• The KillerFrogs

The Dawn of Shawn

puckster59

I think you have to temper your expectations in his first year as a starter. Someone mentioned Dalton and Boykin earlier in this thread ... they became excellent quarterbacks, but they, too, had learning curves.

Trying to project a QB from warm-ups is completely useless. Foster Sawyer looked awesome in warm-ups. Tyler Matthews looked really good in warm-ups.

Fortunately, we did get to see Shawn play and get a taste of what his talents are. The stats were not impressive but the game didn't look too big or too fast for him. I would have to think that he gets a lot more of the playbook next time instead of just a bunch of easy outside reads (although lower percentage passes) where the coach said the biggest goal for him was not hurt his confidence which I can understand on one level and on the other, looking at the way he competed, don't really see him as being that fragile.

I think he'll have plenty of fan support even if he makes a few mistakes here and there. Playing QB at this level is hard. They all make mistakes. It's when they make the same ones over and over and don't learn from them that fans get restless.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
As great as Boykin became just think had he had the right coaches and system early. Also the overall team was not as good in Boykin's first couple of years as it became his last two seasons once the adjustments and system and coaches got in place.

Just think SR is better overall at this point as Boykin at the same point, better coming out of high school with a championship, bigger, stronger, better arm. He also benefits from a better team overall and better coaching than Boykin had his first couple of years.

It is his team for now. Rogers will likely need much of this year to continue recovering and rehabbing.

I am pretty excited about what I think is coming.

FrogLifeYo

Again, don't disagree with the talent observation.

What's your rough prediction for him and the team next year then? You seem to think that he could possibly go pro his after his Junior year, so do you think he comes out of the gate leading us to double-digit wins/conference championship type of year, or does that come in his Junior/last (possibly) year? If that just comes in his last season there will be an argument for GOAT status at TCU.
We absolutely are gonna struggle out of the gate but I think SR raw skills give him a higher upside than KH. That's going to take time to realize. Maybe even a whole year. I trust Cumbie can develop him and I trust his raw talent. I certainly don't expect to win 11 but even very young at QB I think we are a bowl team. We have vastly increased the talent across the roster and our program is much better at reloading than it was when we entered the league.

MinFrog

I wish we had someone on here who was obsessed/tech savvy enough to create a video of just Shawn’s throws from last year.

Any idea of how to do something like that?

PO Frog

I mentioned that in another thread. Stanford's QB at times went under center and would just turn around and pitch the ball straight back to Love who waited for a split second looking for a seam or crease and then took off running downhill. Better looks for vision and more speed when you hit the line. Hopefully Sonny made a note of that scheme as Anderso/ Sewo would be great at it.
It's a play that shaw took from watching LSU. The design is that the QB makes the pitch and then "blocks" the backside end rusher to keep him from collapsing down immediately. This allows enough time for the back to pick the gap he wants and gives them an extra blocker play side.

Westsider

I’m on the JR bandwagon. I’m declaring now, bygod. Nothing against SR, but if JR doesn’t start from day one (red shirt speculation is a myth) I’ll be the most obnoxious #CarterDad18 in board history. This competition will be epic, with the potential of splitting this board irreparably and forever, and I want to be at the forefront. So no mealy mouth here. I’m choosing sides. JR it is.

Pharm Frog

I’m on the JR bandwagon. I’m declaring now, bygod. Nothing against SR, but if JR doesn’t start from day one (red shirt speculation is a myth) I’ll be the most obnoxious #CarterDad18 in board history. This competition will be epic, with the potential of splitting this board irreparably and forever, and I want to be at the forefront. So no mealy mouth here. I’m choosing sides. JR it is.

Hater

Pharm Frog

Lets 1st watch him start and play

I don't have to watch him play a single down to "hope" as was clearly stated. And my hope stands as written. I hope he is great enough to leave for the NFL draft as soon as he's eligible and then has a HOF career (as long as it's not with the Dallas Cowboys). I also hope that he obtains his degree in a field that greatly interests him. FWIW - That's pretty much my hope for every kid who decides to become a Frog football player. If the time comes to temper my hope, I will do so.

