• The KillerFrogs

the university of Texas versus Washington

westoverhillbilly

Toad Jones may have gotten a point of potential clarity amidst all of his perhaps alcohol induced verbage. The future of the SEC looks unbeatable and unassailable at this point, but over not too much time someone or a few someones that are very rich will tire on being mediocre as often or more as not. That could include UT, OU, USC, UCLA or not inconceivably some SEC legacies. Not Arkansas though, they get a woodie by getting slapped around with their fellow rednecks.

Toad Jones

Toad Jones may have gotten a point of potential clarity amidst all of his perhaps alcohol induced verbage. The future of the SEC looks unbeatable and unassailable at this point, but over not too much time someone or a few someones that are very rich will tire on being mediocre as often or more as not. That could include UT, OU, USC, UCLA or not inconceivably some SEC legacies. Not Arkansas though, they get a woodie by getting slapped around with their fellow rednecks.
Slowly, the schools have realized how ridiculous it is to play (on reg bases) schools on the West Coast when your school resides in the southeast of Florida. Especially when you consider Basketball for men and women, soccer, and so forth. The new system will be refined. WOHBill indicated legacies are going to be the most important key to regional conferences to attract interest and regional viewers. The money will follow in those circumstances. I include Arkansas for a few reasons, one being, the number of Texas kids that go to Arkansas because of tuition costs and because it's a good school.

And no, I drink mostly sweet tea and coffee so, I wasn't in some drunken corner when I wrote the post.

Last edited:

froginmn

I can't believe how cheap tickets are to this game. Less than face value for what we payed in Glendale last year.
Wow. I paid a fortune for pretty good seats last year; for that price I could almost pick my seat for this game.

The Rose, on the other hand... I'm guessing there are UM fans who, despite the last couple years, still have pent up demand to see a winner. There are obviously a lot of UM alums too. Makes me want to see Bama win...

westoverhillbilly

Slowly, the schools have realized how ridiculous it is to play (on reg bases) schools on the West Coast when your school resides in the southeast of Florida. Especially when you consider Basketball for men and women, soccer, and so forth. The new system will be refined. WOHBill indicated legacies are going to be the most important key to regional conferences to attract interest and regional viewers. The money will follow in those circumstances. I include Arkansas for a few reasons, one being, the number of Texas kids that go to Arkansas because of tuition costs and because it's a good school.

And no, I drink mostly sweet tea and coffee so, I wasn't in some drunken corner when I wrote the post.
I apologize for my assumption.. I see your points but disagree on Arkansas being a good school- we had one child go there and another to TCU simultaneously. TCU is far, far superior by every conceivable measure starting with the kids who attend. Arkansas does get some bright Texas kids who are just outside of the top 10% in class standing, and it is a beautiful environment up in the Ozark hills. But I'm being very kind when I say the university itself is at best mediocre.

Chongo94

I apologize for my assumption.. I see your points but disagree on Arkansas being a good school- we had one child go there and another to TCU simultaneously. TCU is far, far superior by every conceivable measure starting with the kids who attend. Arkansas does get some bright Texas kids who are just outside of the top 10% in class standing, and it is a beautiful environment up in the Ozark hills. But I'm being very kind when I say the university itself is at best mediocre.
Not anymore. They are aggressively pursuing top 10% kids. What’s more, if you score high enough on the SAT and ACT, or depending on the gpa (can’t totally remember), you get offered in-state tuition. They are actively changing the perception of them as an academic institution, particularly among the younger generations.

westoverhillbilly

Not anymore. They are aggressively pursuing top 10% kids. What’s more, if you score high enough on the SAT and ACT, or depending on the gpa (can’t totally remember), you get offered in-state tuition. They are actively changing the perception of them as an academic institution, particularly among the younger generations.
Chongo, I'm sorry but after sending a kid there until 7 years ago, I'm just quite unimpressed. Arky is currently ranked 178 out of 439, which for a state's combined flagship and land grant university is not particularly achieving. Arkansas is a backwater state and doesn't excel at much including education.

Chongo94

Chongo, I'm sorry but after sending a kid there until 7 years ago, I'm just quite unimpressed. Arky is currently ranked 178 out of 439, which for a state's combined flagship and land grant university is not particularly achieving. Arkansas is a backwater state and doesn't excel at much including education.
That was 7 years ago. That’s nearly two full graduation cycles. Trust me, things are changing. And you can’t go by university rankings, those are probably less meaningful than even Top 25 polls.

I can only attest to what I’ve seen firsthand in the academic world among educators and the younger generations of upcoming college students.

Now, is Arkansas about to become some sort of Ivy League institution, not even close. But they are aggressively attempting to change the perception about them and their student body is far more intellectually stronger than what is was just a few years ago and than some of the larger state schools here in Texas.

I once thought the same thing but I’ve been blown away by how they’ve managed to start appealing to very strong students here in Texas. It’s pretty eye-opening.

westoverhillbilly

That was 7 years ago. That’s nearly two full graduation cycles. Trust me, things are changing. And you can’t go by university rankings, those are probably less meaningful than even Top 25 polls.

I can only attest to what I’ve seen firsthand in the academic world among educators and the younger generations of upcoming college students.

Now, is Arkansas about to become some sort of Ivy League institution, not even close. But they are aggressively attempting to change the perception about them and their student body is far more intellectually stronger than what is was just a few years ago and than some of the larger state schools here in Texas.

I once thought the same thing but I’ve been blown away by how they’ve managed to start appealing to very strong students here in Texas. It’s pretty eye-opening.
Ok, I’ll take your word for it. NW Arkansas has a dynamic business community that is supportive of the University, so it’s possible.

Chongo94

Ok, I’ll take your word for it. NW Arkansas has a dynamic business community that is supportive of the University, so it’s possible.
Yes, I believe that has made an impact as well. Don’t get me wrong, it still kind of hurts my brain to view it all this way, but it’s because they’re really trying to combat the old image of them and they seem to be doing very well in that endeavor.

Toad Jones

Washington had them in the early fourth, then farted away some opportunities to increase the points. Surveying the sports talk, surprised by the number of people who wanted Texas to go down and wanted Washington to beat Michigan. That QB at Washington, I'd recruit him to TCU in a Nano second!

Toad Jones

What surprises me is the number of Texans who are buying property in NW Arkansas and northeast Oklahoma. Tried hard to persuade some friends to look at the area south of Stephenville and west of Comanche toward Brady. But the cost moved them into Arkansas. Many people think of the hill country as being around Austin, San Antone, and Fredericksburg. In my mind, the hill country starts immediately south of Stephenville. If you look at a Topol map, it clearly says that too. Some really beautiful country south and east of Comanche, slightly moving west a bit and south. Understand that the second TV series 1883 was mostly shot at Granfils-Gap.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
What surprises me is the number of Texans who are buying property in NW Arkansas and northeast Oklahoma. Tried hard to persuade some friends to look at the area south of Stephenville and west of Comanche toward Brady. But the cost moved them into Arkansas. Many people think of the hill country as being around Austin, San Antone, and Fredericksburg. In my mind, the hill country starts immediately south of Stephenville. If you look at a Topol map, it clearly says that too. Some really beautiful country south and east of Comanche, slightly moving west a bit and south. Understand that the second TV series 1883 was mostly shot at Granfils-Gap.
The Hill Country extends north of Stephenville into Palo Pinto County up to and including Possum Kingdom Lake.