• The KillerFrogs

TCU Men's Tennis 2022-23

FrogUltimate

And while you're there asking uncomfortable questions, see whether he got asked to tour with Norrie first or if Lugones was the choice from the get go.

Norrie first asked assistant coach Bowen actually. Tried to convince him but Bowen wasn't cool with traveling the world since he has family.

Longfrog

12.1.2.4.2 Exception for Prize Money -- Tennis. 12.1.2.4.2.1 Prior to Full-Time Collegiate Enrollment. In tennis, prior to full-time collegiate enrollment, an individual may accept up to $10,000 per calendar year in prize money based on place finish or performance in athletics events. Such prize money may be provided only by the sponsor of an event in which the individual participates. Once the individual has accepted $10,000 in prize money in a particular year, the individual may receive additional prize money on a per-event basis, provided such prize money does not exceed the individual's actual and necessary expenses for participation in the event. The calculation of actual and necessary expenses shall not include the expenses or fees of anyone other than the individual (e.g., coach's fees or expenses, family member's expenses). (Adopted: 4/26/12, Revised: 1/19/13 effective 8/1/13)

12.3.1.4 Benefits from Prospective Agents. [A] An individual shall be ineligible per Bylaw 12.3.1 if the individual (or family members or friends) accepts transportation or other benefits from: (Revised: 1/14/97, 1/16/19) (a) Any person who represents any individual in the marketing of athletics ability. The receipt of such expenses constitutes compensation based on athletics skill and is an extra benefit not available to the student body in general; or (b) An agent, even if the agent has indicated no interest in representing the student-athlete in the marketing of the student athlete's athletics ability or reputation and does not represent individuals in the student-athlete's sport.

Reviewing Pinnington's history, I don't think earnings would be an issue. He won 2 futures tourneys in 2021 but both were M15s. Winner gets $2100.

Bigger issue would be if he signed/ had contact with an agent. The excerpt above is just one example, but lots of other areas where seemingly benign contact with agents results in loss of amateur status. I assume people on this board are familiar the general contours from following other sports. Looking at the code, it doesn't seem like any of that was overturned by Supreme Court ruling, but like I said, I'm real ignorant on all the NIL ramifications.

It wouldn't surprise me if there's an extended investigation on him due to his stature and the fact he's been playing at a higher level than most other recruits. I'm sure agents have been circling for a few years now. That would explain why TCU would want to wait until he's cleared before promoting him and treating him like a fully fledged student athlete. I'd also assume he can't enter any events til that process is complete. Or it could mean they already completed the process and gave him the under the table 1-year probationary punishment the guy at FSU evidently got. But that guy's 22 now. Pinnington's 19 and too good to stick around through all that if that were the result.

FrogUltimate

Reviewing Pinnington's history, I don't think earnings would be an issue. He won 2 futures tourneys in 2021 but both were M15s. Winner gets $2100.

Bigger issue would be if he signed/ had contact with an agent. The excerpt above is just one example, but lots of other areas where seemingly benign contact with agents results in loss of amateur status. I assume people on this board are familiar the general contours from following other sports. Looking at the code, it doesn't seem like any of that was overturned by Supreme Court ruling, but like I said, I'm real ignorant on all the NIL ramifications.

It wouldn't surprise me if there's an extended investigation on him due to his stature and the fact he's been playing at a higher level than most other recruits. I'm sure agents have been circling for a few years now. That would explain why TCU would want to wait until he's cleared before promoting him and treating him like a fully fledged student athlete. I'd also assume he can't enter any events til that process is complete. Or it could mean they already completed the process and gave him the under the table 1-year probationary punishment the guy at FSU evidently got. But that guy's 22 now. Pinnington's 19 and too good to stick around through all that if that were the result.

Nice work. Yeh - thinking TCU wants to be careful not to do something that jeopardizes our entire season's results via disqualification.

The whole thing is ridiculous. Bryce Young is on a different TV commercial for Dr Pepper every 15 minutes and Ewers has a Lamborghini but we are worried that Pinnington had coffee with an agent.

Longfrog

After a bye Cam wins 2 & 2 over a wild card in Seoul. Faced no break points, won 74% of total points. Gets Brooksby next in a match sure to thrill the general tennis enthusiast. /s

Longfrog

Men's All American tournament still going in Tulsa. Overall it's been pretty disappointing for the Frogs. Fomba is still in the singles main draw in R16 but everyone else lost in the qualifying round. After a rash of upsets, Fomba is the highest seed remaining in the draw. Fearnley and Gorzny did not play. Not sure why but the video of Fearnley seemed to show him laboring physically at the end of that Bay area tournament.

Fomba and Vives played doubles as an unseeded team and lost in R16 in a 3rd set superbreaker. Jong/Maxted were #2 seeds and lost in straights in R16.

Longfrog

Other teams that could contend:

USC
Stanford
Georgia
Harvard

I may need to revise my assessment of Georgia from potential to clear-cut contender. The final of the All-American tournament featured two Bulldogs, and the winner was a RS freshman. Fomba lost in the QFs.

Longfrog

Fearnley loses 6 & 6 to Vacherot. Double faulted on match point at 5-6 in the 2nd breaker. We'll see how things shake out, but I think Fearnley is the guy who's levelled up in the offseason. I would slot him above Jong at the moment.

Longfrog

Norrie wins in Vienna in a breaker in the 3rd. Faces winner of Griekspoor/Giron.

Pinnington is playing the Vegas challenger, got through qualifying, and then beat world #123 Pospisil in the 1st round today. Faces Sandgren tomorrow. I haven't seen any updates on his playing status, but he was wearing TCU gear today.

Longfrog

I guess we allowed this thread languish while players were on a break and TCU fans were distracted by other, less gentlemanly sports. But the pro tour is going strong, and the college game is days away from starting the team season. So it's time we get it fired up.

I'll save some thoughts on the current frogs for later, but Cam Norrie deserves a shoutout as he's had an awesome start to 2023. Playing in some new goofy team event last week, he came away undefeated with wins over de Minaur (in straights, in Australia), Nadal, and a red hot Fritz. I believe that was his first win over Rafa. He's now playing in the New Zealand 250 event leading into the Aussie Open. That's the one where he reached the final in 2019 as a wild card. He's now the top seed remaining as Ruud lost, so a great chance to take the title in front of his home fans.

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
Given lack of professional interest, I won't spend much time posting but a lot of really cool Norrie stuff from the Laver Cup. He gets to say he was on team Europe with Fed, Nadal and Djokovic in their last time together, ever and on hand for Fed's last match. So if you are so inclined, go check it out. Probably the coolest tennis thing of the year for me.
FWIW I’m reading. I read for the TCU content but I know very little about the technical aspect of the sport so I rarely comment. I find Roditi fascinating

Endless Purple

May be too early to say much, but I was curious as to the expectations for men's tennis in the Big 12. UT and OU leaving and only BYU and UCF have men's teams to replace them. Seems like a drop off for only a 6 team conference sport. Will that also affect the overall quality in a sport like tennis or is it somewhat immune to the conference reputation?