CountryFrog

It's a play that shaw took from watching LSU. The design is that the QB makes the pitch and then "blocks" the backside end rusher to keep him from collapsing down immediately. This allows enough time for the back to pick the gap he wants and gives them an extra blocker play side.
I ran that play in high school, except the way we did it, the QB wasn't sealing the backside; he was actually running through the hole as the lead blocker.

#realfootball

Last edited:

CountryFrog

Good for you. No one likes a waffler. I do love waffles, though.

Horny4TCU

We watched him start and play in Lubbock. He completed 35% of his passes for 85 yards and a lot of people creamed their pants because his incompletions "looked good."

Shawn has all the talent you could ask for but people need to make their expectations reasonable. I also think SR will be a great one, but he'll have some growing pains along the way. When he does, we'll see some "they should burn Rogers redshirt/put Rogers in!" posts. It's the nature of the beast with some football fans... the next QB up is always the greatest.
As long as the incompletions don't constantly look like interceptions, I'll be just fine.

McFroggin

Does Grayson Muehlstein ever get a look as the backup? I also wonder if the coaches would ever try to put the QB under center to try to help the RBs be able to hit the holes with speed. We seem to be at our best when we are running the ball consistently which is true with football in general.

No. The transfer is already ahead of Muehlstein.

smufrogger

I don't think these Frogs fell short so much as came deceptively close to heights they weren't really capable of by massively and impressively over-achieving. After last year, who'd have thought this much possible? It was an amazing run.
After watching the peach bowl and the Alamo bowl last night- I agree. This years team disnthave the talent anywhere near the 2014 team

4th. down

After watching the peach bowl and the Alamo bowl last night- I agree. This years team disnthave the talent anywhere near the 2014 team

I agree, and this team over achieved. The talent level for '14 and '15 was considerably above '17 but the Rose Bowl team also over achieved and that my fellow froggies is coaching. I will take right now a duplicate 11-3 for '18 but not for '19.

CountryFrog

JR had a horrendous injury for a dual-threat QB. Redshirt is almost guaranteed for his health/rehab. Probably needs at least 1 more year to get to NCAA speed after 1 year sitting and another of rehab.
I agree. I don't see how anyone can think Rogers will be able to be a contributor in 2018. He's not going to be able to practice in Spring and most likely won't be able to do a whole lot in summer either. For a freshman QB, that means redshirt. No matter how good he is.

He'll probably be a hell of a scout team QB, though. And that's definitely got some value.

TRF51

The way I see it and from what I have seen Shawn will start next year and will do very well, especially running the ball and keeping plays alive like Boykin use to do. JR is the more talented passer and probably will probably end up taking his spot and like someone else mentioned Shawn tends to get hurt so maybe that is how he takes over. It’s kinda sad because I think they both are better than anything we have ha

FROG PARENTS 1961

Trying to project a QB from warm-ups is completely useless. Foster Sawyer looked awesome in warm-ups. Tyler Matthews looked really good in warm-ups.

Fortunately, we did get to see Shawn play and get a taste of what his talents are. The stats were not impressive but the game didn't look too big or too fast for him. I would have to think that he gets a lot more of the playbook next time instead of just a bunch of easy outside reads (although lower percentage passes) where the coach said the biggest goal for him was not hurt his confidence which I can understand on one level and on the other, looking at the way he competed, don't really see him as being that fragile.

I think he'll have plenty of fan support even if he makes a few mistakes here and there. Playing QB at this level is hard. They all make mistakes. It's when they make the same ones over and over and don't learn from them that fans get restless.
I love our talented 2018 SO QB. He played very well in a high winds swirling around the field. Just needs to review his mistakes and learn. Texas player of the year Shawn Robinson will be the fav and the #2 in the nation Duel QB Justin Rogers (FR) will be right there with him for the starting QB spot. This is great news for every TCU fan

Latest posts