• The KillerFrogs

Texas Monthly: The Big 12 Doomsday Clock Is Ticking

Toad Jones

TM thinks the sun rises and sets with UT. Always have
He's part of the Texas arrogance. Apparently most of TxMonthly is staffed by ut alums, otherwise they would have given more thought to this subject. This article did not sit well with TT, Baylor, UH people. That's a huge reading audience to play with.

So to that end we cancelled our subscription. In my family are grads of TT, Baylor, a small representation of dissatisfaction!

All they do anyway is rehash old articles, Austin politics, interesting state locations and put out an annual issue of the state's best lawyers, etc.

Limp Lizard

Every year, it's "Texas just need to recruit better." Damn.

Last 10 years 24/7 rating for Texas: 17, 10, 7, 25, 3, 3, 8, 15, 8, 3. No conference championships. No playoff appearances. 1 final AP top-10 (with a 10-4 record?!)

TCU last 10 years: 43, 39, 21, 28, 25, 32, 23, 54, 45, 20, One conference co-champ. 1-1 in NC playoffs. 4 final AP poll top-10's.

Just how well does Texas have to recruit to compete in the SEC?

Like with aggie, it ain't the recruiting.

Nick Danger

The Horns have taken that Charlie Strong/Tom Herman "poor recruiting" fallacy and turned it into some sort of "emotional salve" that they liberally apply every spring and summer to help rejuvenate their fragile psyche's, heading into yet another "The Horns are back" season.

Their thought is "We'll recruit better once we get to the SEC"!

Now, since they're headed to the SEC in 2024, they're probably going to need to switch to "Maximum strength Emotional Salve", if they don't, at least, make it to the conference championship game this year!

Last edited:

BleedNPurple

I’m a seller - not a buyer. It’s a long war. The B12 needs to start playing the SEC regularly and beating the dog [ Finebaum ] out of them and work on the television package. B12 is sitting on a gold mine and with the big [ Finebaum ]s gone the playing field is leveled to knock out SEC and B10 for dominance. Men Basketball counts too - Houston holding onto #2. This next B12 trick is not shabby at all- unless you’re a Longhorn crying rag.

The Horns have taken that Charlie Strong/Tom Herman "poor recruiting" fallacy and turned it into some sort of "emotional salve" that they liberally apply every spring and summer to help rejuvenate their fragile psyche's, heading into yet another "The Horns are back" season.

They're thought is "We'll recruit better once we get to the SEC"!

Now, since they're headed to the SEC in 2024, they probably going to need to switch to "Maximum strength Emotional Salve", if they don't, at least, make it to the conference championship game this year!
Is Texas now BYU? They have left TCU behind twice now so they can move to a new conference. Granted TCU did not own Texas for the years leading up to the breakup of the SWC. I am going to enjoy BYU crawling back to TCU’s conference after they went “independent” to get away from TCU the second time. Maybe someday Texas comes crawling back to TCU also.

hfhmilkman

This is my observations of Texas A&M and Texas the last few years. Caveat that I do not have a big sample space. If I were to describe both schools, recruiting, tactics, and team composition I would describe as eclectic. Multiple identities can work in the NFL where rosters has an infinite amount of time to work on football. It does not in college football. In my opinion the sum has to be greater than the parts. That means recruiting is focused to match a particular style. If you are Wisconsin prior to 2022 that meant recruiting road grading linemen, and developing tweeners into great 3-4 outside linebackers.

At a lesser level this was the failure of Scott Frost at Nebraska. You could never really say what Nebraska was under Frost. His roster was a reflection of his play calling. It was a set of cute and sometimes innovative play calls. Yet come the 2nd half when all that was left was your bread & butter, there were no goto plays to rely on.

Back to the Texas schools, the other thing that I believe destroys their culture is it seems to be all about the money. SEC schools have been paying players for ages. But it still is about playing football. Giving a kid up to seven figures of NIL when he has not even secured a starting job is absurd. No wonder A&M has so many players transferring. If there are no other ties to the school, a teenager may leave a myriad of reasons.

FrogCop19

Every year, it's "Texas just need to recruit better." Damn.

