• The KillerFrogs

TCU youth baseball camps

Pharm Frog

How old is your kid?

Feisty is right....this question needs to be answered. Other questions to answer are: At what comparative level is the kid playing ball presently? And, what do you want to accomplish via camp participation? My son attended several TCU baseball camps and also received private instruction from Derek Matlock, Ryan Schotzberger, and others including Todd Whitting to a lesser extent.... As for the quality of instruction and camper-coach ratio, it's all good in my opinion.

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
He'd be 8 when camps start.

Its fine, mostly a rah rah at that age and kids get a kick out of it. They keep them active and if they are TCU fans they will enjoy it. A lot of kids however and really just for the experience, nothing to be learned.

Pharm Frog

He'd be 8 when camps start.

Perfect age IMO to foster a love for the game, begin developing fundamentals, getting ties into a college program that he can follow, and gaining some plate and field confidence. I assume that he's in a coach-pitch environment right now or perhaps an older t-baller....

Pharm Frog

Its fine, mostly a rah rah at that age and kids get a kick out of it. They keep them active and if they are TCU fans they will enjoy it. A lot of kids however and really just for the experience, nothing to be learned.

I wouldn't necessarily say that "nothing to be learned" unless things have changed a lot since my kid attended. Rah Rah = yes. Keeping active = yes. Neat experience = yes. Lot of kids = yes, and I understand that there are a lot more than there used to be. As for who is brought in to instruct....at that age my son was much more interested in getting to play with ballplayers he had seen on the diamond like Shelby Ford, Matt Carpenter, Chad Huffman, Jake Arrieta, and some fella from Panama who's name escapes me. I don't think it would have mattered to him if Orel Hershiser would have been there for pitching instruction at that age. As for instruction.....my kid still talks about Derek Matlock (currently in San Marcos).

I went for a few years. The coaches at these camps are the players them selfs and some of the coaches. Its a lot of fun. I always had a great time. This is a really good place to learn pitching and batting. They throw in some combine action and let you know where you would stand if trying out. You will definatly want your kid going to this camp in high school. Great place to get looked at.