• The KillerFrogs

The new Texas A&M coach is….

froginaustin

I don’t know what you mean by “profile of the job,” but the question was about the “best” job. Past success by different coaches using different players, playing a different game in different times under different rules against different opponents in a different conference has no bearing on how successful a program can be going forward for a new coach (except to the extent it affects those other factors I mentioned earlier, in which A&M ranks in the top 10 easily). It’s the very reason Jimbo left a school that had 2 nattys in the previous 15 years for A&M.
Jimbo left as because his shine wore off without a heisman QB and he had a losing record his last year at FSU

At and immediately before Jimbo bugged out of Florida State, I remember hearing (in the rumor mongering media or 4th hand from some FSU-fan acquaintance, I don't remember which) that some big-cigar FSU boosters were heating up tar and plucking chickens to give Jimbo a proper rail-ride out of Tallahassee. It was at or very near the end of his contract.

Jimbo was pretty near joining Bobby Bowden in the broadcast booth (not that there's anything wrong with that) if my information was correct. Then A'nM swooped in, and rescued him.

Boomhauer

I can't believe you have me defending Aggie of all things, but that's an odd thing to nitpick.

This started with you saying it's tough to argue that Aggie isn't a top ten job (and emphasizing the fact that they haven't won a title for a long time), but what are the ten jobs that make it "tough to argue"?

I’d probably go:

Tier 1 (top 10)
Alabama
tOSU
Michigan
Georgia
Texas
LSU
Oklahoma
USC
Florida
Notre Dame

Tier 2
Florida State
Clemson
Tennessee
Penn State
A&M
Auburn
Oregon
Miami

I’m probably missing a school somewhere in here

Planks

I’d probably go:

Tier 1 (top 10)
Alabama
tOSU
Michigan
Georgia
Texas
LSU
Oklahoma
USC
Florida
Notre Dame

Tier 2
Florida State
Clemson
Tennessee
Penn State
A&M
Auburn
Oregon
Miami

I might drop Oklahoma from that top 10. Storied program for sure, but if I was a coach I’d be weary of them, just because they are in a location without a lot of in-state talent.

I think with Oklahoma there will always be a risk of becoming to the SEC what Nebraska is to the BIG.

froginmn

I’d probably go:

Tier 1 (top 10)
Alabama
tOSU
Michigan
Georgia
Texas
LSU
Oklahoma
USC
Florida
Notre Dame

Tier 2
Florida State
Clemson
Tennessee
Penn State
A&M
Auburn
Oregon
Miami

I think there's plenty of room to make a reasonable argument that the A&M job is better than OU, USC, Notre Dame, LSU. USC is in a crap neighborhood and just lost most of its reasonably close opponents, now having to fly across the country for most away games.

My main point is that if isn't tough to argue...

tmcats

1. uga - recent success, recruiting hotbed, passionate fanbase
2. texas - endless resources, see uga
3. alabama - tradition, see uga
4. lsu - just another sec juggernaut with all the trappings
5. ohio state - dominate midwest
6. usc - dominate the west
7. michigan - if not for ohio state
8. notre dame - tradition under siege by reality
9. oregon - late bloomer with daddy's deep pockets
10. clemson - championships count

another five in no particular order: fsu, florida, oklahoma, penn state, washington

has beens: nebraska, ucla, aTm

wannabees: tcu, k-state, missouri, utah, wisconsin

Last edited:

Planks

So, try to mentally go back two years and imagine me saying this to you:

We've just fired GMFP and at the end of November we'll announce the hiring of Sonny Dykes. In 2022 we'll go to the CFP, win a semi and lose the CG. In November 2023 Aggy will fire Jimbo and CSD's name will be floated. A good number of our fans will say, "take him if you want him".

Wow.

I think for some fans, the fact that we went to the NC last season is actually a point against Sonny.

Had we gone 7-5 or something in 2022, I think fans would feel this program is in rebuilding mode and fans might be more forgiving. There would still be disappointment with a losing record in 2023, but after four years of mediocrity under GP, there might be some understanding that it’s going to take a few years for Sonny to rebuild the roster into something that can be competitive.

However, since we went to the NC in 2022, fans now feel this is a roster that should be winning now, not rebuilding. GP left Sonny a roster capable of making the NC, and Sonny has squandered it all away in just two seasons.

Planks

1. uga - recent success, recruiting hotbed, passionate fanbase
2. texas - endless resources, see uga
3. alabama - tradition, see uga
4. lsu - just another sec juggernaut with all the trappings
5. ohio state - dominate midwest
6. usc - dominate the west
7. michigan - if not for ohio state
8. notre dame - tradition under siege by reality
9. oregon - late bloomer with daddy's deep pockets
10. clemson - championships count

another five in no particular order: fsu, florida, oklahoma, penn state, washington

goner: nebraska

Pretty good list, though I think I’d have LSU number 1. Only P5 school in a talent rich state. Three coaches in a row have won national championships at LSU, and the last two (Miles and Orgeron) weren’t even good coaches.

Being coach at LSU means you are winning a national championship at some point.

Frog-in-law1995

I can't believe these fools are even thinking about Dabo. Please, Lord, let them hire Dabo, it would just be Jimbo all over again.
There’s really nobody out there that jumps off the page. Klieman’s probably the best they could hope for, but I don’t think he’d leave KState for them. I still think Kliffy with Aranda as DC would be intriguing.

An-Cap Frog

This would be mine as well.

Penn State and Tennessee are a couple more that I think are really close.
Drew Allar was the #1 QB in the 2022 class. The 3rd or 4th overall rated recruit. Does his lack of success against OSU and Michigan prove that PSU is not a top 10 program? I mean they are clearly not 1 or 2 in the Big 10, now add USC, Oregon, etc. next year.

Wexahu

Drew Allar was the #1 QB in the 2022 class. The 3rd or 4th overall rated recruit. Does his lack of success against OSU and Michigan prove that PSU is not a top 10 program? I mean they are clearly not 1 or 2 in the Big 10, now add USC, Oregon, etc. next year.
I never said they were a top 10 program. I think they are just outside the top 10, and I’d definitely put the PSU job ahead of the Oregon job. Oregon being what they are is basically because of Phil Knight. Who knows what that program will be when he passes, they really don’t have a whole lot else going for them.

I think the top 10-12 jobs in the country will all be in the SEC and Big 10 so being 5th or 6th in those leagues is not bad.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I never said they were a top 10 program. I think they are just outside the top 10, and I’d definitely put the PSU job ahead of the Oregon job. Oregon being what they are is basically because of Phil Knight. Who knows what that program will be when he passes, they really don’t have a whole lot else going for them.

I think the top 10-12 jobs in the country will all be in the SEC and Big 10 so being 5th or 6th in those leagues is not bad.
Oregon was a perennial homecoming schedule filler until Knight started dumping truck loads of cash there.

An-Cap Frog

I kind of think there is a top 5-7 and then another grouping of 10-15 teams, but you are right that they are going to predominantly SEC and Big 10 schools.

Chongo94

There’s really nobody out there that jumps off the page. Klieman’s probably the best they could hope for, but I don’t think he’d leave KState for them. I still think Kliffy with Aranda as DC would be intriguing.
Kliff Kingsbury?…is that the Kliffy you’re referring to?