• The KillerFrogs

The Spun: Former TCU Coach Gary Patterson Makes His Intentions About Coaching Clear

Wexahu

AWHCGMFP will be a powerful force where ever he goes. With his experience as a winner and as a builder of a program, plus his new gained knowledge of the portal and NIL, helped by his time away from the grind, AWHCGMFP will be a big step up for any university lucky enough to snag him. If you don’t believe that is true, just hide in the bushes and watch…
I'll be watching, LOL. Seeing GP navigate the press at a big pressure-cooker university would be entertaining.

Some of you must have been in hibernation from 2018-2021. What short memories you have.

tmcats

would like to see gary back in the game. waco makes a lot of sense were it not for pride. that baylor team is the worst k-state faced this year.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
He is a fool if he picks up the whistle again.

I do not believe the game has "passed him by" but I do believe that the things around the game, the kids, NIL, social media, all of it has gotten horribly worse of late, and a disciplinarian hardass will not fly any more. Gary is still Gary, and he will flame right out at a dump like A$M. He'll walk away rich as hell, but he won't last two years.

tmcats

Kind of a random thought here, but if GP does get into coaching again at the P5 level, I’d like to see him take over for Ferentz at Iowa. Seems like that would be about as good a fit for him as you could find. Unless Klieman takes another job, then obviously KState would be a good fit.
gary was set to come to manhattan after bill's first retirement. but administration couldn't keep their mouth shut. well, y'all know that story better than me.

Rifframbahzoo20

How quickly some forget Gary's last 3-4 years at TCU, especially the last year when his team quit on him against K.State in Manhattan. I was at that game and witnessed it first hand.
Sonnys team quit on him this year against K state (laughing on the sidelines the entire game). So what’s the difference? Does sonny get a longer leash than the guy that built our program from the ground up?

tetonfrog

I wish GP well, but his recruiting the last several years here was a joke. His poor recruiting in the OL and DL are holding us back now. He will always love to coach, but I bet he would rather play guitar than spend hours every day texting and calling recruits.

His piss poor recruiting was the reason he got fired here. Why would that change now at a new school? And when he says that he has a coaching staff lined up, does that mean that Kenny Hill is his OC or J. Anderson is his OL coach? Any AD worth a spit would throw away his resume once he named those names.

Yeah, I miss GP - the 2009-2015 GP that was hungry to win and put a [ Finebaum ] ton of energy into recruiting and developing his players, I sure don't miss the crazy GP of his last four years where every loss was someone else's fault and every win was because of him.

Horny4TCU

I'll be watching, LOL. Seeing GP navigate the press at a big pressure-cooker university would be entertaining.

Some of you must have been in hibernation from 2018-2021. What short memories you have.
I haven't forgotten those years. If he truly has taken this time to grow and learn, how exciting would a refreshed, giving a [ Finebaum ]e, LHCGMFP would be? I would absolutely love to see him here with a new staff that knows what they're doing and held accountable. But if that isn't case, Arky or Aggie can have him.

Planks

Sonnys team quit on him this year against K state (laughing on the sidelines the entire game). So what’s the difference? Does sonny get a longer leash than the guy that built our program from the ground up?

Obviously Sonny should not get a longer leash than GP. But he should get some leash. GP was given four bad seasons in a row before being fired. Sonny is on one bad season right now.

It’s also different in that every single player on GP’s teams were evaluated, recruited, and developed by GP and his staff. So it’s easy to assign GP and his staff 100% of the blame for any bad seasons.

We have a different situation right now with Sonny, There is only one full recruiting class on this team right now that was recruited by Sonny. The 2023 class, who are the true freshman right now and too young to contribute. So I think it becomes hard to blame Sonny and his staff for 100% of the poor results we are getting, as some of the personnel problems we are seeing this season are actually attributable to the failings of the previous staff. Such as the O line and D line.

Sonny should at least get a chance to evaluate, recruit, build a team full of his players. If we are still having bad seasons after that, then it becomes an easy decision to fire him, as there can be no excuses at that point.

bbell

Call me crazy, but I always held on to the fantasy that GP would in some way be the coach to bring TCU it’s first National Championship in the modern era. We came close a couple of times under his watch.