• The KillerFrogs

The D LIne is the REAL problem

Resipsa

The D-Line has something to do with it. There is no consistent pass rush. On a majority of the plays this past weekend, there was no push whatsoever. Unfortunately, our defense is just not very good this year.

An-Cap Frog

Interesting comments, but not sure you can point the finger at the DL so much. Last year SMU rushed for 192 yards against us and this year it was 112. Last year they threw for 169 yards and this year it was 349 yrds. Baylor last year rushed for 99 on 26 tries, this year 150 on 36 tries. However last year BU threw for 164 yards and this year 414.

Not sure your point is valid at all, and actually not at all. Even AF had substantially more yards passing this year than last: 167 vs 22.

The Frogs also were behind in two of the 2011 games by a big margin. The offensive play calling in the 4th quarter for Baylor and SMU reflect the that fact as the clock was against the Frogs. SMU had to have ran it on first down every time in the 4th quarter.

I checked and they were a perfect pass, run, pass, run, pass, run, pass, run, pass on first down. I sense a pattern here...

On 1st down, SMU was 16 RUN, 14 PASS in their play selection.

frogman

Was not Bralon Broughton a tranfer from another school.He has not done anything during his earlier years to mention,now that he is a senior and a starter, magnificent physical presence.yet very little footbal production.

Maponga on the other side is doing quite well.Why not challange BB ,either produce or you are out,Give a young one a chance to develop ,this season seems done.

PhillyFrog

I must be watching a completely different TCU defense.

I think a lot of peeps here don't realize these guys are thisclose to being a top-25 defense.

As far as the DL goes, Braylon is playing at least as well as Daniels did last year. Perhaps better, when you factor in the pass blocks; the kid came very close to picking and running one of those last Saturday.

You take away the bad calls, and the OT score (which is flag football if you ask me), and the McCoy strip, the Ponies struggle to score 21 points.

Gary started David Johnson for his quicks. You need that extra mobility against a guy like Walt Garrison. Er... Zach Line.

The scales have fallen from my eyes, and I now realize Kenny Cain is no Tanner Brock.

A one-handed Tank is less effective than a two-handed Tank.

I wish we had SMU's offensive line this year.

I could go on. But don't anyone be too surprised if we shut down Boise. The talent is certainly there.

TCUHorndFrog

I agree. If we don't start to get some pressure even last years secondary would look like this. I have a hard time thinking that McCoy was a part of last years defense that finished #1 in the nation and this year he is awful, there is a bigger issue. To try and help get pressure we are blitzing people and leaving our DBs to chase people around for 6-8 seconds.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
Was not Bralon Broughton a tranfer from another school.He has not done anything during his earlier years to mention,now that he is a senior and a starter, magnificent physical presence.yet very little footbal production.

Broughton originally signed with AZ but never enrolled and has spent his career at TCU. Kid started late playing football, lost both parents since starting HS and really and accomplished a lot for his situation. He is playing well and doesn't deserve your comments about him at all.

cdsfrog

they are a problem, but most FCS players would have given up less TDs than one of our corners. Either way, defense all around needs to some soul searching

People blaming the offense fail to realize this one fact. TCU NEVER in over 100 years has ever scored 33+ points in their first 5 games.

JugbandFrog

There has never been a secondary that has made a Dline look good, it is always the other way around though as a good dline can make a secondary look like all stars.

No matter how good you are back there, if the QB can find the weakness in the defense (good QB's read it quickly ala Beck and Bradford, mediocre QB's need time and a pocket). We give the mediocre ones too much time and space. A pass rush isn't always about getting to him, it is about making him uncomfortable and making them feel the pressure. A collapsing pocket is more frustrating to a QB than the occasional guy who gets to him.

cdsfrog

There has never been a secondary that has made a Dline look good, it is always the other way around though as a good dline can make a secondary look like all stars.

No matter how good you are back there, if the QB can find the weakness in the defense (good QB's read it quickly ala Beck and Bradford, mediocre QB's need time and a pocket). We give the mediocre ones too much time and space. A pass rush isn't always about getting to him, it is about making him uncomfortable and making them feel the pressure. A collapsing pocket is more frustrating to a QB than the occasional guy who gets to him.

Maybe so, but getting burnt a dozen times where the QB still misses 5 wide open passes leading to almost 200 yards........can't blame that on the dline.

OmniscienceFrog

they are a problem, but most FCS players would have given up less TDs than one of our corners. Either way, defense all around needs to some soul searching

People blaming the offense fail to realize this one fact. TCU NEVER in over 100 years has ever scored 33+ points in their first 5 games.

The offense is not the problem.

JugbandFrog

Maybe so, but getting burnt a dozen times where the QB still misses 5 wide open passes leading to almost 200 yards........can't blame that on the dline.
But that happens, even with our #1 defenses in the past. There have been near misses plenty of times and there were open guys, without pressure the QB has time to find the open guy and deliver the kind of throw needed to beat any coverage.

cdsfrog

But that happens, even with our #1 defenses in the past. There have been near misses plenty of times and there were open guys, without pressure the QB has time to find the open guy and deliver the kind of throw needed to beat any coverage.

a dozen times in one game.....against smu? that doesnt happen to #1 defenses, let alone any in the top 50

I could go on. But don't anyone be too surprised if we shut down Boise. The talent is certainly there.

You are out of your mind if you think we shut down Boise! The line gets no pressure on QB, WR are running wild, our LB's due to injury look slow to react. Boise St. one of the best teams in the nation is going to have a field day with our D. If the coaching staff takes the reins off the O we may score with the Broncos but we certainly are not going to shut anyone down especially BOISE! No one has shut them down, and I doubt anyone will this season.

Houston Frog

It's not any one unit at fault, it's everyone. The DL isn't getting pressure, the corners are getting burned consistently, the safeties can't cover anyone, and the LBs can't get to the QB when they are sent on a blitz.

So frustrating watching this team

JugbandFrog

You are out of your mind if you think we shut down Boise! The line gets no pressure on QB, WR are running wild, our LB's due to injury look slow to react. Boise St. one of the best teams in the nation is going to have a field day with our D. If the coaching staff takes the reins off the O we may score with the Broncos but we certainly are not going to shut anyone down especially BOISE! No one has shut them down, and I doubt anyone will this season.

I have the same feeling that we have Boise's number. The frustration of a let down season coupled with the desire to make a statement = a Boise upset. We have the talent on D, we just haven't put it together. I think we show a glimmer of what this team is capable of against Boise.