• The KillerFrogs

Thank God for Johnny Football

Thanks to him (and a few others) the NFL is acutely aware of the dangers of drafting high-risk, immature jerks like BM in this day and age. And ESPN's pulling him off their Heisman watch may mean his stock in that area is plummeting as well. Maybe, just maybe, Heisman voters are embarrassed enough over Cam Newton, Manziel, RGIII and Jameis Winston that they will take at least a cursory glance at character.

netty2424

Thanks to him (and a few others) the NFL is acutely aware of the dangers of drafting high-risk, immature jerks like BM in this day and age. And ESPN's pulling him off their Heisman watch may mean his stock in that area is plummeting as well. Maybe, just maybe, Heisman voters are embarrassed enough over Cam Newton, Manziel, RGIII and Jameis Winston that they will take at least a cursory glance at character.
When did he get pulled off the Heisman watch?

Hmmmm. Was on the CNN news feed but pulled down now. Wish I'd linked it. Too bad, but the original point still stands -- NFL teams are likely to be more leery of this jerk than they would have been five years ago.

W

Way of the Frog

Don't disagree with the premise of the OP, but I have a strong feeling that some team in the NFL will draft Baker Mayfield.

NFL is in a continued loop in regards to potential and talent being valued over other things. Mayfield plays a position many NFL teams are desperate to fill and he does have some talent. Not sure if he makes it in the NFL, but I do believe he will get a chance and be drafted.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
Perhaps someone should start a social media campaign concerning BM’s behavior towards other competitors. Would be hilarious if his Heisman Hopes were dashed by a hashtag.

FrogLifeYo

Baker 10 times the NFL prospect of Johnny M..Way stronger arm, better leader ( idiot is loved by his teammates), and probably some of the best footwork at the position in 25 years. He's going to be drafted in the first 2-3 rounds for sure..

His behavior, scrambling, and size are about the only qualities comparable to JM.

Sebastian S

Baker 10 times the NFL prospect of Johnny M..Way stronger arm, better leader ( idiot is loved by his teammates), and probably some of the best footwork at the position in 25 years. He's going to be drafted in the first 2-3 rounds for sure..

His behavior, scrambling, and size are about the only qualities comparable to JM.

So how did recruiting get it wrong?

Did he acquire these abilities in college?

Zubaz

NFL doesn't care if you are a jerk. There are TONS of jerks that have had long and successful NFL careers. The NFL cares if you being a jerk either violates the law, impacts your ability to play football, or reflects poorly on the team that you are playing for to the point where it costs them money. With the exception of one minor incident, Baker hasn't really done any of those things. OK maybe the crotch grab stuff would get him suspended a game, but that's about it. There are plenty of NFL teams that would take the gamble on his talent given the chance.

LOL at including RG3 in that list though. I dislike the guy as a TCU fan, and he didn't have a good pro career, but there's no way he deserves to be classified in the same group as Jameis, Newton, or Manziel.

FrogLifeYo

So how did recruiting get it wrong?

Did he acquire these abilities in college?

Recruiting services get things wrong all the time. Also skills that translate in CFB often don't translate in the NFL. JM got by on with his feet. Baker uses his feet way less than he did 2 years ago so yes, he's developed in College in ways JM never did..I don't think Baker is future star in the NFL but he could have decent shelf life. Finally JM never had an ounce of the competitive fire Baker has. It's pretty clear JM was a Spread system QB and was able to cash in on those numbers.

Frog-in-law1995

He's the penultimate Cleveland Browns first-rounder.

Sebastian S

The hater in me thinks Mayfield is benefiting from being part of a good team with a great offensive line.

We shall see how he does in the NFL where there is more parity across all positions.

BankerFrog

I don't think Baker will get drafted in the first round for sure, and possibly not even the second. He's a good college player, but his game doesn't look to carry over to the NFL as well as some others.

That being said, it is hysterical how some people on this board expect his draft stock to severely drop because of 1) being a drunk college kid in Fayetteville, and 2) doing a crotch grab on the field.

The NFL doesn't care about these minor offenses, and newsflash, neither does ANY INDUSTRY. You think a top lawyer who's an a-hole won't get a job? You think people care if a Hedge Fund manager gets a DUI but he's making 20% returns YoY? It's not just the NFL that looks at talent over character, it's basically every industry in the world.