Last 10 years 24/7 rating for Texas: 17, 10, 7, 25, 3, 3, 8, 15, 8, 3. No conference championships. No playoff appearances. 1 final AP top-10 (with a 10-4 record?!)

TCU last 10 years: 43, 39, 21, 28, 25, 32, 23, 54, 45, 20, One conference co-champ. 1-1 in NC playoffs. 4 final AP poll top-10's.

Just how well does Texas have to recruit to compete in the SEC?

Like with aggie, it ain't the recruiting.
This is one of the most damning pieces of evidence I've ever seen re: ut football.

Like...seriously.

Eight

This is one of the most damning pieces of evidence I've ever seen re: ut football.

Like...seriously.

been that way since mack took over and aside from the 2 years with vince young and then the colt mccoy era they have underperformed when you look at the recruiting rankings and nfl talent that has gone through that program

FrogCop19

been that way since mack took over and aside from the 2 years with vince young and then the colt mccoy era they have underperformed when you look at the recruiting rankings and nfl talent that has gone through that program
I mean I've seen it, I know it, but to see the facts laid out like that relative to the year-in-year-out hype...makes me laugh in a very schadenfreude-y way.

Toad Jones

Like...seriously.
That's called the power of readership. Obviously ,I don't have to explain. That will continue. For TM to go against UT on any stage is lost of readership. But it is fun to poke fun at UT's arrogance and feeling of self-importance, but still TxMonthly still comes out smelling like a dandelion because this printing of the Big 12 impending dome creates interest and the desire to read why it is doomed. The way to create a pimple on their ass is to call them out and hope to decrease its importance of readership to the public. Possibly, they'll think twice the next time and most certainly degrade the importance of this writer in future renderings.

OBTW, some time in the future you'll read an article by TM saying the new Big12 is fascinating and indicates it may not be doomed after all. That's called a fig leaf of some regret for the doomed article. They may not want to do so, but that pimple needs a band-aid and triple antibiotic oint to heal some of the festering. .

Someone on staff will hear about this and call attention to editors, but at this time I just want to remind them, Baylor has a few important folks, TCU has a few important folks, TT has a few important folks too. All of them are members of the Doomed Conference with $$$. And you never fiddle with cash. Never!!

Eight

That's called the power of readership. Obviously ,I don't have to explain. That will continue. For TM to go against UT on any stage is lost of readership. But it is fun to poke fun at UT's arrogance and feeling of self-importance, but still TxMonthly still comes out smelling like a dandelion because this printing of the Big 12 impending dome creates interest and the desire to read why it is doomed. The way to create a pimple on their ass is to call them out and hope to decrease its importance of readership to the public. Possibly, they'll think twice the next time and most certainly degrade the importance of this writer in future renderings.

OBTW, some time in the future you'll read an article by TM saying the new Big12 is fascinating and indicates it may not be doomed after all. That's called a fig leaf of some regret for the doomed article. They may not want to do so, but that pimple needs a band-aid and triple antibiotic oint to heal some of the festering. .

Someone on staff will hear about this and call attention to editors, but at this time I just want to remind them, Baylor has a few important folks, TCU has a few important folks, TT has a few important folks too. All of them are members of the Doomed Conference with $$$. And you never fiddle with cash. Never!!

you lost me at texas monthly readership

Panther City Frog

Men Bald Is Beautiful GIF
see it at the barber shop along with the texas highways magazine and car and driver, plus one golf magazine that is 5-6 years old
Ha. Well I stopped needing a barber years ago!

Limp Lizard

Note that the NIL has had little effect on Texas or any of the blue bloods' rankings. People here keep yapping about we lose so many guys to NIL, but out recruiting is the best ever and the bluebloods keep getting great classes as they always have. aggy has probably been helped, although easier since it is predominantly above the table. Tech might do better. Actually, TCU now has another arrow in its quill in order to get the stardust out of the eyes of the 17-18 YO recruits.

The bluebloods will continue get good recruits just by saying their names to the kids. We need to keep winning to get more and more top recruits. That will help more than a giant NIL system.