• The KillerFrogs

Texas High School Finals

Armadillo

I swear there’s always one guy on the field in the 6-man championships that looks D1. Stronger, faster, etc than everyone else out there. But I also know very few ever earn D1 offers. Very rare.

But I do love these 4 days in December. A celebration of Friday Night Lights.

Chongo94

What classification is Hawley these days…3A?

Apparently Tech has at least 1 if not two recruits from them. I get the whole diamond in the rough thing but if this is where their recruiting hauls are coming from, well, good luck to Maguire.

Eight

What classification is Hawley these days…3A?

Apparently Tech has at least 1 if not two recruits from them. I get the whole diamond in the rough thing but if this is where their recruiting hauls are coming from, well, good luck to Maguire.

if hawley is playing refugio then 2a, but munday a few years back had a couple of recruits and newton during their title runs a few years back had the 3 players who signed w tcu, the defensive lineman who signed w baylor the next year, and barlow's backup at newton signed w usc

4 Oaks Frog

I swear there’s always one guy on the field in the 6-man championships that looks D1. Stronger, faster, etc than everyone else out there. But I also know very few ever earn D1 offers. Very rare.

But I do love these 4 days in December. A celebration of Friday Night Lights.
1-A is not always 6-man. Remember, TCU’s Charlie Davis from 11-man Wortham? It was a Class B school back then, but 1-A now. His brother Kenneth did OK and little brother, Leonard was amazing at ut and the Cowboys…

Chongo94

if hawley is playing refugio then 2a, but munday a few years back had a couple of recruits and newton during their title runs a few years back had the 3 players who signed w tcu, the defensive lineman who signed w baylor the next year, and barlow's backup at newton signed w usc
That’s what it was, 2a then, wow.

Yeah I remember them but I don’t think Hawley mirrors Newton’s ability usually. Can’t remember the last big name from a small more west Texan team that actually ended up doing much in college. Course I don’t follow recruiting that much either.

Frog92

That’s what it was, 2a then, wow.

Yeah I remember them but I don’t think Hawley mirrors Newton’s ability usually. Can’t remember the last big name from a small more west Texan team that actually ended up doing much in college. Course I don’t follow recruiting that much either.
Colt McCoy says hi

Frog92

So a guy that played college ball over a decade ago? Yeah, thinking my point still stands then.

No doubt he was great but it just seems few and far between with the smaller west Texas schools that a productive D1 college player happens.
Fair. I don't know enough about where kids from 3A or smaller schools out west have gone to have an informed opinion.

I do know that my 2A high school in the late 80s/early 90s (which would now be 3A) in consecutive years produced a UT WR/KR that contributed, then a Baylor weekend starting pitcher, then a TT QB that was 2nd string for 3 years behind Gill and a Baylor hurdler, then a TCU safety, then a TT OL and a Tarleton QB - which isn't particularly notable except he then went on to be a D1 football head coach, recently fired at Tulsa. Maybe times have changed but I doubt it. Those small towns today are much the same as they were 35 years ago.

That was an exceptionally good stretch for a school that size, no doubt. My point is guys do come out of places like that, Colt being the best example I can think of off the top of my head. He was in the same district as my former HS though obviously much younger.

For that matter, the TT freshman QB Morton is also from my HS. Time will tell how he pans out.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
So a guy that played college ball over a decade ago? Yeah, thinking my point still stands then.

No doubt he was great but it just seems few and far between with the smaller west Texas schools that a productive D1 college player happens.
How about East Bernard, Columbus, Maud, Gladewater? Not west Texas, but still smaller schools who have sent some good players to Ft Worth?

Chongo94

Fair. I don't know enough about where kids from 3A or smaller schools out west have gone to have an informed opinion.

I do know that my 2A high school in the late 80s/early 90s (which would now be 3A) in consecutive years produced a UT WR/KR that contributed, then a Baylor weekend starting pitcher, then a TT QB that was 2nd string for 3 years behind Gill and a Baylor hurdler, then a TCU safety, then a TT OL and a Tarleton QB - which isn't particularly notable except he then went on to be a D1 football head coach, recently fired at Tulsa. Maybe times have changed but I doubt it. Those small towns today are much the same as they were 35 years ago.

That was an exceptionally good stretch for a school that size, no doubt. My point is guys do come out of places like that, Colt being the best example I can think of off the top of my head. He was in the same district as my former HS though obviously much younger.

For that matter, the TT freshman QB Morton is also from my HS. Time will tell how he pans out.
Forgot about that Morton kid. See I don’t keep up with it enough to know either. I’m just going off of general knowledge and commentators’ comments. Your high school seemed to have a nice pipeline for sure.

It just feels like there should be some more playing in college with as many smaller west Texas schools that do so well in the playoffs and whatnot.

Chongo94

How about East Bernard, Columbus, Maud, Gladewater? Not west Texas, but still smaller schools who have sent some good players to Ft Worth?
Well that’s my point, East Texas small teams don’t seem to have that issue. They seem to produce college players even with their smaller enrollments.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Where a kid grew up, and whether he caught the eye of a scout are irrelevant to talent. Many diamonds get tossed out with the gravel because they were never noticed.

Wasn't there some guy named Baugh that grew up in a tiny west Texas town?