baseball (except climbing the fence to retrieve the home runs)
The 1975-76 Big Red Machine
My 1977 Firebird with the KZEW sticker in the back window
TCU football games with my dad and my young kids when endzone family packs were super cheap
Prank calls

KNUS the original from 1969 to about 1973.

Toad Jones

I left my script for the half time show in the AB's desk. He had just finished an on air interview with the Austin station. He asked a couple of questions of me and before long he said, I'd better get going, my wife is downstairs waiting for me. I always appreciated his consideration and remembered that the rest of my ventures. All great announcers are Fantastic story TELLERS. They know how to put the drama into words so you see right along with him.

Ha! Q102 and KZEW were going to be my first two on the list, too!
KXOL

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Samesies.
56094fd79dd7cc17008bd71c
You kind of lose the whole covert/money saving aspect doing it this way…

Last edited: