• The KillerFrogs

The Spun: Former TCU Coach Gary Patterson Makes His Intentions About Coaching Clear

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

Former TCU Coach Gary Patterson Makes His Intentions About Coaching Clear​

Story by Kevin Parrish Jr.

Gary Patterson spent two decades as TCU head coach before leaving the college football program in 2021.

While appearing on ESPN Central Texas on Tuesday, Patterson answered whether he's ready to start coaching again.

"Gary Patterson is ready to be a head coach again. "I still have a lot of ballgames left in me," he told "The Matt Mosley Show."

Read more at https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...s-intentions-about-coaching-clear/ar-AA1jWd5Q

podserve.fm/episodes/121030/gary-patterson-11-14-2023.mp3
Patterson said—

He took great notes at Texas and it was fun to see how they do things with a much larger staff than 30. With Sark’s experience with Saban and the NFL and the other coaches and all the places they have been, he went down there because he wanted to learn in addition to give. There were some things there that he felt would make him a better coach - from X’s and O’s to recruiting, portal, NIL and the offseason.

He watches college football all day Saturday and the NFL all day Sunday to view new things that good coaches are doing.

I have been more like a student. Want to know what the new things that people are doing on both sides of the ball. Been talking to coaches about what their thoughts are, about putting together a staff, your personnel wherever you go, the kind of offense you need to be successful; who the best up and coming star coaches are that nobody knows about in Division 1 and Division 2.

He is rested and the key is to find the right place, you have to be all together at the top. He wants a situation where he can have chance to make the playoff and win a national championship. He knows how to win and do more with less and he knows he still has the energy to work 80-90 hours a week and has a lot of football games left in him.

He and Kelsey will always have their home in Fort Worth and in the end that is where they will end up, where their Foundation is, but if he finds the right opportunity, he and Kelsey are ready to go.

Last edited:

Big Frog II

He doesn't need money. I think he would make a great high school coach. His wife does a lot for FWISD elementary schools. Maybe he could coach high school ball. Lord knows they need they help.

Limey Frog

Give Sonny and Tape Fingers to A&M and give us GP back.
I wish he was still our head coach; I never wanted him to go. But it was also clear (and had been for years) that his staff was inadequate and he would choose loyalty to them over success for the program. If that was the choice, the program is greater than the man, even if that is because of the man. He built TCU football into something that is bigger than his stubborn loyalty cronyism.

All that said, (and I know this isn't a realistic possibility) I'd have him back as HC now if I thought he would actually hire the best assistants and let them do their jobs.

Now, I'd love to see him as defensive coordinator at TCU if Sonny had some kind of "CGP mute" device that couldn't be overridden. That would be terrific.

Last edited:

Rifframbahzoo20

Former TCU Coach Gary Patterson Makes His Intentions About Coaching Clear​

Story by Kevin Parrish Jr.

Gary Patterson spent two decades as TCU head coach before leaving the college football program in 2021.

While appearing on ESPN Central Texas on Tuesday, Patterson answered whether he's ready to start coaching again.

"Gary Patterson is ready to be a head coach again. "I still have a lot of ballgames left in me," he told "The Matt Mosley Show."

Read more at https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...s-intentions-about-coaching-clear/ar-AA1jWd5Q

I know aggy would never hire him but as a rabid aggy hater I sure would be conflicted if he somehow became their coach.