• The KillerFrogs

The Spun: Former TCU Coach Gary Patterson Makes His Intentions About Coaching Clear

Bronco Mendenhall is 57 and I thought he would get a bigger job than New Mexico. His record is pretty good. Virginia is a relatively small, academically elite university and I read it had the worst football facilities in the ACC. Maybe his devout Mormonism does not help landing a job.

Last edited:

frogetaboutit

Maybe his devout Mormonism does not help landing a job.
This is a weird flex. I’d at least consider having him at TCU on the defensive side of the ball in some capacity if that move was ever in play.

And maybe I missed it but in the modern era I never heard anyone have trouble landing a coaching gig because they were Jewish, a devout Catholic, Muslim or a professed atheist. Just because you have whatever issues you have with other people’s beliefs doesn’t mean everyone else has the same hang-ups.

Oh, and full disclosure - not Mormon.

This is a weird flex. I’d at least consider having him at TCU on the defensive side of the ball in some capacity if that move was ever in play.

And maybe I missed it but in the modern era I never heard anyone have trouble landing a coaching gig because they were Jewish, a devout Catholic, Muslim or a professed atheist. Just because you have whatever issues you have with other people’s beliefs doesn’t mean everyone else has the same hang-ups.

Oh, and full disclosure - not Mormon.
“Weird flex” - I hate trendy terms. My “issues” and “hang-ups” - please do not project/speculate about me, and scorn me - do you see that you just made this your angry “weird flex,” jeepers.

I have nothing against Mormonism - I know little about it. Maybe you have read derogatory comments about Mormonism by others here and are projecting on me.

I was complimenting Mendenhall, saying I thought his record might get him a job at a more prominent football university; I then kiddingly speculated, foolishing obviously, because it was misinterpreted and offended you, oh my. Maybe you should read my post again, with that in mind.

If your day made you angry/grumpy, maybe then don’t get on social media.

Last edited:

NewFrogFan

Woof. Catching up on this thread. There are “fans” who actually question why any program would hire Aranda as a DC if he became available? Probably one of the best DC’s in the country before he went to Baylor, but “so what?” Right?
Like he was DC on LSU 2019 NC.

frogetaboutit

“Weird flex” - I hate trendy terms. My “issues” and “hang-ups” - please do not project/speculate about me, and scorn me - do you see that you just made this your angry “weird flex,” jeepers.

I have nothing against Mormonism - I know little about it. Maybe you have read derogatory comments about Mormonism by others here and are projecting on me.

I was complimenting Mendenhall, saying I thought his record might get him a job at a more prominent football university; I then kiddingly speculated, foolishing obviously, because it was misinterpreted and offended you, oh my. Maybe you should read my post again, with that in mind.

If your day made you angry/grumpy, maybe then don’t get on social media.
Wow. Didn’t really ask for clarification - just quoted your EXACT comment and replied. Will leave it at that.

Toad Jones

TCU was on the decline the last few years, and I'm wondering if we're faced with the continuation under Dykes. My leash on Dyke's is six games next season.
Most anxious to see his moves in the coming weeks! It will tell us a lot! Some folks say he is a good CEO. So far, I've not observed any of those talents. However, to be fair, maybe TCU kept him from showing those talents with strict parameters. We'll see, won't we?

JugbandFrog

TCU was on the decline the last few years, and I'm wondering if we're faced with the continuation under Dykes. My leash on Dyke's is six games next season.
Most anxious to see his moves in the coming weeks! It will tell us a lot! Some folks say he is a good CEO. So far, I've not observed any of those talents. However, to be fair, maybe TCU kept him from showing those talents with strict parameters. We'll see, won't we?
Patterson's leadership was on the decline. His staff's ability to find, recruit, and develop talent was strong. Patterson failed in adapting his scheme, coaching his coaches to put those players in the best possible position for success.

Dykes was supposed to be the guy that would coach his coaches to change that, as evidenced by last year's success, but it is evident now, that Dykes is not that coach of coaches, and inherited a perfect storm. The lack of growth in the way our OC, DC, and ST coaches throughout the year is evidence that Dykes has no clue what is going on. We will continue to decline now that we don't have the same eye for talent and continue to struggle with putting our players in the best position to be successful.

Wexahu

Patterson's leadership was on the decline. His staff's ability to find, recruit, and develop talent was strong. Patterson failed in adapting his scheme, coaching his coaches to put those players in the best possible position for success.

Dykes was supposed to be the guy that would coach his coaches to change that, as evidenced by last year's success, but it is evident now, that Dykes is not that coach of coaches, and inherited a perfect storm. The lack of growth in the way our OC, DC, and ST coaches throughout the year is evidence that Dykes has no clue what is going on. We will continue to decline now that we don't have the same eye for talent and continue to struggle with putting our players in the best position to be successful.
You ought to drop by his offense and give him some pointers then.

The guy has been coaching at the major college level for over 20 years, has done pretty well for the most part (that's, after all, why he keeps getting new, better jobs), took a team last year farther than they've been in 80+ years, and after a bad season some internet guy who has probably not coached a game of football in his life claims "he has no clue what is going on."

Amazing.

Limey Frog

I don't know that one year makes this clear, but it maybe makes it as likely as the former. Maybe Dykes in inherited all the ingredients for a ready-made one-year miracle then showed his real potential the year after, maybe he engineered that miracle then had an understandable drop-off that got worse than expected due to marginal errors. Next year will tell us a lot. I have absolutely no idea which of the two it is, or any particular faith that it is the former.

You ought to drop by his offense and give him some pointers then.

The guy has been coaching at the major college level for over 20 years, has done pretty well for the most part (that's, after all, why he keeps getting new, better jobs), took a team last year farther than they've been in 80+ years, and after a bad season some internet guy who has probably not coached a game of football in his life claims "he has no clue what is going on."

Amazing.
I get your point, but are we Cal 2.0? I believe that is his only other gig as a P5 coach. All of his success has been at G6 schools where the competition is not quite as tough. But in his defense, a lot of good coaches have made the jump. I am just worried about his prior lack of success at Cal and his apparent decision to retain the current DC.

Wexahu

I get your point, but are we Cal 2.0? I believe that is his only other gig as a P5 coach. All of his success has been at G6 schools where the competition is not quite as tough. But in his defense, a lot of good coaches have made the jump. I am just worried about his prior lack of success at Cal and his apparent decision to retain the current DC.
I have no freaking idea. He's been here two years. One was amazing, the other was not good. We'll see what we are going forward. I don't think the landscape is going to get easier in the player acquisition/retention department though, that is going to be a more difficult battle than it was the last decade just because of money and the B12 perception.

Maybe they sat down and analyzed everything after the season and thought, you know what, we could change DCs but I'm not sure that's going to accomplish much, we've got some major personnel issues on that side of the ball that need to be fixed. Or there was some other issues in play that had little to nothing to do with the DC. I don't know. SD has been doing this a long time, I'm sure he feels some pressure. If the decision is to keep the DC, that's what it is and it either works or it doesn't, I'm not going to come on here and act like the whole program is a joke because we aren't firing him. The fact that JG is apparently on some other school's wish list would seem to indicate that he isn't some sort of buffoon who has no idea what he is doing. And there were 5-6 league teams who gave up more yards per play than we did, so it can always get worse.